Sign in to follow this  
chconline

New Linkin Park song - New Divide

This song is pretty dark, IMO it fits the Transformers theme pretty well.

I like the newer Linkin Park stuff. I didn't like it the first time I've heard it, but it really grows and stays unlike those songs that you instantly like and forget it after 3 days.

Yeah 3's the sole provider, but again mine's unlocked. 3 should be better... but my aunt got me a PCCW card that she doesn't use and has a plan on it, so no complaints.

Back on topic, I feel that the song is very good, but sort of lost that "Linkin Park" style that brought them here today. This sounds more or less generic; but it's saved by the excellent lyrics that the band regularly produces to prevent it from being dumped into the generic category.

Yep :) Won't be as much fun to buy the Kelly Clarkson album. The profanity reduced the artistic value of Linkin Park's tradition in the previous (pretty good) album. :D

I didn't mind it, seems to be more emotional with profanity. Also it seems to increase the message of the song.

Using profanity to express an opinion significantly lowers the class and (educated people) stylistic value by the use of poor word choices. It is completely unnecessary to use explicit material to present a message effectively; factually speaking it reduces this effect and does not enhance understanding to any extent. This degradation is not justified to push forward in approach a level of uneducated crap (Sorry guys) known as rap by "artists" like 50 Cent where you make a clean version loses 2/3 of the lyrics.

Seriously the only good rap song I know is In My Prius :D

You seem to say that easily but seriously, the emphasis is there in LP, think of how many they used on 3 of their songs. It's not like rap where every other word HAS to be a swear or profane word. Anyways, profanity is something we invented in our minds. Why we are supposed to be offended is beyond my grasp. If you insult me that might make me angry but how does profane language really hurt someone else. It seems to be cultural in the sense of how me use it. Emphasis comes on the rare usage of it and heck LP barely used it. And try to sing a line with out it... (GET ME OUT OF MY (PROFANEWORD)ING MISERY!) What would you replace it with? Seriously...

You seem to say that easily but seriously, the emphasis is there in LP, think of how many they used on 3 of their songs.

No, I say that by experience and proper education. All use of the words has emphasis to it to a certain extent. Not all can be regarded equally; and while I do not condone the use of such due to degradation of the quality of art as aforementioned, they all are equally detrimental to different degrees.

It's not like rap where every other word HAS to be a swear or profane word.

Factually speaking, not all rap has to have a ridiculous amount of swears. From your point of view of this argument with this statement simply contradicts your own position on this issue.

Anyways, profanity is something we invented in our minds. Why we are supposed to be offended is beyond my grasp. If you insult me that might make me angry but how does profane language really hurt someone else.

Language itself is "invented" with our own minds. Language is used for communication -- which includes spreading ideas and expressing yourselves but are not limited to such. The same language can be used so significantly different that the person's character and way of thinking is integrated into it. A 'voice' can be implicitly defined.

Therefore, language in general, and the use of such, is as definitive as your opinion as much as the definition of your own character. The use of language can be used to offend is not beyond your grasp. You are simply denying to understand this fundamental basic of human interaction. As the old saying goes, 'Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words will never hurt me'. Do you believe that?

Explicit language does not hurt me as much as it hurts yourself to many extents.

It seems to be cultural in the sense of how me use it. Emphasis comes on the rare usage of it and heck LP barely used it. And try to sing a line with out it... (GET ME OUT OF MY (PROFANEWORD)ING MISERY!) What would you replace it with? Seriously...

Regardless of how "cultural" of how "me" use it, is compromising to ever changing societal values (And various social groups and class that you reside in) rather than having a character of your own as important as justifying the moral use (or lack thereof) of profanity? You can choose to do so yourself and justify it, but it doesn't make it right and the overall negative association with use of such language can be very well understood in this very own culture.

It doesn't matter what I would replace it with, since it is not essential to this discussion. It shouldn't be argued that Linkin Park has been very proficient in language use in the past, and I am sure that this is not necessarily an impossible challenge to them.

^ Your writing style is really confusing. Just get to the point. And saying is "Stick and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me."

As for profanity is music, its definitely not needed, but it does add something to the music. I think the occasional swear word allows the artist to express anger and passion in ways that could not be done otherwise.

Oops. On my iPhone, haha. It is to the point in a structured argument fashion.

Regardless of what it is, I'm arguing for the basis of what defined Linkin Park is as a band in the beginning and slanted off there. Hybrid Theory and Meteora is similar to a certain extent in style; where Meteora can be seen as clearly evolved from the former.

Minutes to Midnight is a 'good' album as far as the sound and lyrics are concerned for the most part, but lost 75% of the uniqueness and became more generic as it continues. Songs like "Shadow of the Day", "Leave Out All the Rest", "Valentine's Day", etc are good songs, but the style is too often explored. "New Divide" tries recoup some of the formerly lost elements in style, sound, and lyrics similar to "What I've Done" and others. Commercial success and artistic value/uniqueness aren't always related, and while I like progress, progression towards generic-ness (Which by what I would define in this context in outlining the fundamental elements of what made Linkin Park music Linkin Park) for what used to be a unique artist isn't a good sign. More in the efforts of "From the Inside", "Easier to Run", and even "In the End" were brilliantly executed and I've yet to see similar from the band in the last 5 years.

I Agree with the Chc. Actually I very much Agree with the point Profanity INCREASES emotion over the same sentence but it doesn't improve the QUALITY of the song. I dont think the Chc is disputing what you call increasing Emotion but arguing on quality of the music.

I dont like songs with swears to be Honest. Im not even religious.

^ Sweet, someone that understands me :D

Either way, we'll see about it when the new album comes out -- hopefully in the area of 'soon' :P