Sign in to follow this  
Mindovermaster

My mom killed our TV!

No, I'm not ranting, blaming her, or any of the kind.

She touched the volume button on the TV, WHAMMO. She must of shocked it, and sent a fuse. Nothing on the TV nor remote works. It is set to one channel, one volume. Nothing can change it. No menu, no AV switch, nothing.

Only good thing is that there are sales now for on TVs for the Super Bowl :P Hopefully we can get a nice LCD! (Hate the CRT look, even if they are LCD-rated)

Edited by Mindovermaster

Think it was a Isigna, or something like that. I'm just about to go to bed, so I'll check in the morning.

It was a hand-me-down from my Uncle when our last tv went down. Was only a few years old when we got it.

Edited by Mindovermaster

Ok. We got a new TV LCD. Sylvania 32" from Target. Our first TV with HDMI. We can also watch HD channels for the first time. Was on sale for $299, Super Bowl sale.

Edited by Mindovermaster

So basically the TV was dying already - your mom didn't break anything.

Sylvania isn't any better, still ****ty TVs.

• Like 1

So basically the TV was dying already - your mom didn't break anything.

Sylvania isn't any better, still ****ty TVs.

:P Good point. How would you break something if it's already dying in the first place?

And yes, Sylvania is some crappy TV. I haven't even heard of such a brand because it's so crappy :P

• Like 2

My mother is a cheapskate. Unless she drastically needs it, she never buys anything unless its on sale. And she reads "reviews" from the most obscene places. If she's happy, I'm happy. If it breaks, she's paying for it. I recommended Vizio, Sony, or Samsung, everything ricocheted off hear forehead. *shrugs*

I don't think it's necessarily about reliability (Most electronics are fairly comparable nowadays) but rather image quality and performance.

Either way, enjoy your new TV... as CrashGordon said, at least you got a TV. :P

I heard different about Vizio. I know one guy that used to do back stock at Walmart. The Vizios were oriented the wrong way, hence a lot of them break because of that. He now works at Sears, and they handle it the right way. That's just what I heard. I never owned a Vizio.

Nonetheless, I should be fine with that TV until I can get my own. I'd have to, some way, get the cable up into my room, though. Shouldn't be hard for time warner to do it.

Edited by Mindovermaster

Having the cable company run a new cable line for you seems like a bad idea. I've read a number of "horror stories" about the big cable companies randomly running wires, however and wherever they feel like it - in and out of windows, through chimneys, and punching random holes in the wall. It seems like it might be better to have a licensed electrician run the line, so it can get done neatly, properly and safely (or at least to look into it, if you are unable to run the line yourselves). Me being partly OCD, I'm a proponent of "neat," so that's just my two cents. :P

So, why did you even say that Time Warner would do it? There is always beef with cable company service in terms of installations. Although, the fact that your last few posts and topics involve your mother, I am not the least bit surprised it would be hard to get a new TV for you. Especially when you have to run cables and run circles to get things done in the house. Well, maybe not run circles, but you should catch my drift.