Sign in to follow this  
TL6MT

Thoughts on consumer mesh networks?

After reading the Velop review I wonder what it is with the mesh networks. Other website seem to give it glowing coverage but the chc's results are quite telling. Is it a problem with Linksys or are we just not ready for the technology?

It's the concept and the backhaul. You can't repeat signals at a speed that you're not getting. That said, if the Velop focused more on performance antennas than its form factor, we'd do much better. A backhaul with a WRT3200ACM probably is pretty good.

I don't understand why Linksys can't make it bigger unless it's not marketable. I heard the Deco is not as good as the Velop somewhere and the D-Link Covr looks promising but the 2nd node does not look like the 1st one. Someone just make ceiling mounted WiFi points.

There are... the corporate access points :P

I think new houses should be built with Wi-Fi access points in mind then lol.

On 03/10/2017 at 9:22 AM, Big Bang said:

One word: consumer. It covers Dead spots but does not boost Performance too much.

This is pretty much it. It's not meant for enthusiast users really, but more for ease-of-use. 

On 05/10/2017 at 5:00 PM, TL6MT said:

I don't understand why Linksys can't make it bigger unless it's not marketable. I heard the Deco is not as good as the Velop

From what I understand, the TP-Link Deco uses AC1300 so yeah I would expect performance to be not as great as the Velop. 

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 2:37 PM, aeroLai said:

This is pretty much it. It's not meant for enthusiast users really, but more for ease-of-use. 

From what I understand, the TP-Link Deco uses AC1300 so yeah I would expect performance to be not as great as the Velop. 

That's going to be a Bummer in Performance.

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 2:37 PM, aeroLai said:

D-Link uses AC2600 so it may be the best. The design isn't as good as Linksys however.