Samsung will launch new flagship smartphone months after Galaxy S8

From PC World: Samsung Electronics said Thursday it was planning to launch in the second half of this year a new flagship phone, leading to speculation that the company is planning an alternative to the ill-fated Galaxy Note7 that had to be recalled last year.

The launch of a new flagship smartphone this year and continuing sales of the Galaxy S8 and S8+ will help Samsung counter Appleā€™s launch of a new version of its iPhone. Apple usually unveils new phones in September.

"Samsung does announce a S series phone in the first half of the year and a Note series in the second half," said Kiranjeet Kaur, research manager for client devices at IDC Asia/Pacific. "So I am not sure if Samsung is alluding to the next Note or if they want to introduce a new series to avoid any questions or doubts that may arise because of the Note7 debacle."

A Samsung spokesperson said the company cannot comment on "the future product plan."

The company started shipping its Galaxy S8 and S8+ smartphones from April 21 in the U.S. and certain other markets. The company said pre-orders for the two smartphones were higher than they had been for the predecessor Galaxy S7 and S7 edge, launched in March last year.

View: Article @ Source Site