CrashGordon

CrashGordon's Home Renovation Project

Well after another trip to the tile store, I've changed my choices for the bathrooms. Decided to splurge a little and go with a 1x1 (on 12x12 mesh sheet) honed oriental Carrara White mosaic tumbled marble for the master bath shower floor. :P

For the main floor and shower walls (also going to use these for the main bath floor and tub/shower walls) Boreal Marble Gris ceramic tiles.

Going to go with 1/16 grout lines in a light/med grey.

• Like 2

Yeah, it's a little expensive at $9/sq ft, but I only need to cover about 12 sq ft and I really wanted some kind of natural stone for the shower floor. My original choice of Himalaya White Mosaic Slate wasn't going to be the best for a shower because of the type of stone it is. The ceramic tile has a pretty convincing marble look. Going with these choices it only pushed the price of the project up about $70 so it's not that bad.

• Like 1

:P You sure about those Colors? I'm no interior designer but my house is professional designed (Former Showhome) and it doesn't seem so popular in newer designs. But post pics when done since I've never seen your Bathroom before.
  • Like 1

:P You sure about those Colors? I'm no interior designer but my house is professional designed (Former Showhome) and it doesn't seem so popular in newer designs. But post pics when done since I've never seen your Bathroom before.

Yeah, I've watched a few shows on HGTV/DIY and can't say I like some of their color choices. :wacko: No vessel sinks either, most verge on being useless (like trying to shave), but do look nice. :S Also, we don't want anything that's "trendy", trends fade and I'm pretty sure I don't want to do this again anytime soon or even 10-15 years from now.

Well, white and grey (the colors in Carrara Marble) are neutral colors, so it'd be easy to change the look of the room just by painting the walls/changing other accents of the room. It's a fairly small room so I really don't want to go with anything too dark or it'll feel like a cave. This is a 40 year old house too, if that matters. We're really going for a "classic/simple elegance" look without going over the top, flashy/too fancy just isn't our style. Anything would look better than the hideous tile that's in it now. 4 1/4 square white with gold flecks/spots. It's looong overdue to go. :|

For the kitchen backsplash, the travertine will darken to a golden honey color once sealer is applied to pick up the tones of the wood floor. The Absolute Black Granite will go with the surface of the stove top and provide a good contrast from the cabinets.

Here's the link to my other (completed) projects: http://img707.imageshack.us/g/slidingdoor0187.jpg/ I'll update it with new pics as things progress.

Thanks to whoever made this a new thread. :P

Edited by CrashGordon
  • Like 2

I didn't do the deck (and not real impressed with the workmanship of it either), but it was a insurance replacement while we were renting when a tree took it out, so I didn't have any say about it. Plans are to span the length of the house (about 70-75 ft) with composite decking and move/redesign the stair location and type. I'd like a main deck area about the size of the current one with a one or two step down to the rest of the deck and split the stairs so there's a landing somewhere in the middle of the run instead of a straight run of stairs. That project is quite a ways down the road though.

Edited by CrashGordon
  • Like 1

That kitchen would look so much better with some stainless steel appliances!

Yeah, I am more into darker colors and cleaner texture for modern sophistication and design as well. I'm no interior designer as well, but interestingly my house is also a former showhome.

Stainless steel creates an industrial and professional yet modern design in the kitchen, adding a lot of style but I am not a big fan of them. We used to have them back when I was in Edmonton and they are one heck of a surface to keep clean. Stick would good old black and call it a day.

In the kitchen we'll be keeping the current appliances (we just got them a few years ago). I like the stainless steel, but most are a pain to keep fingerprints at bay. Again, just about anything was better than the original Avacado Green ones :P and those dark cabinets.

• Like 1

Yeah Stainless Steel does lead to those fingerprints, but you're right, it looks modern and more presentable. Yeah, I'm sure anything would be better than Avacado Green haha.

Looking good. I have a Stainless Steel Appliances kitchen, fingerprints, oil, anything gets on it - it's one hell of a place to clean - but that's my wifes problem. :P

• Like 2

Looking good. I have a Stainless Steel Appliances kitchen, fingerprints, oil, anything gets on it - it's one hell of a place to clean - but that's my wifes problem. :wacko:

:P Lol at the last part. So how much word do you do around the house anyways?

Haha. Unfortunately I usually end up doing most of the cleaning too. She kinda rushes through it and doesn't really do a through job, plus I'm pretty picky, so rather than go behind her, I just do myself. :P

• Like 1

At our house, you can barely see the fridge itself because of all the magnets!

I remember back in the days when I had a deck that spanned like 80% of our backyard which extended the entire width of the house. It's actually pretty awesome stuff. :P

I'm back!!

So after a few months planning and all that fun stuff, I got down to the "real" work. Ripped the shower out down to the studs and subfloor and rebuilt it from there. Damn it was a lot of work doing everything from demo to every trade in-between (plumber, carpenter, painter, everything). For my first tile job EVER it came out ok, not quite as perfect as I had hoped and planned but some things you learn as you go despite reading up on it and all that. Took about 3 weeks total

Just waiting for the grout/tile sealer to fully cure and enjoy it on Friday!!!

I put together a slideshow of the process (before to the end):

Master Bath Remod Project Slideshow

• Like 1

That's actually quite amazing, and pretty sweet work you've done there. The old shower looks :x but you pretty much ripped everything out and redone it eh? You actually took the time to actually build the new shower with proper waterproofing/watertighting material... a lot of contractors slack off in that part and end up in a disaster after a few months of constant usage. It looks really nice :P

Thanks for the updates Crash, that looks great! I would definitely hire you to do a job at my house if I ever needed it. You put a lot of effort into it and it really shows in the tiny details. :P

Yeah, the old one was pretty bad, the previous owners had caulked/siliconed over the mold/mildew so there was really no way to clean it. :P Plus the white with gold flecks tile was just butt ugly.

Yep, ripped everything out including the cast iron drain and lead shower pan (taking it to the recycler for proper disposal and get a few bucks too). Did the preslope under the shower pan liner (something a lot of people don't do) with the proper 1/4" drop per foot (for proper drainage) from the outside edges to the drain.

Even for such a small bathroom, it was a ton of work. Three weeks felt more like three months.

• Like 1

Funny you mention home renovations because as we speak our kitchen is being torn apart and new tile, cabinets and counter tops are going to be installed. :P

Edited by shift

Yeah, the old one was pretty bad, the previous owners had caulked/siliconed over the mold/mildew so there was really no way to clean it. :P Plus the white with gold flecks tile was just butt ugly.

Yep, ripped everything out including the cast iron drain and lead shower pan (taking it to the recycler for proper disposal and get a few bucks too). Did the preslope under the shower pan liner (something a lot of people don't do) with the proper 1/4" drop per foot (for proper drainage) from the outside edges to the drain.

Even for such a small bathroom, it was a ton of work. Three weeks felt more like three months.

That's quite an improvement - good job. Did it all yourself? That's mad skills. It's probably the way to go since I'll be redoing part of my house in October.

• Like 2

Yep, did every part of it myself, with only a very small amount of help from the wife.

Now just need to work some more, save some more cash and do the main bath and kitchen countertop and backsplash. Hopefully sometime after the first of the new year and after it warms up some, I imagine using a wet saw in the winter isn't very much fun. haha

The main bath won't be nearly as much work (won't have to build a shower pan and all that fun stuff). Just the main floor area and the tub/shower area.

• Like 1