Sign in to follow this  
Mindovermaster

Drinking and Flying, a terrible idea!

There is ZERO tolerance for alcohol when you fly.

I'm sure Big Bang being the expert in what he does can explain better than I can, but pilots do NOT watch movies on their laptops in flight. And I'm pretty sure any pilot doing that will lose their job or at the very least get indefinitely suspended by the company they work for (though I could be wrong, and pilots actually have crew parties in the cockpit while at FL360)

In any case, Happy New Year in about 10 hours!

Edited by shift

Think of it you have a couple hundred Passengers, those who were on their Laptop during flight is HIGHLY irresponsible behavior but its not the first time they've done it and they're not the only one. Safety is important not just for yourself but for everyone onboard.

It depends on country but if I remember correctly in USA its 0.04 bac and 8 hours between Bottle to Throttle, some places are 0.02 and 6 hours, some 0.00 but I ALWAYS go by 0.00 and 12 hours. (also depends on airline)

• Like 3

Think of it you have a couple hundred Passengers, those who were on their Laptop during flight is HIGHLY irresponsible behavior but its not the first time they've done it and they're not the only one. Safety is important not just for yourself but for everyone onboard.

It depends on country but if I remember correctly in USA its 0.04 bac and 8 hours between Bottle to Throttle, some places are 0.02 and 6 hours, some 0.00 but I ALWAYS go by 0.00 and 12 hours. (also depends on airline)

IIRC my friend whom I knew from Air Cadets said there was 0.00 within 24 hours (was actually at my house a year ago for New Years but couldn't drink because he had to fly)

In any case, the alcohol limit is VERY LOW.

And I think the one with the laptop was actually two Northwest Airlines (Delta Air Lines) pilots that overflew the airport :wub:

Edited by shift

Different Institutions have different rules. Commercial airline pilots are relatively loose, which I dont agree with. Racing drivers are 0.00 so why not pilots?

• Like 2

Thread split due to a reply that did not have enough thought put into it.

For me, I would go with No flying when drinking. I wouldn't like to be on a flight when things go wrong by any means.

But not related to incompetent or intoxicated pilots. 9/11 was caused by terrorist attacks, not negligence on the part of the pilots or drinking while flying, which is the discussion we are having now.

But they were negligent, as is drinking and flying, or driving over the limit stated by the company in question.

Edited by shift

No relation at all, 9/11 was sad, drinking and flying is just a bad idea. So, the only thing really related is a plane, like WTF?

Drinking and flying is HIGHLY irresponsible behavior as others have said - a professional race car driver and even transport drivers are not allowed alcohol level. Same goes with the local track when we go racing.

• Like 1

Even 9/11? *rembers 9/11* :wub:

9/11 was a terrorist attack through plane hijacking, not a result of incompetent or intoxicated pilots.

+1 we as pilots run into a risk every day. Think of us as higher paying Bus drivers. You never know who's on the Bus and you're in charge, you're ****ed if anything goes wrong.

Well, yes, something bad did still happen, though..

But not related to incompetent or intoxicated pilots. 9/11 was caused by terrorist attacks, not negligence on the part of the pilots or drinking while flying, which is the discussion we are having now.

+1 to shift as well, MoM stop trying to change topics and sound intelligent. This has NOTHING to do with irresponsible Pilots and 9/11 is an unfortunate terrorist attack for many Americans. It doesnt matter if something bad happens, it is NOT the Pilot's fault and it doesn't have anything to do with Alcohol levels.

Well, the pilots that missed the airport weren't drunk...

You just argued against yourself? They were INCOMPETENT pilots not intoxicated and somethign bad still happened as you said in the previous quote. You make no sense.

But they were negligent, as is drinking and flying, or driving over the limit stated by the company in question.

+1

No relation at all, 9/11 was sad, drinking and flying is just a bad idea. So, the only thing really related is a plane, like WTF?

Basically he's trying to change Topics to support his point.

1. drinking and flying

2. not drinking and flying

3. laptop distractions

4. terrorist attack?

• Like 2