Sign in to follow this  
chconline

New camera - SD790IS, Experience with Compu2000.com

Well, my trusty old Canon SD300 that I purchased in March 2005 finally decided to die 2 weeks ago. Well, it didn't exactly die; it still takes pictures, but the screen cracked one odd day that I didn't use it.

So in that case I needed a new camera, in which I decided to stick with compacts -- image quality is decent for what I use for in my reviews, but I'll use it a lot more rather than a dSLR in which I won't bring anywhere. I was contemplating between the new Canon Digital Elphs; the SD890IS and SD790IS. Both incorporates Canon's excellent DIGIC III image processor and image stabilization.

However, the SD890IS costs ~50 bucks more. The SD790IS features a 3" LCD screen, a fairly sleek body that's to my tastes, while an extra 50 bucks gets me a camera that's only advantage is 5x optical zoom and better macro performance (Sub 1-inch). Meanwhile the SD790IS has faster capturing performance, and some indicates that the SD790IS has better image quality. Well, to be honest, while it's fun for some real close up shots, I've lived happily without it and I will probably never use it either, and 5x optical... well, I won't use that too often either. Wasn't a hard choice, I could care less about a viewfinder.

Initially I ordered it from my favorite online store, NCIX.com, for $325.99. It was a pretty decent deal IMO but the next day I was doing some random searches and found out that a store called Compu2000 ( www.compu2000.com ) has it for $289.99! So I submitted a support ticket to NCIX since it wasn't shipped yet, but they denied my pricematch request citing that it was 'below cost'. To be honest I wasn't really too sure about Compu2000 since they are sort of new, never read anything on their reputation etc but since they are in Richmond BC and no negative reviews and such an attractive price I decided to go for them. After all, credit cards has more consumer protection than merchant protection. :P

I ordered it on Wednesday late afternoon after cancelling my NCIX order. No registration is required, and that since accounts on their site only saves shipping info there's no order tracking -- any "order tracking" is provided by the automated email system, which I found not nearly as sophisticated and customer friendly than NCIX's ordering system. Heck, there's not even a support ticket system -- you just send them messages using a form, the thing is the form when you sent a message does not indicate that a message it sent which is really confusing. That aside, after I inquired of any updates they cited 'technical problems' in regards to sending out tracking information. A few hours later, I got an email from them again, with a Purolator tracking code.

So the camera came today, very nicely packed and everything came as expected. For $289.99 + 8.99 shipping + 5% tax, it was a REALLY good deal and my experience with Compu2000 is generally very good -- fast shipping, quick to reply customer service, excellent price (As far as this camera goes in Canada) and everything arrived in excellent condition.

The next day after I ordered the camera they put it back to original price at 330 so :D

n102940032520453378188nm7.jpg

n102940032520453389509mo8.jpg

n102940032520453412896dg9.jpg

I need a camera still, at least a dedicated camera. Thanks for the info chc. Hopefully you can write a mini review on it. I'm interested in taking macro shots myself, but I don't want to spend alot for a SLR (that will be for the future though).

Actually this thing is surprisingly good with macros. Image quality is also decent.

If anyone wants to 10MP ones I can send them over, but here's some samples :P

img0014vc9.jpg

img0015uv8.jpg

Yep, too bad even NCIX is selling them at 329.99 now, which is the same as Compu2000's updated price. It was 325.99 last week :P

Pretty much everything after the SD300 was surprisingly good, they weren't meant to be value-oriented in the beginning though.

How do you think the S3/S5 from Canon compares? I know it's not exactly a point and shoot cam, and that it's not SLR but it looks pretty good, and almost at the same price. I'm not too concerned with portability, just something under $500 that can take decent macro shots, not that the 790IS was bad though :P I'm just curious on your opinion about it

Well I don't see anything that's not performing about the Ixus 70, it takes great pictures and video and I really don't know where my extra money will be going if I get a Ixus 90/SD790 IS. Could you care to let me know of its benefits?