• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 CrashGordon

CrashGordon

The Perfect Threesome: Lime, Salt & Tequila

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:13 AM

Chris Broderick - Chaos Theory #3My vote is for Chris Broderick (currently with Megadeth). Seeing him play live (and at the Guitar Center up the road) and Dave (Mustaine) saying their partnership is like the Ozzy/Randy Rhodes one. Dude is so fluid and makes it look effortless.

Betcha can't play this:

Also from Guitar World Chaos Theory #3 With Chris Broderick

Edited by CrashGordon, 17 January 2013 - 01:19 AM.

BassRigSig1.png

My baby: Jackson JS3 Kelly Bird IV in Transparent Blue Burst.

#2 Big Bang

Big Bang

APH Platinum

• +Subscriber
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

Mark Knopfler.

Posted Image
Camaro SS FTW

#3 CrashGordon

CrashGordon

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

Yeah, his sound and style is unique. To play anything by him (properly anyways) required you to learn to "finger pick" too. Dire Straits - Sultans Of Swing is classic Mark, the solo is amazing.

A little more about Chris. I've been watching some of his vids trying to learn his style. At first I thought he was using a thumb pick (mainly used to play a banjo) but it's not. He's made a "pick clip" http://chrisbroderick.com/blog/store/

Pretty nifty, usually when using a two-handed (or tapping aka Eddie Van Halen) I'd just drop the pick then snag a new one from the mic stand or one I had in a clip on my guitar. But that takes time to grab and get positioned.

Side note: I mainly play rock/metal stuff, but I love classical guitar. Randy Rhodes, Yngwie Malmsteen (pronounced ING-vay), and Chris Brodrick style stuff. Although I like old school classical guitar like Andrés Segovia.

Edited by CrashGordon, 18 January 2013 - 10:36 PM.

BassRigSig1.png

#4 TL6MT

TL6MT

I drive an Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT

• +Subscriber
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

I think its Alex Lifeson, but I've been out of the music scene for a long time. Good picks Crash. We don't get a lot of these discussions here at APH!

#5 CrashGordon

CrashGordon

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

Yeah man, Rush kicks ***, for just three guys they rock. Geddy and Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) are the main reason I picked up the bass. I actually like playing bass more than guitar.

The most under-played (radio wise) is my long time fav Iron Maiden.

Found this while searching youtube. From Abbey Road Studios. Live session of Maiden doing Brighter Than a Thousand Suns, and one of my all time classic tunes Hallowed Be Thy Name. The mix is excelent. I can hear every nuance and Steves trademark "galloping" triplets can easily be heard. Nico is his usual crazy self.

And hey BB, Bruce (the singer) is a pilot too. The band has a 757 (Ed Force One) they tour in.

BassRigSig1.png

#6 Big Bang

Big Bang

APH Platinum

• +Subscriber
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

:P Nice didn't know that. Probably need to pick up the old Guitar again soon. Gettin kind of old now and havent played for Years. Rock out :D

Posted Image
Camaro SS FTW

#7 CrashGordon

CrashGordon

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

A tip I learned quite some time ago and do to all my guitars and basses. If they have a polyurethane (clear coat) on the back of the neck. Take some fine (200-400grit) sand cloth and remove it. It'll keep your thumb from "sticking" although you'll need to rub some tung or linseed oil on it every so often.

Yeah, been awhile since I really played much. Sold all my guitar gear (racing gets expensive), except my Fender acoustic and my bass gear has been on loan to a buddy for a few years. I should either get my bass setup back or sell it to him. :P

Nothing too special, Ibanez SR605 5 string fretless, GK 400RB III head, SWR 1x15 and Hartke 2x10 cabs. Since I'm kinda getting out of racing (more things I have to do at the PCA events) and only 4 a year, I'm starting to miss my instruments. I've got room in the basement to setup a jam room with some sound-proofing for the neighbors and wife. :P

EDIT: Holy schnikes. Just looked at Guitar Center for something like my old setup. I'm not paying $2400 for a Marshall JCM800 head, although back in the day I think I paid around 1500 for a "slightly" used one. I'll probably get a MA100H, still all tube. I do however remember paying close to a grand for my prized Jackson with some custom work done. Like switch the pickups to some Seymour Duncan Distortion+ and adding a kill switch. And the current one would be about the same price.

http://www.guitarcen...995-i2638757.gc Although I might could live with the stock pickups.

Edited by CrashGordon, 28 January 2013 - 05:47 PM.

BassRigSig1.png

#8 shift

shift

Community Forums Director

• Staff Team
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

Joe Satriani 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mE2aIUnevI

Posted Image

#9 TL6MT

TL6MT

I drive an Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT

• +Subscriber
  • 4,731 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

^ That is not bad at all.

#10 CrashGordon

CrashGordon

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

Yep, Joe has mad skillz too.

Little triva: Kirk Hammet (Metallica) was a student of Joe at one time.

Edited by CrashGordon, 29 January 2013 - 04:27 PM.

BassRigSig1.png

#11 Big Bang

Big Bang

APH Platinum

• +Subscriber
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

He has pretty good Skills... but it seems so... Artiifical to me.

Posted Image
Camaro SS FTW

#12 CrashGordon

CrashGordon

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

Yeah, maybe a little. Not really artificial, but sterile/clinical, like it's forced emotion or something. Unlike say David Gilmour (Pink Floyd). Playing the notes are fairly easy, but getting the "feeling" into it is the difficult part.

Here's a little clip of Yngwie Malmsteen - Far Beyond The Sun (with the Japanese Philharmonic). It's Neo-classical

If you notice the fretboard on his Fender Strat looks a little odd, it's got scalloped frets.

and a bonus: Black Star

Even throws in a little Hendrix homage

Edited by CrashGordon, 01 February 2013 - 09:58 PM.

BassRigSig1.png