15 replies to this topic

#1 chconline

chconline

Editor-in-Chief

• Executive Staff Team
  • 28,509 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:59 AM

http://aphnetworks.c...y-reset-restore

From Tom's Hardware: We all know about "Windows rot," where the operating system slowly degenerates to a slow, sluggish state after numerous installs, uninstalls, and other things that a system accumulates over time.

Those of us who perform good housekeeping practices on our computers keep our Windows installs running better, longer, but that's not the case for everyone. The action of a fresh format and/or reinstall can make things feel new again, even on old hardware. And now it seems that Microsoft could be building a reinstall feature into Windows 8.

As seen in some of the leaked presentation slides, Microsoft could have a recovery option to "reset Windows" while retaining all personal files and user accounts. One of the presentation images shows the option of reinstalling all of the app purchases from the Microsoft App Store. Interesting stuff.

Interesting, IMO. To be honest with Windows XP and especially Windows Vista and later, I never found the need to reformat at any time with good housekeeping. But this is interesting nevertheless. Kind of like what Apple has been doing with the iPhone on the Restore feature? (It reloads the OS and files/apps, I have to use it since I jailbreak my phone)
hYaFpiq.png

#2 TL6MT

TL6MT

I drive an Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT

• +Subscriber
  • 4,787 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:38 PM

This caters to noobs who don't know how to maintain their computers and format every other day and complain why microsoft sucks ***. Nothing wrong with Windows right now but the approach looks good to me.
  • shc-boomer and aeroLai like this

#3 Big Bang

Big Bang

APH Platinum

• +Subscriber
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 01:01 PM

I never had to Reformat but I'll be interested to see how it works out. What about OEMs putting **** on my Computer would it reset to that or a Fresh one?
  • shc-boomer likes this
Posted Image
Camaro SS FTW

#4 shc-boomer

shc-boomer

News Director

• Staff Team
  • 11,532 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 03:59 PM

I never had to Reformat but I'll be interested to see how it works out. What about OEMs putting **** on my Computer would it reset to that or a Fresh one?

That is a good question, I would guess that Microsoft will allow OEMs to set the reset points to it, making sure their bloatware is still there.

#5 Agent47

Agent47

APH Member

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:13 PM

Doesn't this already exist as Windows XP's repair option when booting from CD?
  • shc-boomer likes this

#6 chconline

chconline

Editor-in-Chief

• Executive Staff Team
  • 28,509 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:51 PM

It's similar to the iPhone in implementation with regards to applications purchased online. It reloads Windows, all your files, as well as the programs.
hYaFpiq.png

#7 TL6MT

TL6MT

• +Subscriber
  • 4,787 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:23 PM

Doesn't this already exist as Windows XP's repair option when booting from CD?

No you have to reinstall all your programs - and it never really works as advertised - better off with a full reinstall.
  • shc-boomer likes this

#8 shc-boomer

shc-boomer

News Director

• Staff Team
  • 11,532 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:26 AM

No you have to reinstall all your programs - and it never really works as advertised - better off with a full reinstall.

Agreed, I tried this before in XP and all it really led to was more pain. A quick reformat and reinstall always worked better.

#9 shift

shift

Forum Experience Advisor

• Staff Team
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:33 AM

Sounds good on paper, though for even the average computer user that knows how to defragment and run spyware scans this would probably be of little use.
Posted Image

#10 chconline

chconline

Editor-in-Chief

• Executive Staff Team
  • 28,509 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:40 AM

Haha, with NTFS and Windows Vista/Windows 7 defragmenting is not even an issue anymore... NTFS doesn't gain much from such; not to mention that Windows automatically defragments your hard drive when the computer is idling. Plug in Microsoft Security Essentials and run CCleaner once in a while when you reinstall/uninstall programs does magic for me personally.
hYaFpiq.png

#11 shift

shift

Forum Experience Advisor

• Staff Team
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:36 PM

Haha, with NTFS and Windows Vista/Windows 7 defragmenting is not even an issue anymore... NTFS doesn't gain much from such; not to mention that Windows automatically defragments your hard drive when the computer is idling. Plug in Microsoft Security Essentials and run CCleaner once in a while when you reinstall/uninstall programs does magic for me personally.

Exactly, and with the increasing popularity of the SSDs defragging is not even required.
Posted Image

#12 shc-boomer

shc-boomer

News Director

• Staff Team
  • 11,532 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:04 PM

Exactly, and with the increasing popularity of the SSDs defragging is not even required.

Agreed, with prices on SSDs going down as well and lifetime going up, defragging in a thing of the past.

#13 Big Bang

Big Bang

APH Platinum

• +Subscriber
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:05 AM

That is a good question, I would guess that Microsoft will allow OEMs to set the reset points to it, making sure their bloatware is still there.

Reset Point or full Reset? If it fully resets it would make getting Crapware off new retail computers a lot easier.
  • shc-boomer likes this
Posted Image
Camaro SS FTW

#14 shc-boomer

shc-boomer

News Director

• Staff Team
  • 11,532 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:44 AM

Reset Point or full Reset? If it fully resets it would make getting Crapware off new retail computers a lot easier.

Well, that is a question that I can almost assure that it will not be a full reset. OEMs make money from the bloatware and I can assure you that MS wants to maximize profits from the OEMs, so is there a chance that it is a full reset, sure but it is much slimmer than the reset points.

#15 chconline

chconline

Editor-in-Chief

• Executive Staff Team
  • 28,509 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:50 AM

Where does it talk about reset points in the article? :P (Otherwise that is more like System Restore, which is one of the most useless features that I don't bother with since it barely works as advertised... Previous Versions is awesome though.)
hYaFpiq.png

#16 TL6MT

TL6MT

• +Subscriber
  • 4,787 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:11 PM

Nowhere - but I too are wondering if this is a real ms feature that can't be touched by OEMs.