• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

#221 Big Bang

Big Bang

APH Platinum

• +Subscriber
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:10 AM

:P You can always use an Old ****ty car to do your Exam. Not enough Power to go Uphill = Examiner can't do anything.

Posted Image
Camaro SS FTW

#222 chconline

chconline

Editor-in-Chief

• Executive Staff Team
  • 29,516 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:14 PM

:P You can always use an Old Shitty car to do your Exam. Not enough Power to go Uphill = Examiner can't do anything.

My friend did that before. A beige Corolla. :D

C4WIroh.png

#223 mary666

mary666

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:56 AM

I have my test next week, gdl exempt and going for the advanced one. 

I was wondering how does the exam start? Do you have to open the hood and explain where you pour in the cleanser etc? I had to do that in Poland, also had to tell the examiner which lights are which and all that. Will he/she ask questions like that?

#224 performance_1

performance_1

APH Prestige

• Members
  • 861 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 05:31 PM

don't think so

even so it should be easy

#225 ymmyyc1994

ymmyyc1994

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 07:42 PM

Thank you for this thread, its made me less nervous, but also a little more nervous at the same time. I took and passed my basic test on my 16th birthday with no problems. Then in 2013, I tried my advanced road test in Fort McMurray and I failed for coming to an unnecessary stop- just being too cautious. I understood my mistake, but as I finished, the instructor said to me 'I haven't had a good driver all day, I was hoping you'd be different'. This really rattled me and made me not want to try again.

Now, on to today, I recently moved to Cochrane and have scheduled my test here for May 1st (the first time slot of the day). I'm pretty nervous because I don't know the area too well, so mostly I've just been driving around with people telling me 'turn left here, switch lanes' etc, so I can get used to speed limits, playground/school zones etc. So if anybody has any tips for the Cochrane road test, it would be much appreciated!

Sorry for the long post, but I have a few specific questions.

1:What if I am 3rd or so in line for an advanced green that will not turn into  solid green and there is a big semi in front of me and I can't see the light? Do I stay behind the line until he is clear? Would that not be obstructing traffic though? If I wait a long time?

2: Similarly, turning left on a solid green, if it is only me in the intersection and someone in the oncoming traffic goes through the light way too late, and I am forced to turn on red, is this an automatic fail?

3: Do I check my blindspot EVERY time I turn right even if I am exiting the highway

4: If a pedestrian is waiting at the side of the road, NOT a crosswalk and NOT starting to cross, do I stop for them? 

Finally, 5: Anyone who's taken their advanced test recently had to park? I had to parallel park, hill park and back into a space, but no one else I've talked to had to park at all, except of course, at the end of their test.

Thanks!

#226 chconline

chconline

Editor-in-Chief

• Executive Staff Team
  • 29,516 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:39 AM

Thank you for this thread, its made me less nervous, but also a little more nervous at the same time. I took and passed my basic test on my 16th birthday with no problems. Then in 2013, I tried my advanced road test in Fort McMurray and I failed for coming to an unnecessary stop- just being too cautious. I understood my mistake, but as I finished, the instructor said to me 'I haven't had a good driver all day, I was hoping you'd be different'. This really rattled me and made me not want to try again.

Now, on to today, I recently moved to Cochrane and have scheduled my test here for May 1st (the first time slot of the day). I'm pretty nervous because I don't know the area too well, so mostly I've just been driving around with people telling me 'turn left here, switch lanes' etc, so I can get used to speed limits, playground/school zones etc. So if anybody has any tips for the Cochrane road test, it would be much appreciated!

Sorry for the long post, but I have a few specific questions.

1:What if I am 3rd or so in line for an advanced green that will not turn into  solid green and there is a big semi in front of me and I can't see the light? Do I stay behind the line until he is clear? Would that not be obstructing traffic though? If I wait a long time?

2: Similarly, turning left on a solid green, if it is only me in the intersection and someone in the oncoming traffic goes through the light way too late, and I am forced to turn on red, is this an automatic fail?

3: Do I check my blindspot EVERY time I turn right even if I am exiting the highway

4: If a pedestrian is waiting at the side of the road, NOT a crosswalk and NOT starting to cross, do I stop for them? 

Finally, 5: Anyone who's taken their advanced test recently had to park? I had to parallel park, hill park and back into a space, but no one else I've talked to had to park at all, except of course, at the end of their test.

Thanks!

Cochrane should be pretty easy. I used to work there, and there isn't much going on.

For the questions:

1. I would just accelerate slower. But you still got to go.

2. No. Red means to clear the intersection on your end.

3. For the purpose of the exam, anytime you signal (There could be bikes for what they claim :P)

4. This depends on the examiner on how to react to that. The general rule is, if they don't step into the road when you are crossing, you are fine. The moment one feet dips onto the road, and you are moving through, you've failed.

5. No. That's a basic test requirement.

C4WIroh.png

#227 virtualboy2015

virtualboy2015

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 10:22 AM

Hi , I'm new in Calgary. Appreciate if anybody can advise me the route of the road test in Southland.

This will help me prepare for the actual road test. Thanks.

#228 umiman

umiman

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 02:43 PM

I know it's been several years but I really want to thank the guys in this forum for this guide and all other advice.

It's only because of this thread that I managed to pass my advanced road test on the first try as the info here helped me to know what to practice and what to do. Thanks guys, you saved me potentially hundreds of dollars.

#229 ymmyyc1994

ymmyyc1994

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:50 AM

Cochrane should be pretty easy. I used to work there, and there isn't much going on.

For the questions:

1. I would just accelerate slower. But you still got to go.

2. No. Red means to clear the intersection on your end.

3. For the purpose of the exam, anytime you signal (There could be bikes for what they claim :P)

4. This depends on the examiner on how to react to that. The general rule is, if they don't step into the road when you are crossing, you are fine. The moment one feet dips onto the road, and you are moving through, you've failed.

5. No. That's a basic test requirement.

Thanks! I just passed! However, I did have to parallel park and hill park, so anyone who is taking it soon make sure to practice those!

#230 TL6MT

TL6MT

I drive an Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT

• +Subscriber
  • 5,405 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 05:13 PM

Congrats all.

#231 Ah Jaysus

Ah Jaysus

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 01:09 PM

Hi , I'm new in Calgary. Appreciate if anybody can advise me the route of the road test in Southland.

This will help me prepare for the actual road test. Thanks.

Nice thread,  thanks all.   I'm doing my advanced test soon at Southland.    Can you tell me how it went there please?   

Can anyone tell my how strict the examiners are on giving commentary (eg.  I'm entering a playground zone and I'm slowing down to 30 etc) about everything I'm doing? 

Edited by Ah Jaysus, 03 July 2015 - 01:09 PM.