Sign in to follow this  
Tomo

wii

I got a Japanese Wii. It's pretty good. It came with a nintendo wii, wii controller and a numchuck. I bought Zelda, Wario, Wii Sports (in Japan, Wii Sports doesn't come with the Wii), Wii Play (comes with a controller) and super monkey ball separately.

I haven't really played Zelda much. In the 20-30 minutes of what I got out of it, I came to the conclusion that it's alright and is overrated. It's basically the same as the old Zelda games and doesn't incorporate much of the Wii controller's technology.

Wario is good. I like it a lot. There are loads of mini games that you can play on it and is very fun to play. I still haven't figured out how to do multi player on it though... (anybody know how to?)

Wii Sports is good as well. There has never been anything like it. Unlike other console sports games where you would just push some buttons and move the joystick around with your thumb, in Wii Sports, you actually feel like you are doing the sport. For example, when you do bowling, you hold the button and release it when you want to let go of the ball.

Wii Play (in Japanese, it's called '初めてのWii' which translates to 'My First Wii') costs 1000 yen more than a regular controller so you are basically paying 1000 yen (around 10$) for the game. It has 9 mini games in it which are not very deep but are fun and quick. The games are meant to show you the different ways the Wii can be used. It's worth the 10$ I think.

Super Monkey Ball is good...but has a few problems with it. It has loads of mini games in it but unlike Wario, some of the games have some problems in them. It's kinda hard to explain...you have to play them to know what I mean.

Did anybody else buy a wii?

Edited by Tomo

Wii has impressed me so far. It's definitely not the type of console where you will just play for hours by your self (*cough* final fantasy *cough) but when you meet up with some friends or family, maybe playing it for 30-60 minutes would be great.

I LOVE WII!

B.T.W. I'm back for right now...but exams are coming up so I think I will disappear again probably.

Edited by Tomo

lol alrighty. welcome back :P

I want a Wii...does the Japanese Wii have the ability to switch its language to English? :P lol just wondering.

I'm shocked to hear this about Zelda, but then again not too surprised. There was a lot of hype about it being the game for the Wii. I hope you two enjoy your Wiis, because pretty soon I'll get one too (hopefully).

I'm not saying that Zelda is bad or anything though...besides the graphics, I don't think it's that big of an improvement compared to the N64 Zelda games (I haven't played game cube zelda). I'm sure as I play the game, I will start to like it more and more. The other games on the other hand, are games you can get into right away...that might be one reason why I got a little bored at the beginning.

Edited by Tomo

I'm going to buy my Wii once a store has them and I can confirm that the controller is the new one with the fixed strap (altho I don't think I'm one of those noobie users who will make the controller fly lol)

Don't forget that you can also get Gamecube games too so there's a pretty large library of games you can get that are still very good. Mario Kart of course comes to mind.

Are there no region restrictions on the Wii? I thought they were going to implement it in the Wii (or was that PS3). Happy to hear another good experience with it tho, I'm really excited to get one and I'll be at home for a month, thank you Nintendo, grrr, lol

also I saw that Wii play thing also, and I think it's a good buy. I love mini games cuz sometimes you just want to pick up and play for about 15-20min and then go do your thing. Wario Warez is still one of my fave GBA games ever.

HF, GGz

btw welcome back Tomo. Good luck on your exams

Edited by gummyz

Unfortunately, the Wii is NOT region free which pisses me off a aphnetworks.com load because that is one of the reasons why I bought it. I checked on the internet before I bought it and the Wii was reported to be the only new console (xbox 360, ps3) that was not region free...but after I bought it, I checked again and Nintendo says the wii will not be region free...and also deny that they said it was going to be. It's still good though so whatever.

Some good gamecube games are...

-Metroid Prime

-Resident Evil

-Zelda: Wind Walker

-Paper Mario

and more (just go to gamespot.com and look at the top rated game cube games).

Thank you very much for the luck...I think other people need the luck as well. Many people on this forum are high school students.

The thing is, the Gamecube graphics are kinda...mmmehh...

I know that the Wii graphics aren't all that great either, but Gamecube ones are just...:P

Well you would be an idiot to get the Wii for its graphics. They aren't good....at all. They are better than the cube's graphics though...which isn't saying much.

Nintendo is not focusing on the hardware or performance of the Wii, but instead of the gameplay. Hardware wise, it's just an update to the Gamecube in new casing in general -- sure, faster processor (I think it's 2x the clock of the GC), etc, but in general, I would consider it a 'hardware update' rather than some crazy triple core CPU and unified shaders etc (ATI engineered) graphics on the X360.

The thing is, what Nintendo's planned really seems to be working! I've heard more hype around than PS3 and Xbox 360 (which is last year...sorry guys) put together. The thing is...PS3 is actually pretty reasonably priced for its hardware, but no one actually really looks past its $750 price tag (and for all those who do, good for you! :P) and I for one will not either. I mean, who actually needs a Blu-Ray drive right now; there are only a few movies out in that format!

