Sign in to follow this  
TL6MT

APH updating to IPS 4.0?

chconline    1,337

Yes, when it's released. We will go through extended testing before deployment to ensure everything is going to work.

+TL6MT    2,557

:P Anyone just got a summary?

I just want them to fix that bug where you can't use the editor in IE...

chconline    1,337

Just an update on the whole IPS 4.0 issue. As you guys may know, APH runs on a legacy Perpetual license offered by IPS. This means, about 10 years ago, we have purchased the license that allows us to keep updates perpetually for the Invision Power Board product. However, the licensing scheme changed, and for IPS 4.0 they are marketing it as a new product, rendering the legacy license obsolete. We have the option of remaining on IPB 3.4 with 2 years of security updates guaranteed, or move on to IPS 4.0 at a rate of $25/6 months with 2 years of credit.

Long story short: We're going for the upgrade. Money is no problem for us in this regard :)

+Big Bang    1,541

Just an update on the whole IPS 4.0 issue. As you guys may know, APH runs on a legacy Perpetual license offered by IPS. This means, about 10 years ago, we have purchased the license that allows us to keep updates perpetually for the Invision Power Board product. However, the licensing scheme changed, and for IPS 4.0 they are marketing it as a new product, rendering the legacy license obsolete. We have the option of remaining on IPB 3.4 with 2 years of security updates guaranteed, or move on to IPS 4.0 at a rate of $25/6 months with 2 years of credit.

Long story short: We're going for the upgrade. Money is no problem for us in this regard :)

Good news! Thanks chc!

chconline    1,337

Just an update on this. I'll probably be rolling the updates in the next month or so. To keep things going smoothly, I worked on the "Featured Forum Topics" block on the front page for some updates. It's actually an old script that was developed over 10 years ago, and surprisingly it still worked with the current version of IPB. Thankfully, it wasn't very complicated, so I managed to figure out how it works in about 10 minutes. I updated the script so now it extracts SEO friendly URLs from the database, and if you hover over the links, you'll see it's using the latest IPB format for addressing topic and user profile links. I think this will have no problems extracting data with IPS 4.0, and given what I know about the latest software, I think we're ready for the latest tech :)

+TL6MT    2,557

:P Lol APH projects are even slower than government rollouts.

aeroLai    1,337
On 8/1/2017 at 10:52 AM, TL6MT said:

:P Lol APH projects are even slower than government rollouts.

Haha shhh it will come when it comes haha. In other news, Invision is live for 4.2.1 haha.

+TL6MT    2,557

The new board looks really nice but it feels slower when loading some threads, anyone having the same problem?

chconline    1,337

I've enabled caching and ran cron in the background. Performance should be improved, but until we get to PHP 7, I think this is the best performance we can get.