Sign in to follow this  
Lord Nikon

Spec me a computer please =]

Alright so there's this computer hardware store close to where I live and their website has a Sys builder where you can make your own system and they show you the price at the bottom.

Here's the sys builder address:

http://www.a-link.ca/updatesystem.asp?syst...%20Own%20System

Try to stay below $1000 cause I want to save enough money to get Microsoft Visual Studio .NET :P

Im using my computer mainly for programming where I run like 3-4 debuggers at the same time which takes alot of RAM and memory. So I wanna have a 1 or 2 gigs of RAM and AMD Athlong 64 Dual Core 4200 or higher. Don't like get a high range GFX or sound card I won't use them ;) So just basic stuff for sound and GFX =] As for the case I want something with some USB ports in the front. And I want CD Read/Write capabilities so I can burn CDs but I don't want to play DVDs and stuff so don't do anything for that. :(

Don't need:

DVD ROM

DVD Writer

Keyboard

Mouse

Printer

Speakers

Modem

Moniter

Not sure about networking though.

And also if anyone knows a program that can check your computer specs I could use one to look at my stuff.

My friend Eddy used this store and he got really good service and everything so I trust them :) and I don't want to order online either. :(

Thanks for the Nero Tool thing Hopkin, worked great ;)

Edited by Lord Nikon

Um... NCIX is in your local area.

Like I said I trust a-link more and I can get a discount since Im being referred by another customer.

I just need someone to come up with quick list of hardware from that page that would fit my requirements ;) I don't understand this stuff myself so Im asking you guys for help.

Edited by Lord Nikon

Why would you trust A-Link more? Just because your 'friend' 'recommended' you doesn't mean they are the best. NCIX is probably Canada's largest e-tailer or computer parts store with excellent service and support. A-Link's site itself even makes them inferior, filled with mistakes (Including spelling) with a horribly made configuration system and prices not even listed. The site design is :(.

Worst of all, their selection is small. You can't get anything decent from that place. If you still want to get them, you should get your 'friend' to recommend you parts thats actually able to be purchased from that store. ;)

Why would you trust A-Link more? Just because your 'friend' 'recommended' you doesn't mean they are the best. NCIX is probably Canada's largest e-tailer or computer parts store with excellent service and support. A-Link's site itself even makes them inferior, filled with mistakes (Including spelling) with a horribly made configuration system and prices not even listed. The site design is :P.

Worst of all, their selection is small. You can't get anything decent from that place. If you still want to get them, you should get your 'friend' to recommend you parts thats actually able to be purchased from that store. ;)

You should see my friends computer, it kicks aphnetworks.com. :P I just want to buy it from A-link it's no big deal. :(

Never Heard of A-Link Sounds Generic.

Close To A Piece Of Crap..

Buddy I remember your talking to me about computers last year, you barely know anything about the hardware.

Really guys all I want is a quick list of the parts, you're just getting off topic and posting useless info :)

I live in the UK so I picked a site that I know allot of US people get there hardware from. Newegg (I dunno if they are good or not) All prices are from there.

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - $94.99

mushkin 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM - $216.99

MSI P965 Neo-F Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - $109.99

NANOPOINT (Tagan) TG-480-U22 ATX 480W Power Supply - $90.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor - $369.99

eVGA 256-P2-N554-AX Geforce 7600GT KO 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - $159.99

NZXT LEXA-NP Black/ Silver Aluminum Construction Plastic Front Panel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - $124.99

Total: $1,167.93 - It's a bit over so change where you feel you need more/less to make your target.

Probably not newegg since it's not available in Canada. NCIX is as a major e-tailer in Canada as Newegg is in US.

I'd probably look somewhere in the line of:

Core 2 Duo E6300 ~$236 CAD

OCZ 2x1GB PC6400 (Around 200 CAD)

Antec Sonata II + 450W Antec Smartpower ~$120 CAD

ASUS P5LD2-VM REV2 ~$140 CAD (Integrated gfx, mATX)

Any Pionner/BenQ DVD Burner that's on sale - $50

Seagate 320GB SATAII - $110 (Approx)

Thats well within your budget and its top notch components. Wont run any games, like you said though.

And you said your friends comp rocks, what's his specs...

Probably not newegg since it's not available in Canada. NCIX is as a major e-tailer in Canada as Newegg is in US.

