Sign in to follow this  
Mindovermaster

Micro SD

Are all brands of Micro SD about the same?

I need some more space on my mp3 player. 4gb doesn't cut it when you have 12.4gb of music...

Anyway, I heard from a friend of mine that all the companies that make them are about the same, just get the cheapest one, and you're fine.

Opinions? :whistle:

I have about $20 on paypal from different people, so I just need to know where I can get it cheap.

A-DATA, SanDisk, Kingston, Patriot are all acceptable. I might have missed a few but those are the most common ones.

Thanks, Shift. I heard of A-DATA all over, but I didn't know if they were good.

If I remember correctly, Wintec, Transcend, Crucial (had their ddr way back in the days), and OCZ were good..

But I'll snoop around and see what I can get where, for how much.

I would like around 8gb, unless I can get a good deal on the higher end of storage.

I got a 8Gb SanDisk off of Ebay for 19.79, free standard shipping, just used my paypal money I had.

Comes with the memory, a sd adapter, and case

So you can all shut up now, Thank you.

Edited by Mindovermaster

Never heard of Wintec SD cards, but Transcend and OCZ are pretty common brands as well. My original list isn't exactly the most comprehensive one :whistle:

I usually buy what's cheapest, but a name I recognize. I have SD/uSD Cards from A-Data, OCZ, Sandisk, Kingston and even our own branded Nokia ones. I guess it depends on what the use is of the card. If I were to get one for let's say a digital camera for HD video, then you'll want something Class 6 (which may not be available in the size you want). I guess what differs between each company and the Class versions are the actual speeds they read/write.

I would say any brands that have been mentioned in this thread are good, just make sure it is the Class version you want, depending on your need. For a mp3 player, Class 2 is fine.

BTW, I have had one Kingston 4GB be not useable anymore, so I don't buy Kingston anymore, but they aren't bad by any means.

• Like 3

Humm, I'm looking at getting a 4Gb Class4 Kingston or A-Data (both are same price) for my new camera. Might have to go with the A-Data after gummyz issue with Kingston. Although it's just like every other thing thats mass produced, bound to be a few defects that slip past QC.

• Like 2

Most brands are OK IMO, never really had a problem with branded stuff. Its warranty that counts but I heard the chc's OCZ died randomly back in the days.

• Like 2

Yeah, I figure there are lemons out there (which is why I don't hold anything against Kingston yet). Don't almost all SD/uSD (or just flash memory in general) come with life-time warranties? I never checked my packaging so I forget. A-data SD 16GB Class 6 is my newest card, so I can't comment on long term life. So far though, all the others I have listed are fine and are 5+ years, with some light use of read/write. Oh I forgot to mention I have a couple of Patriot SD cards (class 6) for my p/s camera. So far so good too.

• Like 2

That is good, most name brands are good enough. No name brands are usually lower quality due to their quality control and usually being an OEM. Warranty is also usually nil, so any damage will be hard pressed to find any free replacement.

Not really, no name brands check in on the label of 'cheap' to attract consumers. There's obvious areas of cost cutting, one being the product itself and the other being post-purchase support. I don't understand what is the relevance of being 'OEM' and low quality here, someone has to make the products and all products are produced by an OEM.

Again, it depends who you purchase it from. For example, Super Talent is an OEM and produces excellent self-branded products for flash. Intel is another excellent example for SSDs. In related computer products, Seasonic sells both self-branded products and direct to other brands. The stuff they sell themselves are often higher tiered than the ones they OEM.

True, I was referring to companies such as WinTec and other things along that line or some other random company you may never had heard of.

Probably a fake with a Sandisk logo, but heck who cares. As long as it was a good deal.

Edited by shc-boomer

Can you actually load up 8GB of data into the card?

It looks pretty authentic to me personally. Of course, I am no expert in recognizing fake SD cards. Benchmark it to see if it actually delivers the class performance and able to accommodate the amount of data.

Most stuff from China looks legit, or very close anyways. Benchmarking for performance is best and trying to load on a proper file greater than 4GB is also a good idea to test the Micro SD card.