Sign in to follow this  
CrashGordon

A Friend Came To Visit

Even though I live in a fairly populated city just outside of Atlanta, GA we still have quite a bit of wildlife (not including myself (Y) ).

It's not too uncommon to see raccoons (had to chase a few off the back deck before) and we have a small creek toward the back of the property and have seen a Great Blue Heron "fishing" in the creek several times as well as a hawk (don't know if it's the same one or not, but it landed in the Dogwood tree out front and I was able to snap a few pics before it took off.

hawk02.th.jpg

hawk03.th.jpg

It was about 1.5 foot tall which is pretty normal for a hawk of this type. Just thought it was cool and I'd share something a little different with ya'll. :lol:

• Like 2

That's pretty sweet. I've always loved wildlife photography, but there's nothing to capture around here, even during the summer. (Y) Thanks for sharing, cool stuff CrashGordon.

Pick up an EOS 50D with the Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Telephoto Lens. You'll get amazing results! :lol:

Once the weather is warmer I plan to make a trip to Kennesaw Mountain so I should have some more interesting pics. Also plan to spend some time at the Chattahoochee river this summer and may also make a trip to Sweetwater Creek State park.

• Like 1

You used a Kodak camera according to the EXIF data? I would have sworn it was a cell phone lol :lol: even at ISO80.

Yep, Kodak C180. I'm still trying to learn what settings to use for various situations. This is the first camera I've ever owned, I always just used those disposable ones.

It was also through the window so that may have distorted it a little. I also used the digital zoom, so I'm not sure if that had something to do with it either.

• Like 1

Yeah that's the problem. Don't ever use digital zoom... it's the same thing as making a 640x480 image 1024x768 or whatever. It does not increase optical resolution and instead crops the image and enlarges it.

Here's a quick comparo of my 5 year old EOS 20D with stock lenses (Prosumer camera) vs my SD790IS (Which is probably one of the best compacts ever made) which I bought last year... it's pretty clear which one is the dSLR and which one is the compact, especially when it comes to depth of field, even though I don't have fancy lenses. :lol:

comp1f.jpg

dslr1.jpg

comp2.jpg

dslr2.jpg

Yeah I can see the difference, the first pic in each one looks better. I'll remember not to use the digital zoom, this was the first one that I did.

I'm still learning and it's all new to me, but I've been playing around with the settings and trying to take the same pic (as close as possible) and compare what worked and what didn't.

I know this isn't the highest quality camera so I'm not really expecting outstanding picture quality, but I think it's just a matter of getting the right settings.

Edited by CrashGordon
  • Like 1

Cool stuff Crash -

I would say the second pic looks better. The first one's contrast is slightly better but looks a bit artificial - the second one has VASTLY better depth of field - EXIF data check shows the second one is the EOS too.

Edited by TL6MT
  • Like 1

That's what I was looking at, the colors looked more vivid, but now that you said something and having a second look, the second one does have more detail. I can see the little vent holes in the soffit.

I never really gave photos much thought until now. :lol: So any tips or links to places for beginners would be much appreciated.

I'm not expecting great shots from this camera, just decent ones.

Edited by CrashGordon
  • Like 1

The Canon SD790IS has a newer image processor, so technological wise the compact is technically more advanced. However, there are physical issues that the compact is limited to, and we can see that. Again, I don't have any good lenses, but the dSLR produces much more natural color -- the SD790IS is a usually a bit artificial and dark with poor depth of field as with all compacts. The EOS 20D, although old, is a brilliant camera. If I was ever to upgrade I'd buy an EOS 5D Mk II which has amazing 1080p video recording too. (Lenses are another story.)

I'm no photography expert but I can definitely help you out on a few things :lol: Just start a new thread around here haha. Sorry for bringing it so off topic. (Y)

I'd have to say you're more of an expert than me. Don't worry about it getting off topic, it can be moved or something when I make a new thread. :lol:

• Like 1