CrashGordon

CrashGordon's Home Renovation Project

Yep, did every part of it myself, with only a very small amount of help from the wife.

Now just need to work some more, save some more cash and do the main bath and kitchen countertop and backsplash. Hopefully sometime after the first of the new year and after it warms up some, I imagine using a wet saw in the winter isn't very much fun. haha

The main bath won't be nearly as much work (won't have to build a shower pan and all that fun stuff). Just the main floor area and the tub/shower area.

Would that help be in the form of making sandwiches? Jokes aside, sound like you have a grand plan for more renovation. At least the second time around you will spend less time on work and more time enjoying the new reno.

Haha, no she helped hold the cement board until I could get a few screws in it (yeah, there's probably a joke in that :| ).

The whole project was just under $1000 including tools and permits/inspections, mainly because I did ALL the labor myself.

There's certainly plans on a few areas/rooms that have been neglected so far. I just have to do them one at a time because we really have to have a functional house. The kitchen project is going to be a little rough for a few days (3-5) while I do the countertop (no sink and water to that area) but it'll be worth it.

Edited by CrashGordon
  • Like 2

Haha, no she helped hold the cement board until I could get a few screws in it (yeah, there's probably a joke in that :| ).

laugh.gif +1

Good job on the renovations thumbsup.gif

Just to update: Kitchen project has just about come to an end. Just one more weekend to seal the tile & grout. Put the countertops and new sink (black Kohler cast iron) and Delta Arabella faucet in a few weeks ago. Put tile up for the backsplash last weekend, grouted this weekend.

Decided to go with something with a little more character than the original idea of the black granite. Stayed with the tumbled travertine in a diamond pattern, but went with smaller 2x2 (on 12x12 mesh sheets) rather than 4x4's. I thought it fit the space better (of course it was more expensive, about $5 a sq ft more).

As with all the other projects, I did all the labor (when you got the skills (and tools) why pay someone?).

Here's a few teaser pics:

Countertop closeup:

1000604y.jpg

Backsplash:

1000623m.jpg

Edited by CrashGordon

Not a big fan of the counter but I love that sink :P it's very classy - black cast iron FTW!

Yeah man, love my new sink. Wasn't feeling much love for it while lifting it though at about 130 lbs. The countertop isn't that bad, that pic was a fairly extreme close-up of it.

Even though everything has only been in place about a month or less, it's hard to remember what the old looked like. It just looks and feels like it's always been there. Maybe it's because of the tile and it's aged/worn look, but whatever it is, I'm loving it.

Glad to be just about done though. Tile work is pretty much all labor. I guess a lot of that was because I didn't have an assistant I could trust to be as OCD about it as I was. :P

Yeah, not a big fan of the counter either. Should have went with a black marble slate pattern instead :P I do, however, like the sink. Good job (Y)

Edit: Actually, I think it's more of the photo. You took it with a flash close up, right? I think it's a lot darker in the second pic, which looks pretty matching. I like it.

Edited by chconline

Yes the pic was very close up and a flash was used. Under normal lighting it's darker than it appears. When I finish up this weekend and put the other photos up it'll look fine.

Yes the pic was very close up and a flash was used. Under normal lighting it's darker than it appears. When I finish up this weekend and put the other photos up it'll look fine.

:P Oh I totally missed that - can't wait for new pics.

Finished the project today. Here's the pics:

1000633d.jpg

1000634x.jpg

1000635q.jpg

1000636o.jpg

1000640m.jpg

Next I need to replace the microwave, stove and fridge with something other than white. Probably either black or stainless w/black accents.

Haha, I was just about to post about your microwave and stove :P

I would not recommend using stainless steel appliances. I used to have some, and they're a pain to keep clean. Basically, you have to polish them every 2 days, and the moment you touch them, fingerprint marks will get on. Since then I've stuck with black -- it's almost as classy, but without the maintenance.

Oh yeah, I suppose I should've included at least one before pic. :P

It's from a few months ago when I replaced the dishwasher with hidden top controls.

The same stuff was used on both countertop and backsplash, some fake marble looking laminate.

1000552zz.jpg

Edited by CrashGordon

Real marble is really brittle. One hit and you're SOL.

:P Cool hidden controls on the dishwasher. Mine is just front control.

Edited by TL6MT

Yeah I really liked the clean look of no visible controls, just the handle and the vent. Plus inside there is no center spray arm (it actually runs up the back of the tub then to the upper rack). So more room for dishes.

1000553u.jpg

It does have one (sort of). It has the normal one under the lower rack, but also has a channel (darker grey part that is running up the back of the tub)that diverts it up to the spray arms on the bottom of the upper rack. It just gets the water up there a little differently than the old style ones.

It cleans quite well, especially on the upper rack with the two spray arms directly below it. It's also fairly quiet.

Well, it's that time again for more home improvements, the joys of of owning a older home. :P

This time it's replacing the 40+ year old cast iron DWV (Drain/Waste/Vent) pipe with PVC. With the long Easter weekend I'll have the time. I replaced the branch that went to the washing machine/kitchen the other weekend (including new 1/4 turn shutoff valves for the washing machine). During that small project I noticed just how bad the cast iron was. So that moved doing the rest of it up the priorty list. Typical life span of cast iron is 40-50 years, but on the horizontal sections it's closer to 30. It's a little over due.

I did get the 1/4 turn toilet shutoff valves done today, one less thing to do tomorrow. Tomorrow is going to be a full day: Pull both toilets, remove old cast iron, replace with pvc, re-set toilets.

Whole project is only around $250 for materials, if I had to pay someone to do the work, you could easily add a few grand to that. I was a licensed plumber back in my younger days, so I know what they cost. It's a crappy job (pun intended) and they charge for it.

Project done!!

Little slideshow of before and after: http://img191.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img191/4794/1364752929st1.smil

Toilets, sinks and showers/tub drain MUCH better now. Used 4", 3" & 2" pipe and fittings. 4" on toilets and main trunks, 3" on the sinks/vents and 2" on shower/tub. Pretty much how it was before.

Everything passed the leak test and insulation is back in place. That was one project I'm glad to be finished with. Took about 1 1/2 days with only a little help from the wife.

PS: Happy Easter everyone!

Haha, yeah. Nah, it's the sizes that were there, but over 40+ years of use, most of the pipes were a lot smaller inside because of the build up of..um.. stuff. :P