Sign in to follow this  
redeemed

Crazy hailing weather!

AAAANND, let's welcome some copypasta from my blog: :P

So yesterday night I was at a friend's place for Bible study. A ferocious thunder/rain/hail storm started at about 11:30 pm, until quarter to 12. There already was a whole lot of hail in front of my friend's garage door.

We had already finished the study, so when the rain and hail let up slightly, I said my goodbyes and ran to my car. I turned on the car, made a phone call while waiting for it to warm up, and then I left. When I turned on the wipers to clear the windscreen of the rain, I heard a loud swooshing sound, and then 2 piles of hail slid down the windscreen. At that point I knew that the storm wasn't any old random hail storm; it was serious stuff.

Driving away, the road was very wet, so I drove carefully around corners and roundabouts. When I passed the 1st roundabout on my way home, I saw the most amazing sight. Hail literally covered the road, except for the wheel paths. That includes the shoulder, the grass and concrete median, and the pavement. I took some pics with a POC 1.3MP phone camera that I happened to have with me :( Better than nothing, but not much better, haha. Oh, and pardon that weird bug-shaped blotch to the right of center in the photos. I think something happened to the camera, resulting in that blotch.

The photos definitely don't do it justice; I was going to go back with a proper camera, but I wasn't able to get the car off my sloped front lawn, due to the abundance of hail. In the end, I didn't think it was such a big deal to take photos. Still, next time I'm going to take my camera in case something like this happens!

Visit my blog to see photos and captions; I can't be bothered to upload them again to APH :P

The road was very slippery too. When I pulled over, the car slid a bit (about 30 cm) as it came to a stop. Also, while turning on the 2nd roundabout (which is where the below "hail drift" was), the car skidded slightly, despite me only turning at about 15 km/h. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was scary; it was actually (dare I say) kinda fun.

Remember that all this is in October; in reality, the weather felt like July!

This is nothing new for most of you APH peeps, as most of you hail (see what I did there :() from North America where this and way worse happens every winter. But for me it's new and novel and cool (again, lol) because this stuff never happens here :P

Thanks for reading yo (Y)

Edited by redeemed

It doesn't happen just in winter here in the southern US. Usually in the Spring/Summer thunderstorms. I've seen it about half an inch deep on the back deck.

Glad that your car didn't suffer any damage because of it.

Edited by CrashGordon

Glad you're safe man. I don't think you would have noticed any difference with your car if there are any damage though :P

Thanks Crash & chc. There weren't many bends at all, but still, driving slowly in icy conditions is generally recommended, haha (Y)

Lol chc :P

Thanks for the uploads T6LMT :P I think it's a scratch or something stuck inside the lens :P

Edited by redeemed

Haha, I'm pretty sure its a bug. It appears that way on my comp, and I just zoomed in on my iPhone (which I am using to type this message btw) and its certainly a bug.

Yeah that is generally recommended. Speaking of which, I've had just about enough of my Goodyear Eagle RSAs haha. Time for some Continental ExtremeContact DWS :P