• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 chconline

chconline

Editor-in-Chief

• Executive Staff Team
  • 31,126 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:36 AM

So after 5 years I've figured that paying $30/month on Koodo with 200MB of data just isn't cutting it. I never go over my data limit, but also because I never actually use it other than for very basic things.

Current plan with Koodo:

$30/month

150 Canada-wide minutes

Unlimited after 7pm

200MB LTE data

Unlimited texting etc

Right now Zoomer is doing an unadvertised promo. They're fully owned by Rogers and runs on the Rogers network, so none of that Freedom Mobile crap :lol:

Here's what I got:

$36/month

400 Canada-wide minutes

Unlimited after 6pm

2GB of LTE data

Unlimited texting etc

Also got a referral from someone so we both got $50 credit. Signing a 2-year contract gets me a free phone as well, so I got a Huawei GR5 which I can sell on Kijiji. Can't argue with the price :lol:

dWqOuEK.png

#2 aeroLai

aeroLai

Senior Technical Editor

• Staff Team
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:40 PM

Haha, the Zoomer Wireless deal is quite documented despite being unadvertised. Interestingly, you Google Zoomer, and it comes up with "Plans and phones for seniors". 

I contemplated switching, as I'm paying $40 for 500 min, 1GB data, unlim after 5 pm, but I don't really want to go through the hassle of moving, and I use well within the limits of what I pay.

3FpTHCX.jpg

Games List: Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS) | Overwatch (PC) | League of Legends (PC) 

#3 shc-boomer

shc-boomer

News Director

• Staff Team
  • 11,560 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:59 AM

I have thought about switching too, but my current retention plan on Fido is actually better. Probably one of the better plans Fido has offered in the past.

$35/ month 

Unlimited Canada-wide minutes

2GB of LTE data (+2 GB for 2 years)

Unlimited texting

Spotify

Fido Roam

Voicemail, Etc.

I recently called in for the extra 2 GB when Virgin and Fido were giving out additional data with their plans. Not sure I'll be able to find a better deal in the market nowadays.

#4 chconline

chconline

Editor-in-Chief

• Executive Staff Team
  • 31,126 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:07 AM

Haha, the Zoomer Wireless deal is quite documented despite being unadvertised. Interestingly, you Google Zoomer, and it comes up with "Plans and phones for seniors". 

I contemplated switching, as I'm paying $40 for 500 min, 1GB data, unlim after 5 pm, but I don't really want to go through the hassle of moving, and I use well within the limits of what I pay.

Lol yep, but now they've changed the $36 plan to 2GB. Moving shouldn't be much of a hassle especially considering the $50 referral incentive you get and a free phone. Took me 10 minutes of calling. Their customer service is great.

I have thought about switching too, but my current retention plan on Fido is actually better. Probably one of the better plans Fido has offered in the past.

$35/ month 

Unlimited Canada-wide minutes

2GB of LTE data (+2 GB for 2 years)

Unlimited texting

Spotify

Fido Roam

Voicemail, Etc.

I recently called in for the extra 2 GB when Virgin and Fido were giving out additional data with their plans. Not sure I'll be able to find a better deal in the market nowadays.

lol that's the kind of retention plan even RFD doesn't get.

dWqOuEK.png

#5 Big Bang

Big Bang

APH Extreme

• +Subscriber
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:22 AM

Pretty decent Plan but why is the whole Company for Seniors?

Posted Image
Camaro SS FTW

#6 chconline

chconline

Editor-in-Chief

• Executive Staff Team
  • 31,126 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:41 AM

Lol just a marketing thing. Also LTE speed is great.

6182155754.png

dWqOuEK.png

#7 performance_1

performance_1

APH Premier

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:48 AM

this is the first time ive heard of this, how do you get the unadvertised promo?

#8 aeroLai

aeroLai

Senior Technical Editor

• Staff Team
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:11 PM

this is the first time ive heard of this, how do you get the unadvertised promo?

Pretty much just do an online chat with them, mention this deal and they automatically know it. 

I say this because I ended up switching after all haha. I ended up unlocking my current LG G3 to use with it. Won't be until later when I get the phone and SIM card however.

3FpTHCX.jpg

Games List: Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS) | Overwatch (PC) | League of Legends (PC) 

#9 chconline

chconline

Editor-in-Chief

• Executive Staff Team
  • 31,126 posts

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:08 AM

Yep, just talk to them on online chat and mention this promo.

I got $100 of account credits :lol: ($50 from being referred by someone, and $50 from Aaron)

dWqOuEK.png

#10 TL6MT

TL6MT

I drive an Acura TL SH-AWD 6MT

• +Subscriber
  • 6,243 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 10:21 AM

What's the point of doing an unadvertised plan everyone can get?

#11 aeroLai

aeroLai

Senior Technical Editor

• Staff Team
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 02:59 PM

I don't think this is Zoomer's doing. Considering Robelus (Rogers, Bell, Telus) controls all of the mobile telecommunications in Canada, and Zoomer uses Rogers network, I wouldn't be surprised if Rogers is saying they can't advertise it. It is a huge undercut of all of plans, especially compared to Rogers/Fido/Chatr (all their flanker brands), so they probably don't want it to be mentioned. 

My phone arrived two days after calling Zoomer, and I'm not switched. Scumbag Koodo charged me an extra month of service, but oh well, the referral covers this

3FpTHCX.jpg

#12 chconline

chconline

Editor-in-Chief

• Executive Staff Team
  • 31,126 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:12 PM

Exactly. They have to make their own market niche and not advertise any of these plans in order to still use Rogers' network. But everyone knows about it. I have $100 credit with them right now, which is really nice. 2.5 months of free service plus the phone, can't complain :yes:

Also, you get everything that Rogers offers that I didn't get with Telus/Koodo such as enhanced Caller ID and Extended Coverage, which means I get the full Rogers map plus whatever Telus/Bell offers.

dWqOuEK.png

#13 Big Bang

Big Bang

APH Extreme

• +Subscriber
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:35 PM

Pretty much just do an online chat with them, mention this deal and they automatically know it. 

I say this because I ended up switching after all haha. I ended up unlocking my current LG G3 to use with it. Won't be until later when I get the phone and SIM card however.

Hows the Service for you guys?

Posted Image
Camaro SS FTW

#14 chconline

chconline

Editor-in-Chief

• Executive Staff Team
  • 31,126 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:27 PM

Excellent. No throttling at all.

dWqOuEK.png

#15 aeroLai

aeroLai

Senior Technical Editor

• Staff Team
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:25 PM

Excellent. No throttling at all.

Lol speak for yourself. I never realized how much worse Rogers cell reception is compared to Telus, at least in terms of LTE. I'm consistently getting one to two bars lower than before. It's not a huge deal, but I definitely didn't expect this kind of disparity between the big three. 

3FpTHCX.jpg

#16 chconline

chconline

Editor-in-Chief

• Executive Staff Team
  • 31,126 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:36 PM

Interesting haha. In most places I found it to be essentially identical. Obviously these two are not the same phone, but I can't imagine them to be too different :P

FyQbO13.jpg

dWqOuEK.png

#17 Banana

Banana

Technical Editor

• Staff Team
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 04:12 PM

Interesting haha. In most places I found it to be essentially identical. Obviously these two are not the same phone, but I can't imagine them to be too different :P

FyQbO13.jpg

Lol of course there is a SnapChat notification  :rofl:

#18 chconline

chconline

Editor-in-Chief

• Executive Staff Team
  • 31,126 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:45 AM

Snapchat's amazing, yo.

dWqOuEK.png

#19 chconline

chconline