Sign in to follow this  
Mindovermaster

ISP Opinions

I'll be on AT&T's 768Kbps connection possibly until I get a full-time job. this way I can maybe pay half.

I don't really like AT&T, but its all we can afford right now, and my mom is tight on money atm.

I was looking at the following:

Verizon

Phone + 3Mbps/768Kbps = $40 for months 1-6, $69.99 for months 7-12

Phone + 3Mbps/768Kbps + DirecTV = $70 for months 1-6, $94.99 for months 7-12

FiOS Internet 15Mbps/5Mbps + FiOS TV Essentials = $84.99 with annual agreement

(Hopkins has this deal, and is loving it)

Phone + FiOS Internet + FiOS TV Essentials = $99.99 with annual agreement

Time Warner/ Road Runner

Sorry, for some odd reason, this isn't working atm. But most of the Internet + TV bundle plans are around $90.

I'm not exactly sure what else is available in my home town. For anyone who knows of other ISP's, my Zip Code is 53403. My city is Racine, WI, USA.

• Like 1

I guess it depends on family needs. I'm biased towards RR/TW since I used to work for their support, and I thought to myself that I would never get their service. If I did the same for Verizon, I'm sure I would say the same. In any case, I tried googling isps in your area, quickly with no luck on finding any. Your best bet may be to look at yellow pages or ask neighbours/friends/family in the area for choices. At least here in Canada, most of the cheaper DSL options require you to have your own modem but their rates are generally 5-10 cheaper than the big companies. Most of these cheaper DSL companies usually only offer phone service, so no cable TV or anything like this.

Sorry for not being more helpful, but if you can survive AT&T's slow connection and it doesn't bother you too much, then I may stick with it, and save some more money this way (depending on how much cheaper it really is). I don't know that much about American ISPs. I've heard good things about speakeasy, going back a few years but unsure if they service your area, and it may be pricey compared to the prices you've listed.

Who provides your TV service now, and do they offer Internet/Phone too? If you've had a long enough service with them, you may want to call customer service and ask for a bundle, then a discount for being with them so long. It works here with some of the bigger companies and you can easily save a good amount of money over a year. You can even maybe call another company and ask for a quote, and go back to your cable TV provider and say that you are thinking of switching to another company due to a better deal. These customer service people, I believe, usually have flexibility to give you a deal, as they are given a certain amount to play around with to help give better deals for existing customers (or retention as they call it).

Edited by gummyz
  • Like 1

I have Time Warner for cable TV. We are on the lowest plan, which has about 40-50 channels or so....

I looked at DirecTV, and Dish Network, but the prices are terrible for the speed.

We have AT&T for our phone, too. We have the lowest plan on that too, no free long distance.

We can't get a faster DSL speed unless we go with AT&T U-Verse. We are too far from where the DSL connects to.

It's fine for the moment, as I only surf the internet, but if we have all 4 of our computers running online, it does get a bit slow..

Yeah, I'm sure Hopkins would say that as well :whistle:

But I think we would get the best deal if we go with a bundle. I'll have to see what's available, and what prices we are paying now VS the new cost. Of phone, Cable TV, I know our internet is 19.99/month for 768Kbps.

• Like 1

Bundle is the best way, and you're best to go back to each company you currently have service with, and state the pluses of each of the company's services (ie lowest rates from AT&T, call VZ and tell them this and hopefully this will help make the bundle be cheaper). I just remember calling Rogers and cancelling my Internet service over cable to DSL and they tried to make all types of deals with me, but I refused because they were capping downloads. Yeah 768 on 2 or more PCs would be quite bogged down, and if you're a gamer, it will lag at times too. I always have said that Internet should now be an essential service (at least for those who can't afford it and need to find a job).

I hope you can find something that works for you. I know Rogers and Bell offer cell phone plans to be bundled with home service plans, so something else to keep in mind if you or your family member(s) have cell phones.

• Like 1

They indeed do, Gummyz, but we have a shootty provider, Virgin Mobile, you pay at least $20 in 3 months. I would love to have a phone where you can text and call all you want.

But as I said, my mom is tight on money, despise all the crap she buys and uses half of it only once.

I might go with Time Warner, as we get cable TV from them, and we might be able to put a bundle together. Maybe get a phone line with them, and drop AT&T all together. Cable would be faster than DSL, no doubt. The best deal would be the 7Mbps line, plus you get free PowerBoost, which knocks it up to 15Mbps, I think...

Road Runner at up to 7.0Mbps

Road Runner with up to 7 Mbps provides broadband speeds that are up to 125 times faster than dial-up and over 4 times faster than DSL Express!

PowerBoost is FREE with Road Runner Standard and Turbo service. It activates automatically when capacity is available.

$46.95 Monthly

online offer only

and..

Turbo Charged Road Runner at up to 15Mbps

Road Runner Turbo with PowerBoost is even faster than our already blazing fast standard Road Runner speeds, allowing you to download large files in a flash. With download speeds up to 15 MBPS, Road Runner Turbo has the speed to fit your needs. And now with PowerBoost, you can get a burst of speed up to 19 MBPS when downloading big files.

PowerBoost is FREE with Road Runner Standard and Turbo service. It activates automatically when capacity is available.

Maybe I'll call up Time Warner, or go to their store, and see what deal i can get.

I wish I worked on the Retention contract for TW/RR, I could definately be of help lol. RR/TW is good, but when you work in support, you see things differently sometimes. I wouldn't mind RR/TW if I lived in the states and it was a good deal.

• Like 1

+1 for Verizon. AT&T has the ****iest support and thats the same for their wireless network.

• Like 1

The ATT techs are pretty good actually, I had one come to my house Monday because my internet was down. The problem was that when ATT changed their service, they switched the hardware as well, so my DSL line can't connect to them at fast speeds now.

But, i might rather go with road runner/time warner, and get rid of ATT forever, get a phone, tv, and cable internet bundle.

We had their cablee tv for years, so they might get us a good deal for being on so long.

oh, I just looked on Verizon, I can't get them in my area, although they are just a few miles from my house..

Edited by Mindovermaster