• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 chconline

chconline

Editor-in-Chief

• Executive Staff Team
  • 30,929 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 01:54 AM

Recently, my iPhone 6's camera lenses cracked. I plan to use my phone for another year, and since I need to sell it, I figured it is a good idea to repair it. My understanding is if I take it to Apple for repairs, it'll cost $300+ CAD :| It doesn't affect photo taking that much, unless you shine light directly into the sensor.

Here's a sample shot with the cracked lens with no light shining directly at the sensor:

xOl03oZ.jpg

As you can see, the difference is probably not noticeable at all. Here's where you're going to start having problems though:

U4l0WHV.jpg

The angle of the lines around the light sources correspond to the angle of the crack. Also, you can see the effect of it at the bottom right hand corner.

There are tons of tutorials on the internet on how to do it. The one on heating up the back and replacing the ring seems like a terrible idea, since it's questionable on whether it works or not. Another way is to take the phone apart and poke out the old lens. However, I still need to buy replacement parts, which will probably run me about $10-15 (Plus the cost of whatever glue to use). It seems that all the replacement lens on eBay and Amazon are cheap Chinese plastic parts and not quality glass. Also, all the parts are shipped from Hong Kong or China, which will take 4-6 weeks to get to Canada. Therefore, I held back, and since I am in Hong Kong, I decided to go hunting on the streets to see what I can get.

On the streets, I cannot find anything that I want, which is unfortunate. However, there are tons of shady repair shops on Apliu, so I asked to see how much they want to replace the lens only. After all, if they can do it for half an hour and they probably repair hundreds of phones per day, they probably won't wreck anything lol.

One shady shop was willing to do it for $100 HKD (About $17.50 CAD at today's exchange rate) and was willing to do it on the spot. I stood there and watch him do it, in case he steals some of my OEM parts for fake ones lol. I was also curious how he's going to do it, and what parts will he be using (After all, fake Chinese parts are better than a cracked lens). What he did was he ripped a lens off a wrecked iPhone 6 and put it on mine, so I guess he is using OEM parts :rofl: Curiously, he only took the lens out with his tweezers, and did not punch out the ringed part. Anyway, $100 HKD and 15 minutes later, everything was repaired perfectly.

nD9w6cV.jpg

That's a photo I took to test the camera after he gave the phone back.

dWqOuEK.png

#2 performance_1

performance_1

APH Premier

• Members
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 06:12 PM

so you just walked up and he just repaired it on the spot?

wow

#3 chconline

chconline

Editor-in-Chief

• Executive Staff Team
  • 30,929 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:20 AM

Yep literally just walked up and he did it on the spot. No appointment and no grief. Epic win.

dWqOuEK.png

#4 TL6MT

TL6MT

I drive an Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT

• +Subscriber
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 08:25 AM

Great work - not sure if I can trust shady people with my phone lol.

#5 Big Bang

Big Bang

APH Extreme

• +Subscriber
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:25 AM

It doesn't seem the Lens Crack affects the image during Daylight hours then. Looks like a solid Repair.

Posted Image
Camaro SS FTW

#6 aeroLai

aeroLai

Senior Technical Editor

• Staff Team
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 11:21 AM

Haha anymore test shots with the evening lights? and how did you crack the lens anyway?

3FpTHCX.jpg

Games List: Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS) | Overwatch (PC) | League of Legends (PC) 

#7 performance_1

performance_1

APH Premier

• Members
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 06:57 PM

Haha anymore test shots with the evening lights? and how did you crack the lens anyway?

+1

thought sapphire glass is hard to break

#8 chconline

chconline

Editor-in-Chief

• Executive Staff Team
  • 30,929 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:42 PM

Sapphire glass is hard to break, but it is brittle. I probably dropped it or something that may have cause it to crack.

Also, it does scratch -- my lens around the edges were worn out (Although it does not affect the image, since it is not within the view of the sensor)

C5Ov7So.jpg

dWqOuEK.png

#9 TL6MT

TL6MT

I drive an Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT

• +Subscriber
  • 6,167 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:13 AM

First time I've seen the effect of a cracked lens - its interesting how there are so many diffractions rather than 1 line in the middle.

#10 chconline

chconline

Editor-in-Chief

• Executive Staff Team
  • 30,929 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:11 PM

It's caused by internal reflections/refractions within the lens from different sources at various angles. That's why you'll see that.

dWqOuEK.png

#11 Big Bang

Big Bang

APH Extreme

• +Subscriber
  • 5,121 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:41 AM

Holy **** that's Terrible distortion.

Posted Image
Camaro SS FTW

#12 chconline

chconline

Editor-in-Chief

• Executive Staff Team
  • 30,929 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:51 PM

Haha yep. Also here's a shot where you have one line through the center.

2oPHesO.jpg

dWqOuEK.png

#13 performance_1

performance_1

APH Premier

• Members
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:26 PM

how long were your lens cracked

:|

#14 chconline

chconline