Sign in to follow this  
Mindovermaster

Making Jokes and its Context

Is a joke foreign to you?

Good jokes aren't. Bad jokes are. :P

I see the joke I made flew right over your head...and you took it out of context.

I'm saying YOU didn't get MY joke and took it COMPLETELY out of context.

YOU said the following:

@Shift: We joke and spam all the time, how is this any different?

Which is a reply that indicates you took the joke out of context BECAUSE I said:

Good jokes aren't. Bad jokes are. :P

Which is in response to:

Is a joke foreign to you?

Because you made a bad joke, and I gave you a JOKE which was also disguised as a reply telling you your joke was bad. Which happened to be spam (and a joke)

I'm sure someone here will get the tongue in cheek humor I just used. :P

Edited by shift

"Is a joke foreign to you?"

Is in response to Wolken....

If I am referring to another post, I usually type "@username"

If I am referring to the top post, I post normal.

Please stop doing this, ok?

Edited by Mindovermaster

"Is a joke foreign to you?"

Is in response to Wolken....

If I am referring to another post, I usually type "@username"

If I am referring to the top post, I post normal.

Please stop doing this, ok?

If I remember correctly, prior to this thread being split, shift's post was right above yours. All BWolken said was "This" after a quote box, which was a few posts above.

MoM -- don't be fooled. Please don't think for a second that I misunderstood your "joke." It was a bad joke, plain and simple. The joke would have been mildly funny if the cable guy had ruined your television, and not your mother. If the cable guy was having inappropriate relations with a member of your family, the joke would have warranted a chuckle. Electrocuting the cable guy for no reason at all is not funny -- not because I love cable guys, but for the simple fact that it is void of all humor. Do me a favor and please do not drag me into any other "jokes" you might have. Thank you.

• Like 2

Don't get mad at me either, it's called tongue in cheek. Not meant to be taken seriously.

And hence you took my joke out of context because you took it seriously when it was originally not intended to be.

Do you understand now?

Which brings me back to the original point, if jokes have to be explained in such detail for one to understand, then it might as well not be a joke.

Edited by shift

Can we start on a clear slate here? I'm sorry if I took it in the wrong way, but these drugs for seizures aren't necessarily putting my brain at ease.

Stress and depression never were a good duo... :P

Edited by Mindovermaster

If you are depressed then you should be seeing a counselor. Not doing nothing about it and posting about your problems on APH.

Edited by shift

It is from medicine, not my head. I've tried ways to relieve it, but at times it's hard.

When did I ever post about my problems?

In the finding work thread, I was talking out my physical problems, not mentally.

Can you just all ignore my ranting, please? So you don't put more stress on me?

Edited by Mindovermaster

I'm sorry if I took it in the wrong way, but these drugs for seizures aren't necessarily putting my brain at ease.

Stress and depression never were a good duo... :P

Along with every other time you bring up seizures, and drugs and depression and remember that fiasco with your reputation?

Not saying it's not okay, but if you really have a serious depression problem it's better to see a counselor. Instead of bringing it up on APH or making a thread about it.

Edited by shift

I'm trying to explain this to you guys so you don't make me so mad that I want to throw my computer out the window.

No other forum site I go to gives me these problems, just here. I just need to relax, and I can't do it here.

This used to be a fun place, but now it's not. I have -3000 reps. I try to ignore it, but In ways, I can't. BigBang, not TL so much, pushes me too far.

I'm sorry, but I try to make you understand then you blow it up in my face. That's not a good feeling.

What I'm saying is if an internet forum makes you want to throw your computer out the window, go on a killing rampage, murder your parents etc. etc. etc. you should PROBABLY get some professional help.

I'm going to be brutally honest here, and HOPEFULLY you understand.

It's okay to rant, but at the end of the day, I'm sure MOST people who go online and post on a forum will understand this, no one ACTUALLY cares deeply for ANYONE's well being. That's just the sad reality of the internet, anyone you meet on it is really just an e-friend and that's it.

We will all give advice, but for me the main focus of being on this forum/website is to discuss technology. Not the problems associated with our everyday lives.

If you can't relax then don't post as much here. I'm not "kicking you out" or "telling you to go away" because I will never say that to anyone here. But if you can't relax here, or if APH is giving you some kind of stress that you can't handle then why be here?

Edited by shift

I'm not going to give examples as that would escalate this thread beyond what I want it to become. And it wouldn't be something appropriate for a staff member to be posting about towards a forum member.

But you expect US not to stress you out, how about you don't let what OTHER people post on these forums (or any forums for that matter) stress you out instead?

Edited by shift

Most people on the internet thinks they can tell emotion from text, which in reality they can't. I am not discouraging you from being on APH and I like a diversity of people on here. No one else has a problem but yourself on here so it is clear where there might be a problem in misinterpretation.

MoM -- don't be fooled. Please don't think for a second that I misunderstood your "joke." It was a bad joke, plain and simple. The joke would have been mildly funny if the cable guy had ruined your television, and not your mother. If the cable guy was having inappropriate relations with a member of your family, the joke would have warranted a chuckle. Electrocuting the cable guy for no reason at all is not funny -- not because I love cable guys, but for the simple fact that it is void of all humor. Do me a favor and please do not drag me into any other "jokes" you might have. Thank you.

:lol:

• Like 2

Yeah, that's actually true. Try not to take things personally and don't try to "tell" emotion from a string of text.