Sign in to follow this  
chconline

University of Calgary pays hackers $20,000 after ransomware attack

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/university-of-calgary-pays-hackers-20000-after-ransomware-attack

My goodness. Well, I can see why they did this. Apparently quite a number of graduate students got their drive encrypted and lost all their data. Even my professor lost quite a bit of his info on one of his computers. Should have backed up, and stayed off the U of C AD.

I hope they catch those ****ers

did you get hacked?

Nope. I'm not on the Active Directory system. I just leech off their internet :D

You know this is becoming a big Problem for ITs. How did it get in the System?

Probably someone opened an email attachment.

This seems to be a big issue lately and unfortunately the bad guys get their stuff.

How does that work for such a big Organization?

No idea. I just plug in a network cable and voila! Internet :D

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/university-of-calgary-pays-hackers-20000-after-ransomware-attack

My goodness. Well, I can see why they did this. Apparently quite a number of graduate students got their drive encrypted and lost all their data. Even my professor lost quite a bit of his info on one of his computers. Should have backed up, and stayed off the U of C AD.

**** At least it wasn't $2 million or some other super outrageous amount.

I hope they catch those ****ers

did you get hacked?

Nope. I'm not on the Active Directory system. I just leech off their internet :D

You know this is becoming a big Problem for ITs. How did it get in the System?

Given that you guys get a student ID (or TA/professor/etc ID for that matter), you guys are probably on AD, but on a different AD server where the configured the UoC domain trusts so it isolates or limits the amount of damage if anything should occur.

But then again, much of the campus around UoC doesn't require you to sign in with your credentials to use the Internet when you plug in to the network :lol: I guess that's configured different to the WiFi, server, department, computer labs, etc., so it seems to me the hackers only did their dirty work on a certain group of graduates/professors. It looks like its an isolated situation (unless I've misunderstood), so you can easily track it down to whoever that opened a hacked email, went to a certain website, etc.

How does that work for such a big Organization?

It's a matter of configuring multiple VLANs on the many switches they have and have multiple private subnets setup on their DHCP and DNS servers. Probably have 3-5 servers for each, if not more, for load balancing, resource management, and network trafficking, given the amount of people there are. Even so, each person probably has at least 2 devices (laptop and phone), so that increases the number of IPs distributed by an exponential amount.

Interesting technical stuff actually, but let's save it for another day :P At least now UoC IT guys know they have holes in the system. Either someone's going to get fired for not doing a good job or job security for that special someone that gets hired to fix the holes :dance:

Well, my username is on the AD, but my computer is not. It's just plug and play internet. My PC is not even part of the inventory (officially, it doesn't even exist).