Wouldn't it be better if they offered it as an add-on so the price could be lower? And they could charge for internet services just like Xbox Live!

yes the majority of u are still in high school soooo good luck to you all also :) You guys will do just fine tho :(

Supposedly even the GC can run the current Wii games with a little toned down graphics. The Wii, imo, is a next gen console, just not next gen in terms of graphics. I still play alot of games that are previous generation on PC, and the majority of them are more enjoyable long term than current games.

Well the Wii is so cheap that you could buy a Japan and a US one and still be almost under a XBox360 @ retail price. But since u have a Japan one, u will get better games as I'm sure there are going to be Japan exclusives, or ones that will take a year or a few to be ported to US :( I remember the good ole Famicom days.

You're right Herbs, the PS3 is a good deal for the hardware, but who actually needs Blu-Ray unless u're really a HTPC enthusiast. An addon would've been a better choice and the PS3 would cost somewhere b/w the Wii and XBox360.

If that happened, I would undoubtedly probably get a PS3. Graphics-wise, it's just a turn-on, you know? And the fact that you can put Linux on it is just killer :( the only problem I have with the Wii is that it doesn't do many "next-gen" things; I don't believe we can even play our own music in the actual game! I reaallyy don't want to be listening to some heavy metal or w/e that came with the game :( this was already a feature that came with the X-Box...yes, the original X-Box :)

I'm in the same boat also Herbs. I would've loved to even seen a basic DVD player with the Wii, and not an addon for HD-DVD. I mean the Wii doesn't even really support high resolution (what is it, 480p or something). Does anyone remember if the Wii was going to be 'redone' to include some sort of movie player (HD-DVD or DVD)?

Alright, after a month and more of hunting, I've successfully caught a Wii :) The person at BB said he had one in the back that was on hold for replacement for a broken one from another customer. That customer didn't call back after 3 days so he gave it up to me

Been playing Wii Sports since I've not had an urge yet to get any other games (tho I will be getting Wii Play for sure). My setup currently sucks for the Wii but I'll live with it until I move out (which will be soon).

I do have a few questions for those who are more experienced. I want to confirm if I can save my Virtual Console games to SD Cards? (I bought them @ FS - they are the 2 in 1 pack of PNY 1GB). Also if I lose my VC games, can I redownload them from Nintendo? Is the VC controller worth it?

lol i have all those recommended GameCube games that Tomo said. :) But when Tomo said "Resident Evil" does he mean 4 or the GC remake? cuz i have the remake...

oh yeah, in my honest opinion, i like the wii. it's innovative, small, and quite user friendly (especially after actually having used one at my friend's house). i'm glad Nintendo decided to go with a different approach rather than that of PS3 and X360 with "ULTRA H@rdcoRE GFX!" graphics are the least of my concerns, it's gameplay. look, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time and Majora's mask are probably one of the 4 or 5 best games I've ever played in my life! another one being Chrono Trigger for the SNES as well :)

nice one guys, now go test out my Wii questions, and answer them lol

I have alot of GC games and the ones listed are great ones. Crystal Chronicles if u like Final Fantasy. Mario Party games are fun, tho only 30min or so with multiplayer. They also have Resident Evil 0 right? Well I have 4 and it is fairly good as the original as well as 2 for the PC (controls are still annoying). All of my GC games that I've tried so far work fine on the Wii.

In case you're interested, Donkey Konga is available at FS for $20. It includes the game along with the bongos :P It's not really worth it tho if u don't like those type of interactive games. Works fine with the Wii.

Don't mean to revive an old thread but I thought I'd post some things that may be helpful about SD cards. I've been testing out a few things lately

I've found out only certain SD cards will work. Most 2GB ones will work fine but almost all 4GB won't work. Since 4GB uses SDHC technology to be able to stuff all the space in there, it's not compatible with '1st generation' SD card readers. So I bought an OCZ 4GB and it won't be able to write to the card but it can read from it. I recently bought a high speed 2GB from Sandisk and that works fine (read/write). So I'm able to backup my VC games. Now there will be a new Wii out (with DVD playback and colours), so they may update the SD card reader (at least I hope so)

VC controller is good since it's fully compatible with all VC games (tho I don't know about newer ones like the ones that are rumoured to come from NeoGeo).

Also if anyone is interested in more games, supposedly Zellers has a deal of $40 for any Wii game. I bought a bunch of them the other day. Their flyer does list 2/40 but it was a mistake and supposedly it was only for Zelda. When I went there, they corrected it to all Wii games. $20 off for games isn't bad :) This deal ends at the end of the week

Edited by gummyz