Sign in to follow this  
chconline

Pilots reveal death-defying ordeal as engines failed on approach to Chek Lap Kok

http://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-magazine/article/1491534/pilots-reveal-death-defying-ordeal-engines-failed-approach

When both of Flight CX780’s engines failed on approach to Chek Lap Kok, tragedy looked certain to its pilots, who hadn’t trained for such an emergency. However, outstanding airmanship led to a safe – if not smooth – landing for the 322 people on…

I think these are complex situations where only human intelligence -- not advanced AI -- can handle. At least I won't be flying in pilot-less planes, lol.

^ I like that example as well. It shows how people can do things that were not predicted beforehand. Obviously, technology has its place -- especially with US Airways Flight 1549 where the control systems allowed the pilots to fly at the maximum envelop of the plane -- but again, it works with humans.

This is the problem where the "50% pilot error" statistic has it wrong - it doesn't count all the times pilot saved people from deadly situations.