Sign in to follow this  
APH-Alex

Religion

Eh... I am glad WML does not refer to anyone here, but you might want to consider:

Some 'religious' people who say whom they claim to be, probably isn't truly part of what they say they are. I am sorry you are exposed to such bad examples of people, but generalizing is bad :D

Most of the people who knock on doors to bait people into their religion are Jehovahs Witness and Mormons, who are significantly different from us Christians (Excluding Catholics, as mentioned earlier). I get annoyed by them knocking on my doors too.

Very true....

I always thought baptism was sort of a covenant with God showing that you are mature enough to understand the decision you are taking, and deciding to follow Christ all of your life, and thus be "re-born", in a sense, to this new life with Jesus.

Yeah, symbolic significance. :D

But in other sense its just water, so its not like its gonna do some magic.

I'm rastafarian. Ya mon.

b.t.w. I'm actually not rastafarian...they are all just Jamaican hippies which is one of the last things I am.

Edited by Tomo

Wow, quite the discussion :D what's a rastafarian? I've seen rastafarian hats and hackysacks and such, but I've never come around to finding out what it is.

Off topic much?

Baptism is just a symbol/picture. It is not a requirement for salvation.

You fear God, but you know you will be saved if you recant for the bad things you did, and since there's no purgatory in Protestantism, what keeps people from doing bad things?

For salvation, all you have to do is believe with your heart and mouth that Jesus Christ is God and that he died on the cross for our sins. His blood washed us clean and he came back to life after 3 days.

As for the sinning part, God gave us free will. He gave us choice. If we choose to do bad, it is our own fault. There is a judgement for Christians (Judgement Seat of Christ - NOT the Great White Throne Judgement) where we will be judged for our works and rewarded heavenly gifts/crowns accordingly.

For salvation, all you have to do is believe with your heart and mouth that Jesus Christ is God and that he died on the cross for our sins. His blood washed us clean and he came back to life after 3 days.

As for the sinning part, God gave us free will. He gave us choice. If we choose to do bad, it is our own fault. There is a judgement for Christians (Judgement Seat of Christ - NOT the Great White Throne Judgement) where we will be judged for our works and rewarded heavenly gifts/crowns accordingly.

Wow that's the first I've ever heard of. It's not that I don't believe you, but I'd like to read the passage where it talks about that.

I thought judgement for us (non-Catholic) is about heaven or hell.

Uh, it says that in Revelation. Anyways, as for the bad deed thing, do you not find it kinda hard to keep faith in someone so perfect if you yourself to not strive to be perfect? I mean, say if you wanted to learn math, but you practiced typing all day, that wouldn't do you any good.

Everyone is a sinner

As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one; (Romans 3:10)

Result of Sin

For the wages of sin is death. (Romans 6:23)

The Forgiveness of Sin

Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Chirst, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law shall no fless be justified. (Galatians 2:16) [This verse is often used to challenge Catholics' belief that GOOD WORKS will get you to heaven]

Repentance/Acceptance of Jesus Christ

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. (Romans 10:9-10)

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosover believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16)

BTW. The Judgement Seat of Christ DOES NOT DETERMINE WHETHER YOU GO TO HEAVEN OR TO HELL. It is just for heavenly blessings.

I don't know where is says this, "Every man will die, and after that the judgement." (or something like this).

If a saved man dies and goes to heaven, then we are judged at the Judgement Seat of Christ. If an unsaved man dies and goes to hell, he will later be judged at the Great White Throne Judgement.

Edited by r3volution

You might want to quote Ephesians too.

8For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9not by works, so that no one can boast. 10For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Well in Church its all NIV. I have an Chinese-English Bible which is a NIV + Union Version (Chinese) translation. At home I have a main Union version Bible as well as NKJV.

I use the NIV but I prefer the NLT. I was just wondering you guys, if some people claim that God does not exist and that the evidence that we have is just crap that comes from our minds, then how can you explain things like prophecies and like well, here's an example: There's a woman at our church, and sometimes when we are praying, I don't know how to say it in English, but I guess you could say she is "possessed" with the spirit of the Lord and she, well the Lord speaking through her, kind of has things to say to certain people in the church and it's all completely relevant. Like, this one guy was thinking as he was praying, "Lord, you're speaking to everyone else, but why not to me?" and right then she stopped talking about the other person and directed her speech to him, repeated what he was thinking, and then said something about how God will work in his life and well I don't really remember. Anyways, she also said something about my dad at one point, and unless she could somehow know everything that was going on in his life, it must have been from God.

Edited by APH-Alex