chconline

The Official Driving Test/Road Tests Tips Thread

Every examiner has a slight variant of the test route, but you WILL be tested on playground/school zone, uphill/downhill, uncontrolled, etc. you will just never hit the highway. Knowing the route doesn't help as much as just knowing the marking sheet as attached. :P

Every examiner has a slight variant of the test route, but you WILL be tested on playground/school zone, uphill/downhill, uncontrolled, etc. you will just never hit the highway. Knowing the route doesn't help as much as just knowing the marking sheet as attached. :P

Oh, I understand that, the only reason I'm asking is because it IS downtown, so I'm curious to know what neighbourhood they might take me to and how much inner city driving would be involved as a result. I'm thinking it's probably Mount Royal or Bankview. I'll keep you posted, I'm hoping to get it done within the next couple of weeks!

Oh and also, my driving instructor told me that there is one test route in Calgary where

you do hit the Deerfoot briefly. I think it's the Richmond Hill one, if you do it with

Alberta Road Testing. We went through a bunch of the routes during my lessons and most

of them seemed quite easy as long as one is familar with the rules of the road...

Edited by Maja75

I passed the class 5 on my first try a few years ago. I also failed the learner's 3 times in a row, all of them by 1~2 points.

I can't give any meaningful tips on passing the road test, and I sure won't have to give any tips on passing the written test since everyone here probably passed it on their first try.

when do we fail the test? when we 75 pionts out of 75 we have to do it again or even 25 points out of 75 we fail it, cuz you said you did 3 times and first twice were 25 and 40 pionts, how does this go??

• Like 1

When you exceed the maximum demerits of 75, you fail the test.

I failed twice in the beginning with 25 and 40 points, respectively, not because of the demerits (Minors) but because I was dinged for a major fault, which is an instant fail regardless of the number of points you have.

I failed twice in the beginning with 25 and 40 points, respectively, not because of the demerits (Minors) but because I was dinged for a major fault, which is an instant fail regardless of the number of points you have.

thanks

• Like 1

Yep. Exactly what happened to me. I failed only once though (I had enough points but did a major fault), and succeeded on my second attempt.

I think here in NSW we have a total of 100 points. The examiner deducts points as appropriate, and the fail threshold is 90 points, which means that the driver has a leeway of 10 points.

For example, stalling a manual car is -1 point (and +100000 noob points haha :)). But failing to come to a complete halt at a stop sign, entering a roundabout when it's not your right of way, driving over a zebra crossing when a pedestrian is crossing, etc, are all insta-fails.

Edited by redeemed

Well, I don't find it too hard not to fail. I almost failed, but that was because some other guy almost ran into me. Of course I was smart and did not left turn until the other guy was supposed to. He was in left turn lane and went straight while flashing his left turn signal. He went straight and I would have failed if I had even angled my car just a little bit.

That's interesting Redeemed, rolling stops aren't instafails here, but they do cost you quite a bit of points.

Rolling stop isn't an instant fail? :)

You guys are so loose. Last I heard you can even go 5 over the speed limit or something during a test. :P

Rolling stop isn't an instant fail? :)

You guys are so loose. Last I heard you can even go 5 over the speed limit or something during a test. :P

Well this was almost 3 years ago when I got my rid of my learner's license but AFAIK rolling stop is not an instant fail

And no you cannot go over the speed limit (50km/h) however they aren't as strict about it as they were before. 52km/h is perfectly acceptable given the situation (for my Class 5 test at least)

Haha here in Alberta, one tick over speed limit? See you next time with your credit card. :) (Seriously don't drive a Civic to a driving test, you can bet that they would have some leeway if they don't see that with a digital speedometer)

Pull up next to the car, align in front with a little more room, begin reversing while turning your wheel until it locks, continue until the 45 degree marker, straighten your wheels, then reverse until your car's right mirror is in the same axis as the other car's left mirror, countersteer, get in, straighten, done.