The Official Driving Test/Road Tests Tips Thread

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#181 DChesters

DChesters

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:11 PM

Just went on my road test this morning and passed on my first try. Had 25 pts. deducted though for aggressive driving and parking too far from the curb LOL, thought I failed as the exam took less than 15 minutes. This thread was definitely very helpful, although some of the pictures are not available anymore. 

#182 Lik

Lik

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:30 PM

OK guys, I've scanned through the whole topic and I need you to please give me/us the route for the advanced road test, at Crowfoot Plates.

I live downtown, but only found test time that fits me at Crowfoot Plates. ..I know... :ermm:  I've never driven there, through the neighborhood and I see from your posts that there are a number of unregulated intersections and other "traps" etc.

So, I'm asking you to pleeeease screen-shot Google maps of that area and mark the route. Please, don't be lazy. You can do it quickly. I can't afford to fail, $150 hurts and my wife is pregnant (I'm being honest), so I need to pass this one in order to be the one to sit next to her. She used to drive in Europe, but needs CAN license. (Her license is not on the list for switching with CAN).

I am not a bad driver. I can objectively say that I'm a really good and courteous one. It's just that it's a totally new neighborhood for me and if one wants to be realistic - everyone makes stupid mistakes, such as going slower through, for him/her new residential areas, because you are simply not familiar with the area and don't know what to expect where.

Please, I would really appreciate that ASAP.  :|

PS. DChesters: Which one did you do - basic/advanced?

Thank you,

Lik 

• DChesters likes this

#183 Lik

Lik

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:33 AM

OK folks. So, DCHesters did the basic one. I still need tips from you who did the advanced at Crowfoot Plates.

Lik

Edited by Lik, 21 August 2013 - 09:29 AM.

#184 Jonathanl10

Jonathanl10

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:07 PM

Got a question. Do they do a vision test after the 5 Basic?

#185 Lik

Lik

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:15 PM

Don't know, sorry. Anyone else?

#186 Lik

Lik

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:25 PM

C'mon guys... Poor me needs your help... :(

...or don't do a screenshot, just say left to this street, right to that and so on....and mention tricky sections. Please and thanks!

#187 chconline

chconline

Editor-in-Chief

• Executive Staff Team
  • 28,087 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:52 PM

OK folks. So, DCHesters did the basic one. I still need tips from you who did the advanced at Crowfoot Plates.

Lik

I'm pretty sure they just do a Crowchild run. I don't know the route, but it should be pretty straightforward. Don't speed on the highway.

Got a question. Do they do a vision test after the 5 Basic?

I don't think so, but I could be wrong.

hYaFpiq.png

#188 anna

anna

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

Does anyone know that can you use reverse camera for basic road test in Alberta?

#189 TL6MT

TL6MT

I drive an Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT

• +Subscriber
  • 4,502 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:11 AM

Does anyone know that can you use reverse camera for basic road test in Alberta?

Not sure about where you live but I would use it in supplement (Look in mirror, look back) in addition to the camera, don't use it to replace it.

Posted Image

#190 chconline

chconline

Editor-in-Chief

• Executive Staff Team
  • 28,087 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:03 PM

Not sure about where you live but I would use it in supplement (Look in mirror, look back) in addition to the camera, don't use it to replace it.

+1, good advice. Use it like your mirror (But don't forget to use your mirror).

hYaFpiq.png

#191 Jonathanl10

Jonathanl10

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:17 PM

Have another question. When doing the downhill/uphill parking, do we just signal, enter the space. Turn the steering wheel to the correct direction ALL THE WAY, put it in park then handbrake? Also if its uphill do we have to let the car roll and touch the curb? Or can we just handbrake and park it?

Edited by Jonathanl10, 08 September 2013 - 03:18 PM.

#192 chconline

chconline

Editor-in-Chief

• Executive Staff Team
  • 28,087 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:04 PM

Turn the wheel, roll to curb, parking brake.

In real life, just park and pull the handbrake. Don't tell your instructor that :P

hYaFpiq.png