Sign in to follow this  
APH-Alex

Currency

I was just wondering, since the UK now uses Euro, aren't Pounds not legal tender anymore? 'Cause I still see prices for things in Pounds. Not sure about this, can someone explain? Preferably WinMacLin.

Euro is the currency of the European Union.

The constituent country of Republic of Ireland, which is part of the UK, use euros. However the constituent country of England does not use euros. So only half of the sovereign state of the United Kingdom uses the euro.

There used to be Irish Pounds but that got converted into euros after they joined the Eurozone (EU countries that use the euro).

As of now, Britain is going thru an approval (I might not be up-to-date, search it on BBC or something) of Britain entering Eurozone.

To answer your question, Britain is still using pounds, but Ireland is using euros.

We don't use euros for a few reasons.

Our people refused to use it and if we changed to the Euro people said they would no longer use banks and continue to use the Pound coin (Like some sort of Mad-Max world).

Ontop of that our Pound is one of (If not the most) expensive currency in the world. Making it quite allot to lose considering it's worth more than USD, CAD, AUD, EURO and so on.

Ireland's government changed there currency and it hasn't done anything good for Ireland just segregated it even more from England which isn't a good thing trust me.

We may switch to the Euro in 2012 (London Olympic games) although doubted by most.

The swiss franc is the most expensive currency, you know why? Because the Switzerland is an awesome country :whistle:

Since the euro was introduce, everything went up :ph34r: At the same time, "exchange rates" became obsolete, therefore encouraging trade. It's a win-lose thing.

Yeah I agree. I hate converting my USD to CAD and losing money to greedy Paypal.

And I have a load of USD to convert monthly.

Having a world-wide currency would be nice. Each coin that is minted in each country could have that countries pictures on, so you could get a 20 note from like china in USA and stuff. Would be very cool.

I don't see it being a problem. In the very near future all currency will be digital and that will blur the lines especially when it comes to transactions both locally & abroad.

You can already see it online, you pay in your own money and the online-bank (most cases PayPal) will convert the cash for you for a nominal fee.

I can easily see that happening in the physical realm with a new type of universally accepted Credit Card except it's instant and actually comes out of your own account instead of buying borrowed time.

Maybe a "bank card" would be more a more appropriate name.

The only way we can ever have complete trust in the internet is absolute gov't trafficing of information. Absolute faith in the security of the global web and people will start using eCurrency.

I agree with WinMacLin, now that the majority of the developed population is in the global market, why not use standarized currency. Except this has to be extremely well executed. Each country's gold reserves can be distributed amongst their own private market.

That would be uber cool. Like WinMacLin said about getting China money in the USA, but it's worth the same thing. They should make it like in Futurama where it's all one country.. Earth, and all the countries we have now would be just states or provinces or whatever.

Getting Chinese money in US is not the same thing. Not with the astonomical exchange rates.

But... they should make it all one country? Yeah that would be so awesome, uniting United States and Iraq into one country. I don't watch Futurama but we have something relatively similar. It's just a matter of words. We can all live in the country "Earth" but I live in the province "Canada".

Unless Futurama has a centralized international gov't, I don't see the point of switching words around

Well that's no good. Imagine Iraq, North Korea and the United States under one hood. No that will not be a good thing.

In the future when South Korea, India and lesser nations have become more upscale we may then consider "international currency". Imagine the profit from foreign investment! Win-win in a broad sense.

And by Chinese money in the USA I meant money that was printed in China with some sort of indication or that printed on it, but the currency actually being universal, just printed in China. No different value depending on country. Just one big currency.

North Korea, Iraq, Cuba, and the USA all need to settle whatever they have going and make one big.. ermm "family".

Edited by APH-Alex

North Korea, Iraq, Cuba, and the USA all need to settle whatever they have going and make one big.. ermm "family".

Thanks for clearing that up. Jihad's and past Crusades are just one talk away from "settlement". You're a Christian, and I really have a hard time imagining you to even think of Jesus being lesser than Mohammed. After this... "settlement", you might have to read the quoran, start hailing Allah instead of God.

Wait how about THE TRUTH. Did you know Babaji existed ;) How about reincarnation? In China you go to different h3ll's depending on your sin. For example if I was a peeping Tom I would have to die from eyeball extraction to get reincarnated again. Hmm what about Avici, the concept that's common between the Chinese and Buddhism?

That's no good :D imagine the Vatican city uniting with Arabia. I'm pretty sure devote Catholics are going to have a hard time accepting the harmony of Islamic faith and the cross.

This has nothing to do with religion. We're talking about money, and I obviously know that those countries aren't a talk away from peace but over time, they should try to "settle whatever they have going."

This is all about religion. Do you know why we label "terrorists" as "Muslim extremists"? The war we are fighting now isn't about economics, it's about religion. Have you seen Osama Bin Laden openly declaring war on Christianity?

I believe all countries should unite when Satan and his evil force invades our land.

whatever they have going."

Please bare in mind that Iraq has nothing going. Iraq is the poorest nation in the whole world, and we are trying to change that.

maybe it's a good time to split this into world politics

I said we should have one gov't that would control the Earth in which the current countries would be like provinces. We wouldn't like change locations or anything. It would be like, lets say "one big Canada".

Centralized government is a one wayed debate. No to centralized government.

Theoretically speaking, if we have a centralized government, tell me what kind of government are we going to have? You can prove your intellects by making valid points.