CrashGordon

CrashGordon's Home Renovation Project

I get buff enough from my real job. :lol: It's finished!!! Only about a hour later than I had planed although I did take a lunch break. I'll get the pics off the camera and get them uploaded either later this evening or tomorrow, but right now all I want to do is sit here and have a few beers. :yes:

Ok I went ahead and uploaded the pics:

Here's the monster that ate through the driveway like it was butter

VpFapKvl.jpg

JBwmMSfl.jpg

zODvDYGl.jpg

aVaOxTQl.jpg

W0yvgbbl.jpg

EPixxw5l.jpg

DW6O20bl.jpg

PwTYlFTl.jpg

dIQGpJVl.jpg

F6WDDV1l.jpg

Fits like a glove: (there's about a 1/16th of a inch on each side just so I didn't have to fight with it)

4woRpKml.jpg

rE1C5ftl.jpg

bPVSSAml.jpg

PhftQuil.jpg

Edited by CrashGordon

Wow! That looks totally professional - I would have just paid someone lol.

Thanks man. I just hate to pay someone when I'm able to do it, sure the digging (and backfilling) the trench sucked but it wasn't that bad. Had I paid someone to do it, the $400 project (including the saw rental) would've been in the 1000-1200 range. For a few hours every evening for 4 days and one whole Saturday (plus 1 hour on Sunday putting silicone in the gap between the drain and edge), it was worth the savings. :)

I do enjoy doing it for the most part. Getting professional results and being able to say "I did that myself" is a bonus.

It looks like its working well too, it's rained a few times since installation and no water has made it past the drain. (Y)

So now I can chill until the early fall when I start the lawn project. :lol:

Edited by CrashGordon

If I was in Florida, I'm a little farther north though. :P

Well, looks like a unplanned project for this weekend. We had some gusty winds the other day and heard a loud THUD on the roof. It was dark so not much use looking out the window. The next morning I look out and don't see anything laying in the yard and was hoping the limb was just laying on the roof. I walk out into the yard and turn around to find this:

oy4PJ8El.jpg

Well... that's just great (not the exact words I used, but we'll keep it PG rated) :D

So I climb on the roof to get a better look:

IGGNrcjl.jpg

32adrJpl.jpg

2hTvoQDl.jpg

So it looks like I'll be removing some shingles & replacing a piece of the plywood decking, roof felt and a few new shingles. It shouldn't be too bad though, only need to do about a 4'x4' area. Not really how I wanted to spend my Saturday, but I'll save about 400 bucks and that's worth it to me. I'll throw the camera in the tool bag and try to remember to stop and take some pics. :)

Well, it could've been worse and I guess this is payback for the new bass I got the other weekend. It happened near the corner and it's over the front porch area. Had it been any other location (like in the middle of the roof) I would've gladly paid someone else to deal with it. Just waiting for it to warm up a little.

Yup.

Well.... Good news and bad news. Good news is that it's fixed and can't tell I did anything. The bad news is I forgot the camera. :blushing: I meant to throw it in the tool bag this morning but forgot, then the few times I did think about it I was already back on the roof. :lol:

It wasn't anything too exciting anyways. Gently getting the flat bar under the shingles and popping the nails up in a large enough area needed and stacking them out of the way, Cutting the existing paper & removing the damaged plywood. Then it was basically the same way (but reverse order), Cut plywood & cover the hole, run two rows of felt paper (making sure to have a 6"-8" over/under lap). Then just nail the shingles back in place with a dab of roof cement (tar) in the old nail holes and to help stick the shingles back down.

Anyways, I ended up having to remove (and replace) a 4'x6' piece of plywood and 3 shingles ( I had to remove about 25-ish shingles in all) and some felt paper. It wasn't that bad though. From the first trip up to the last time down the ladder was 4.5 Hours including the break to Home Depot. Then about 1.5-2 hours putting tools away and cleaning up (while having a Guinness or two).

The reason I had to go another 2 feet was because of the slackers that put this roof on just laid the new shingles over a prior tree attack and didn't bother to replace the decking, but I was already there so might as well take care of it.

It was a nice day to be on the roof though, Mostly sunny & 62f with a very light occasional breeze.

Wait, I did get one pic, but it's of the "job done well" beer. :P

x9VmVxol.jpg

I'll try and do better next time. ;)

PS: there's a history behind that Watneys beer mug and how I acquired it. It involved my 23'rd birthday, Taco Mac, Tattletales (yeah the same one mentioned in the Motley Crue song Girls, Girls, Girls) and some other bar/club, but that's a subject for another thread and I'm not sure I want to share. :lol:

So it's been a few years since any major projects, but I finally finished with my to-do list before the New Year. Doors, floors and paint. Replaced all interior doors, two exterior doors and hardware. Closet Maid shelves. New carpet and memory foam pad (the only part I didn't do because install was included), Solid stranded bamboo flooring in kitchen and downstairs and paint, even replaced all the vent/register covers. It took a few months, but it was a one man show. It's like a whole new house, on the inside anyways. :P

https://imgur.com/a/22Dae

Wow, looks great. DIY really gives you the satisfaction eh? You can also choose the quality of products you want underneath (Y)

It turned out pretty well, so much so that a couple of friends want help with their projects. Yes, when DIY-ing you can spend more on nicer, higher end materials because of saving on the labor (which is generally about 2/3 of the total cost). Then there's that satisfaction thing. :)

On 2/26/2018 at 7:40 AM, CrashGordon said:

It turned out pretty well, so much so that a couple of friends want help with their projects. Yes, when DIY-ing you can spend more on nicer, higher end materials because of saving on the labor (which is generally about 2/3 of the total cost). Then there's that satisfaction thing. :)

I hope they pay you well :P

Oh yeah, even with the friends & family discount it's not free labor. :lol:

Thanks BB, yes especially when you can save some cash on it too.

I think you may have changed every part of the house other than the frame at this time.