Sign in to follow this  
ty8131990

Tablet PC - Recommendations Please!

27267_l.jpg

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...anufacture=ASUS

This is the one I currently have my eye on. The price seems decent, and all I need is to run office applications, and to take notes down with a pen.

So here are my questions:

1. Should I wait for some new technology/hardware, new generation of tablets first?

2. Is there a good enough reason to keep me from buying a tablet PC (price is only a factor if the tablet:non-tablet is a 2:1 ratio for pricing)

3. Is there a better alternative to this tablet PC?

FYI: I'm selling my M1710 because its gaming capabilities is hindering me from life. If anybody wants it, PM me for details.

Edited by ty8131990

1. Should I wait for some new technology/hardware, new generation of tablets first?

Not really. It's good as it is, but tablets are not really gaining popularity for a good reason -- it's not very practical.

2. Is there a good enough reason to keep me from buying a tablet PC (price is only a factor if the tablet:non-tablet is a 2:1 ratio for pricing)

Yep, they aren't very useful, to be honest. Being a PDA user for 2 years, I found the good old tried-and-true keyboard and mouse format much better ;) Just go for an ultraportable.

I am not too familiar with tablets, but that one looks sweet. :blushing:

How about an Asus eee pc 900? Much smaller, cheaper and lighter.

I have a 4G EeePC so that would be my main ultraportable.

Yep, they aren't very useful, to be honest. Being a PDA user for 2 years, I found the good old tried-and-true keyboard and mouse format much better :P Just go for an ultraportable.

I am not too familiar with tablets, but that one looks sweet. (Y)

Looks like I should look for a non tablet... but is there a reason why it's not practical? To my understanding, tablets are exactly like normal laptops, except they have a writable screen, and not handicapped in anyway except for price, and maybe battery life.

That looks cool!

Thanks for all the suggestions, if I go the thin-light / ultraportable way, is there a direction I should take (perhaps the VAIO series)? All I know is that I don't want those super-tiny low voltage CPU laptops, because I would like some beef for multi-tasking, DVD, CD ripping, audio work etc. Basically what a home computer should do except for gaming/video editing/gfx.

Edited by ty8131990

Hmm... the 14" is a little too big (using family's 14" HP as reference), and the GFX is too good. I should mention that it should be handicapped in terms of gaming, because I don't have a very strong will, and I might just accidentally install a game during the holidays, and things will start to go downhill.

It would pretty much defeat the purpose of selling my old gaming laptop (Y)

Close to being decided:

27798_l.jpg

The only thing I'm concerned about is battery life, I just need it to last at least 3 hours on battery saving mode for normal internet browsing.

Of course I could buy extra sets of batteries, except I wouldn't know where I could order them (Asus doesn't have them on their site).

HTC Shift?

http://www.htc.com/www/product.aspx?id=596

45D5F6F3-3211-4B64-8C6E-12A9C8FFD41C.jpg

Experience a new era in mobile computing with the HTC Shift. Powerful enough to run Windows Vista® Business, the HTC Shift has the optimal blend of portability and functionality, giving you uncompromised performance while on the move.

HTC Shift features SnapVUE™, an always-on mode that provides you instant access to critical information -- including e-mail previews, local weather, calendar, and SMS -- even if the device is not switched on. Push e-mail gives you instant alerts whenever you have new Outlook® e-mails. Through Wi-Fi or 3.5G high-speed connectivity, you enjoy the ultimate productivity and highest fidelity Internet experience around.

HTC Shift also features a 7-inch touch sensitive screen that slides out and tilts to a comfortable angle. It has a full QWERTY keyboard for convenient messaging and text input. A built-in fingerprint sensor is provided for increased security.

Highlights

Always-on access to critical information with HTC SnapVUE™

Receive instant e-mails with Microsoft® Direct Push technology up to 2 days on battery standby

Powerful enough to give you the full Windows Vista® experience

Revolutionary small form factor gives you portability without compromising mobility

Adjustable 7-inch touch screen

Mouse buttons and microPad

Worldwide UMTS with HSDPA

Bluetooth® 2.0 and Wi-Fi®

USB 2.0 connectivity

Fingerprint sensor

Just go with the Asus ones, but you are going to get "too good" of a graphics card regardless (Y)

You can try for an XPS 1330 with crippled graphics though.

Alright, another problem has arise:

F9SG-A1 - $1279

Vista Home Premium

C2D T8100

3 GB

250 GB

GeForce 9300M

no express card slot

1.3 MP camera

31 x 22.35 x 2.7~3.4 cm

1.9 kg (3 cell battery)

VS

U6S-A1 - $1824

Vista Business

C2D T7500

2 GB

160 GB

GeForce 8400M

one express card slot

0.3 MP camera

29.7 x 21.8 x 2.3~3 cm

3.46lbs (6 cell battery)

The former laptop is slightly larger, doesn't come with the nice luxury aesthetics, and is missing an express card slot, but it is superior in all hardware related aspects -- would it account $600 different? Am I missing something?

The hardware are pretty close in performance, but the "cheaper" one is better if you can really call it that. For most uses, I don't think it is a noticeable difference in performance.

The U6S is lighter which can possibly account for about half the price difference. Vista Business may add another 50-75 difference. The T7500 appears to be faster than the T8100, although I don't know what the real differences are without researching. We all know that Intel is always pushing its newest CPUs, therefore the T8100 may be alot cheaper than the T7500. Also the 6 cell battery.

Depending on how ultraportable you are looking for, this will make your decision. Both laptops, as said, are going to be pretty close in performance.

Why would you go for tablet?

I think the "Pen" feature is dedicate for artisan, for better hand-made drawing. Writing down a memo, note, with a pen never make any sense to me, since it should be 100x easier to pull out a paper with your pen, start to write, rather than boot-up your tablet PC.

and while you're on your desk, typing with keyboard is 100x faster than writing with hand.. (in my case).

Tablet-PC durability also being rumored more fragile than any ultra-portable PC.

Unless, if you go-crazy about the "touch screen" technology for daily use (beside art-projects), PDA / Smartphone / Mobile-PC is better than Tablet-PC in my opinion.

Regards to Asus EEE PC 900, I was excited, until I noticed that they still using the same 900MHz processor. I was realllllyyy hope they will upgrade it.

I'm using M1330 right now, been 4 months. It serves me well, I love it. For battery wise, I do intense browsing, forum, nonstop, chatting with wireless, I gained 3.5 hours most of the time. And yes, it's a quiet laptop.