• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 chconline

chconline

Editor-in-Chief

• Executive Staff Team
  • 28,686 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

I got 2 of these dashcams, one for my Odyssey and one for my coming Accord. Figured that installing one definitely has its benefits. I didn't want any cheap DealExtreme dashcam, and I especially dislike those that has a suction cup :no: Therefore, I decided to go for the best, the Itronics ITB-100HD -- which is something everyone is raving about on various dashcam forums.

It used to sell for around $170 on eBay, but Itronics started cracking down on unauthorized resellers. Now there is an authorized reseller with warranty on eBay, but for a lot more money than it used to be back in December. I noticed he accepts best offers for its $240 + shipping price. I know this camera costs around $130-150 in Korea, so I offered him $185 each for 2 cameras, figuring that I have more bargaining power, since I am buying 2. I expected to pay for around $200 each. He quickly gave a counteroffer for $203 USD, which I thought was very reasonable, since it comes with warranty. Shipping is $30 for both, so I coughed up the cash and paid the guy.

Less than a week later, it arrived in Canada. Surprisingly, I wasn't taxed at all. Cool. Everything was shipped in sealed original packaging. Since my Accord isn't in yet, I decided to install it in the Odyssey first, with no plans to equip my Civic, as I am selling it in a few months. Originally, I was going to tap into the auto day/night mirror in the minivan, but the plug is not socketed at the back. I removed the overhead console, but there is no convenient location for me to get 12V :no: No lazy install method is possible. I ended up running it along the headliner, feeding the cable down the A-pillar behind the airbag, and zip-tied the cord to the existing wiring, and reached the fuse box on the passenger side. Not too bad for an extra 5 minutes of work, lol. Here are some pics of the install:

YholJYP.jpg

SiXn6Eg.jpg

Looks almost OEM :)

RrFz3vS.png

#2 TL6MT

TL6MT

I drive an Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT

• +Subscriber
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:00 PM

How hard was the wiring? Will it require a lot of skills for n00bs? Also what do you think of the image quality?

#3 chconline

chconline

Editor-in-Chief

• Executive Staff Team
  • 28,686 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

Wiring is very simple. If you can rip out a few panels (Just unclip a few tabs), it's extremely straightforward -- easier than you think or appears. The image quality is excellent. I can actually see the two tweeters with the wide angle lens.

RrFz3vS.png

#4 TL6MT

TL6MT

• +Subscriber
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

(Y) Cool - let us know how you wired it up in your Accord.

#5 chconline

chconline

Editor-in-Chief

• Executive Staff Team
  • 28,686 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

Tapping the mirror with my radar detector.

LfIZUFI.jpg

RrFz3vS.png

#6 Big Bang

Big Bang

APH Platinum

• +Subscriber
  • 4,188 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

Is that a special Plug? Where do you get it?

Nice Install btw.

Posted Image
Camaro SS FTW

#7 chconline

chconline

Editor-in-Chief

• Executive Staff Team
  • 28,686 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:52 AM

I made the adapter myself. Requires a bit of cutting and soldering :P

RrFz3vS.png

#8 TL6MT

TL6MT

• +Subscriber
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

:( Well, that scraps my idea. Anyone tried Add a Circuit instead?

#9 chconline

chconline

Editor-in-Chief

• Executive Staff Team
  • 28,686 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

I am using Add a Circuit. It was like 15 bucks on eBay for 5, shipped from the USA, which is pretty good in my opinion.

I just cut the wire on the dashcam, and clipped the positive side into the Add-a-Circuit wire with a separate 5A fuse, which I also got off eBay for cheap. Unfortunately, the right fuse box doesn't clear the tap angle, so I had to rip out my entire assembly, and then rewire it again down the left side of the car to the driver's side fuse box. I tried using the moonroof circuit, the radio circuit, and the front outlet socket. unfortunately, for some reason they all have power supplied after the car is turned off :S I ended up tapping into the accessory (ACC) circuit in the Odyssey, and it worked perfectly.

For the ground, because of how thin the stranded wire is, I had to be a little careful in attaching it to the ground bolt. To make things simple and reliable, I took my solder gun and just soldered it to one of the attached pins. The camera works brilliantly. What I learned is to never start jobs like this at 9:30pm on a Tuesday night :P

RrFz3vS.png

#10 TL6MT

TL6MT

• +Subscriber
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

:( Seems like a lot of work.

#11 chconline

chconline

Editor-in-Chief

• Executive Staff Team