Sign in to follow this  
gummyz

Console purchase decision

Okay, I'm going for one of those boxes that allows you to play video games on.

I already have a Wii, so it's down to a PS3 or 360. The 360 is cheaper overall, and the PS3 has BR. I know it pretty much comes down to 360 Live or PS3 BR. Anyone who has seen a BR movie, can you say it is worth it over HDMI 720p?

I don't really play online, and I don't really watch movies. So the two points there do not really count. I have a gaming PC, and most games that I want to play on the 360 are on PC. There are a handful that I would like to play though, but the PS3 has more exclusives (although they are not all "great" games).

Anyone have both, or own one?

Watching Lost in BluRay has much more noticeable improvements over normal DVD quality, but only if the screen is large enough. I couldn't really tell with any sub 50" screen.

I would've said PS3 so you can play FF XIII (yes its going to be awesome), but I just remembered that it was going to be available for XBox - 1 point for Microsoft.

Watching Lost in BluRay has much more noticeable improvements over normal DVD quality, but only if the screen is large enough. I couldn't really tell with any sub 50" screen.

I would've said PS3 so you can play FF XIII (yes its going to be awesome), but I just remembered that it was going to be available for XBox - 1 point for Microsoft.

You sure? Because even at something like a high resolution 24" computer monitor, it makes quite a difference.

You sure? Because even at something like a high resolution 24" computer monitor, it makes quite a difference.

I mean normal XGA/WXGA televisions, not computer monitors (I never watch DVDs on computers, so I assume not many people do either). I find BluRay "worth it" in my opinion if you have at least 1080p, and when viewed in normal home theatre distance, as opposed to computer monitor viewing.

Edited by ty8131990

I don't know about my gaming TV. VGA input says it supports up to 1600x1200, but I have not fully played around with it yet. It has HDMI but I don't have any handy HDMI devices around. This is also a 22" TV, that just happens to have Composite, Comonent, HDMI and VGA (altho a cheapo brand TV). So I'm guessing in your experience, I probably shouldn't really pay that much attention to HD, even tho my TV is capable. I do have a 24" monitor tho, with the same inputs (plus it's a better panel). I do get what you mean about it tho ty. Thanks.

I think FF XIII would be a game I wanna play, altho I'm not a huge fan of the newer FF. I guess I'm a little too old school, but they are still loads of fun.

I guess 360 seems to be a good bet for buying. Anymore input :D I don't buy until Jasper is out sometime in the winter, more than likely.

Good thing about the 360 is that I already have the two wireless controllers. But I do have Rockband 1 (for the PS2) equipment which would work with the PS3 (altho no backwards compatability) lol.

[edit]

Answered your question God after 1 minute of u posting lol

I think the box advertised, 720p. Tho I need to check again.

Edited by gummyz

Hehe, found HDMI cable cheap here this weekend. Superstore was selling a "PS3" HDMI cable for $7 @ 6ft. Too bad I discovered this after I ordered a couple from Monoprice lol.

I also saw @ Superstore the Pro was $30 off MSRP :S Not too bad, but not as good as the Futureshop deal with two free games @ MSRP. I almost bought one yesterday =|

Anyhow, I spoke to a few colleagues here and many are going towards PS3. I'll wait for more pples reaction. Both look great though, so it makes a tough decision.

It all depends on your taste in games. All the games I like are on 360 (or are being ported from PS3) to the 360. The only game I wanna play on the PS3 is MGS4. That's literally it... :S

Yeah, I'm about the same thoughts as yourself lukerman, only MGS4 right now. There are the other exclusives that I would like to play, but I bet they are fun for a bit and don't have lasting appeal. Both consoles pretty much have the same "A" titles, with a few that are exlusive must plays.

Well, looks like I'm gonna have to wait a little longer before making my decision. Thanks for all your inputs.