Sign in to follow this  
chconline

Intel Core i7 980X Extreme Edition

:thumbsup::):P

And on top of that maybe even a Fermi review? chc seems to be in contact with some NVIDIA manufacturers. Pure speculation of course until we get official confirmation.

Kenneth is right -- I won't be doing any graphics review for a while. We need to develop new benchmarks and this is certainly not the right time, at least for me personally.

Hopefully it does, but it really depends on the benchmarks. Since all six cores must be used, so in real world, I would say performance difference is negligible compared to an i7 but with CPU intensive software this will all change.

Can you review the new i7-930 as well?

He COULD, but something tells me Intel might not send him a 930 if he's going to be getting a 980X though it has happened before when he got the E7200 with the QX9650.

I don't think it would be beneficial though in terms of analyzing performance because the i7 930 is only slightly faster than the QX9650 with regards to apps that are not multi-threaded.

Many processors are slightly faster for apps that are not multithreaded :P

The Core i5-750 performs brilliantly though.

Yeah, it would make an interesting review. $300 isn't quite a "value" processor though -- it's important to understand that LGA 1366 are pretty much all high end processors regardless of what you buy.

Just picked it up today. So far, ~4.3ghz just fine -- without breaking a sweat.

post-2143-126894783862_thumb.jpg

Edited by BWolken
  • Like 1

Not bad! Seriously considering getting an X58 system! What cooler is this with and how are temperatures?

Edited by shift

Temperatures are outstanding. I've been using the Prolimatech Megahalems CPU cooler on all of my i7 setups. It has yet to fail me, and keeps this thing idle in the 30s and loads in the low 60s even when overclocked.

• Like 1

4.3GHZ! That is sickkkk.

:P Post screenshot of your Task Manager with 12 threads.

Edited by TL6MT
  • Like 1

I am out of town this weekend visiting family. All I can think about is being home and messing around with this chip. I'll put up some more screenshots once I have some more time to tweak it.

• Like 1

I am out of town this weekend visiting family. All I can think about is being home and messing around with this chip. I'll put up some more screenshots once I have some more time to tweak it.

Sure take your time, I wouldn't mind seeing some more screenies of this in action.

4.3GHZ! That is sickkkk.

:P Post screenshot of your Task Manager with 12 threads.

Haha the graphs would pretty much be useless at default size.