I'd probably look somewhere in the line of:

Core 2 Duo E6300 ~$236 CAD

OCZ 2x1GB PC6400 (Around 200 CAD)

Antec Sonata II + 450W Antec Smartpower ~$120 CAD

ASUS P5LD2-VM REV2 ~$140 CAD (Integrated gfx, mATX)

Any Pionner/BenQ DVD Burner that's on sale - $50

Seagate 320GB SATAII - $110 (Approx)

Thats well within your budget and its top notch components. Wont run any games, like you said though.

And you said your friends comp rocks, what's his specs...

Thank you ;)

And I remember my friend's comp has a AMD Athlon X2 4600, the 7900 g-Force GFC card, 2 gigs of ram I think, and 300 gig harddrive. Not sure about the very specifics.

Buddy I remember your talking to me about computers last year, you barely know anything about the hardware.

Um actually you weren't paying attention and also you didnt understand jack. I said I'm getting a new comp and I was looking for a mobo and you said "WTF IS A MOBO??"

Um actually you weren't paying attention and also you didnt understand jack. I said I'm getting a new comp and I was looking for a mobo and you said "WTF IS A MOBO??"

I don't recall, and I probably wouldn't have known what a mobo is but I would know what a MotherBoard if said Mother Board and not mobo! ;)

lol yeah i remember eddy talking about his comp. but didnt he have a midrange gfx card before?

lol I dono all I remember was it was a eVGA. :(

Not necessarily. Cache probably wont increase performance THAT much anymore. Take this into consideration:

It used to be 1MB L2 cache/512K L2 cache = 200MHz theoretical increase

Therefore (In older S754 Athlons), a 2.0GHz with 512K L2 cache is classified as a 3000+; a 2.0GHz with 1MB L2 cache is a 3200+.

However, onto Manchester and Toledo (S939/dual core)

A 2.2GHz with 1MB L2 cache per core is classified as a 4400+.

A 2.4GHz with 512K L2 cache per core is classified as a 4600+.

And the 4600+ does have a good increase in performance in benchmarks.

Moving onto Conroe, the difference is that AMD has a memory controller integrated while Intel chips does not, so more cache means more data readily available for CPU processing. However, cache will probably gain you performance in stuff like video encoding, otherwise in games and other apps that require raw CPU power, it should not make a difference (Or minimal difference). Haven't read the Conroe benchmarks too much, but AFAIK the ones with lower cache can overclock much better that the ones with higher cache. In addition to that, with his $1000 budget, a $230 CPU is much better than a 326 dollar CPU (1/3 of his computer) with a 1.86GHz -> 2.00GHz kind of speed difference.

Thats all very nice chconline but I don't need a processor how to as I already know all that.

Core Duo has a shared cache. The L2 cache is shared among both processor cores while on AMD the cache is not shared it is restricted to each core.

Which means 2 cores with 4MB accessible each is allot faster in Single Threaded applications then having 2 cores with only 2MB shared.

AMD 4200+ 512KB Core vs a 4MB Core. Which do you think would win?

The benchmarks speak for themselves a 2MB Conroe vs a 4MB Conroe its almost double the performance.

Yeah, you are right. Too lazy to check out the benchmarks :( I need to get updated on my Intel stuff, been too AMD-ish for the last 2 years ;)

On the other hand, you can clock the 2MB ones a lot higher than the 4MB ones. The problem is that he can't afford a 4mb cache.

And most people claims the same as me in regards to cache (Other forums, reviews). A quick google search :) I don't know where you got 'double the performance' stuff, because I am not comparing Core 2 Duo to AMD Athlon 64 X2.

Well if you cant afford of it of course don't go all out with an E6600 or higher.

I personally went dual core about 8 months ago with a 3800+ X2 the lowest AMD X2 but I OC'ed it to 2.5GHz (Sometimes 2.7 on a cold day lol) I'm glad I picked that chip for its stable OC potential.

Yep that's a good choice. I am not sure if Lord Nikon is really into overclocking, but a E6300 is something that fits his budget and the chip is ~$50 more than the 3800+ X2. Other parts are exactly the same price, and the E6300 can really hit those high clocks.

AM2 4200+

Asus M2N-E

2x1GB Corsair

Case is whatever u'd like. Since you said AMD, I'd recommend the above, but I would prefer to see a Conroe setup instead ;)