Sign in to follow this  
chconline

The chc's driveway guide light system.

I've always wanted to implement some guide lights on the side of my driveway for decorative purposes -- if you've ever seen how airport runways has lights on the side for illumination/track guiding, this is basically my idea :S Of course, implementing such lights could be very expensive and underground waterproof electrical wiring is not something I want to do at the moment.

001qjs.jpg

Therefore, I picked up ten solar powered bricks kindly provided by my aunt's solar power company :D How come I didn't think of that earlier? I've had a couple of these before and it worked for years without significant degradation and pretty weather-proof especially considering the fact that we're in Canada. (Note: These are very high quality solar bricks with solar panels developed by a proprietary solar cell encapsulation process and each unit can be submerged in water full time by design. Each unit is also hand tested. These are not the run of the mill POS solar bricks that die after 3 months and I can prove it here haha.) These aren't available in direct retail so if anyone is interested I can hook you up on purchasing as much as you like.

I wanted all white LED lit ones but somehow I ended up with 4 red, 3 orange, and 3 yellow :P Regardless of what the color is, I have my ways of deploying them nicely. As long as they're not all different colors anyway.

002ieh.jpg

A quick overview of the front of my house. Four bricks will be used on the right side up the driveway, while three are going to be used on the left up to the curve spot for people to walk to the front door. Three bricks are then going to be used as pedestrian route guides along the left of the path.

003dpi.jpg

Previewing the spaces with my bricks along the right side to see how it would look before I start digging. Yes there's some weed on the side, but I've been away for a month and I'll pull them some other time :P

The bricks can be configured to blink or steady illumination. Obviously blinking will enhance the battery life, but I really don't NEED it to last the entire night (it should with sufficient sunlight though regardless). After poking the buttons at the back behind a panel, they're all configured for steady lighting so it won't annoy the neighbors or catch too much attention.

004zcx.jpg

One brick installed on the right side where the rocks are.

005frw.jpg

The left side with the grass.

I'll post night photos when... it's nighttime :P

On the negative side: I have no security implemented yet. It can pretty much be just ripped out from the ground in 10 seconds. AND DON'T TRY COMING TO MY HOUSE TO TAKE THEM NOW. :P

Alright, night pics are up. It looks better in person but I tried my best. ISO 200 f/16 15 second shutter since I got a tripod to make it 'look nice' in the photo :D

img0825o.jpg

img0826tlo.jpg

img0827k.jpg

img0828a.jpg

img0829d.jpg

img0830c.jpg

Personally I think it would have looked better if they were all white or one color, but since I don't have that, I've made it almost symmetrical on both sides and becomes more red when it approaches the garage door.

Looks pretty nice. I wanted to get some lights on my yard too but I'm afraid they get stolen. As soon as the spike ones drop down to $2 each, I'll grab like 5 for my front yard. The staircase near the front of my house is brutal. One time I fell down backwards in flip flops before the new railing was added.

@CHC: Looks like a nice runway.

Edited by shc-boomer

$2 for what? Those things die after like a month...

@ Big Bang: Thanks :D

Nah, the $2 ones here are actually pretty good. Its surprising. My neighbor has some of those.

Yeah, but at the same time you have to consider not every can afford 30-60$ solar blocks for their driveway :D

There's a ton of products, it really depends what you want... a little hint, a solar glass brick is coming soon with a Korean made super cap instead of a battery for better performance and significantly improved reliability in the long run. It looks much nicer too. Not released yet though, I could barely get my hands on the prototype when I was working there several weeks back. It's going to cost more than this because this one has been around for quite a while now. I know the manufacturing cost but there needs to be a reasonable profit of margin and teh 1337 FedEx shipping.

There's also a light strip that I have on my fence... but the brick implementation is way cooler. :D

Very nice chc. The way you put it is pretty amazing. What camera did you use for the photos? It looks fantastic.