Sign in to follow this  
gummyz

Help me buy a LCD TV

As the description goes. I'm looking more at 46" or 47" though.

Main uses (prioritized):

Gaming - PS3 and XBox

PC Hookup - Most LCD displays now support 1080p on VGA. I remember seeing 1366x768 on a 1080p via VGA =/ Anyhow HTPC will use this as my 2nd display

Movies/Shows/Documentaries - Mainly using Bluray but I do have DVDs I wanna watch from time to time

I will not be watching TV on this at all, as I'm not going to get cable/digital/satellite.

Does 120hz really matter that much? Am I paying a premium for something that really is hard to see a difference? I guess it depends on the person.

My biggest problem right now is which company? LG being the cheapest with the most features. Samsung/Sharp stuck in the middle in terms of pricing and of course Sony mostly being the most expensive.

Does anyone want to let me know of their experiences with their branded TVs, and any input on 120hz.

I'll have more to ask I'm sure as the weekend approaches but I'm sleepy. APH is gonna ruin my life, in a good way lol.

• Like 2

Seems like for what you need it for a computer monitor with 2 HDMI inputs as well as DVI/VGA for your HTPC would be the most optimal solution.

120Hz doesn't make a significant difference, but motion is slightly more fluid. Importantly you'll want something that's 1080p (not i). Personally I found Sony Bravias to have superior display quality, while surprisingly at retail stores LG doesn't seem to stand out for me.

Despite what they say on Tv, Vizio being the best TV, It's really not. I saw a lot of them come back into Wal-Mart while I was working there.

I do recommend Bravia or Panasonic. I never had really good knowledge of Samsung, but that might be another option.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses all.

I guess LCD TVs, or TVs in general follows the whole you get for what you pay. Seeing as most have mentioned Sony Bravia line, I'll have a second look at it. I tried to ask the Futureshop rep to give me a deal on a bundle with a Sony 120hz 46" (V5100), but he only knocked off $200 (bundled with PS3 Slim 120GB, TV Stand, Pioneer speaker/receiver system and protection plan). Anyhow, not a sweet deal at all so I'm going back again to see what I can do for a cheaper price. All that and after taxes was something like $2800 (ouch!).

Surprised no one mentioned Sharp Aquos as I have heard they are the best LCD TVs, for price and "performance". Is this wrong, or has Sharp been surpassed by others?

@shift - yeah that's what I plan on doing, maybe even HDMI to the LCD TV to support HDCP in the future when I get a Bluray drive for the PC. VGA/DVI is definately a good alternative.

@chc - do you happen to know if upconverting to 1080p would make 120hz "work better" or actually see a difference, or are you speaking of 1080p native content? LG doesn't stand out for me in terms of output for sure, but the features and price I guess tells you the story.

@TL6MT - Hot car!!! I feel sad cuz I just missed the Dell deal on the Philips 46" (or was it 47") which was 120hz, but I hesitated since I don't know where I would ship it to since I didn't have a place yet lol.

@MoM - I'll stay away from Vizio as I know a local store here carries it and I would get a good discount off of it, but I'm not going to cheap myself too much.

@boomer - I was looking at Samsung myself, so I'm glad I'm not too far off.

• Like 1

Let me take a picture (when I get my new camera) of the 52" Sony Bravia V5100 (60Hz) in our living room.

It's a 60Hz TV, but really I can't notice any difference from our neighbor's TV (family friends) and they have the 120Hz version of the V5200 (120Hz)

If you don't want Sony, you could always go with Sharp but price wise they are a TINY bit higher when you're looking at 42-52" category.

See if you can get one of those awesome bundles with the 5.1 surround sound set as well :whistle:

We got our TV with the Sony HT-SF360 5.1 set for I think just under $2500 CAD before tax.

Edited by shift

Really the whole hz thing is just marketing, most people won't notice a difference. it's technically SMOOTHER but unless you're viewing it side by side it's not a big deal. It's not IPS vs TN kind of deal.

• Like 1

@ shift - oh my 52". Hmmm maybe I need one that big then lol. TIA for the pics if you manage to get them. Not to worry if you forget to do so, since I can have a glance at it when I visit Futureshop again. I guess I'll drop Sharp for now since not many deals on those.

@TL6MT - Yeah, I agree with your IPS vs TN panel type of assessment. I forgot to mention that I read somewhere that 120hz and 240hz has more to deal with 24fps films. Basically the idea is that 60 does not divide into 24 evenly, therefore it requires some "filler". With the new 120/240hz, dividing those by 24 does produce even numbers, and therefore no "filler" is required, which results in better motion. Also, since LCDs use 60hz based refresh rates, refresh rates need to be a even multiple of 60 (btw when I mention even, I mean no remainder is left over after division for those wondering). Anyone else care to comment on this, feel free. I think I may just drop the 120hz priority a little more judging from various comments that it doesn't really make a big difference (at least for now. Brand seems to be a bigger factor (along with what the brand brings in terms of technological advancements).

Wish I could buy Plasma, but since I'm pretty much just gaming on this, Plasma is generally a no-no. I have read some people saying you can do things to help (possibly) prevent screen burn-in but it can still happen.

• Like 1

Only advantage I can think of immediately for 120Hz vs 60Hz (aside from the usual smoother viewing experience theory) is that you can have NVIDIA 3D Vision on your TV!

In any case, our neighbors did tell us that the extra $1000 CAD (it's not going to be as much of a difference if you're looking at 42") or so that they spent on a 120Hz TV was not quite worth it. When they came over they said our 60Hz looked just as good as their 120Hz.

Edited by shift