Sign in to follow this  
Agent47

Lenovo ThinkPad T410

This is why I hate APH Networks...

15hfvc6.jpg

+

Crucial CT25664BC1067 2GB 1X2GB PC3-8500 DDR3-1066 (~$70 After Taxes)

+

Hitachi Travelstar 7K500 500GB 7200RPM 16MB 2.5IN SATA2 Notebook Hard Drive (~85 After Taxes)

Just ordered it.

Total Cost = ~$1146 or Previous Desktop Setup + $300

Hope it's worth it :P :P :P

• Like 2

I don't think you'll be disappointed :P

Agreed, that extra $300 you spend is worth it just for the future proofing. Like chc said the T series is just much better than the G series.

Good choice on the laptop. You won't be disappointed. :P

I've been spreading the Thinkpad gospel since last year, 3 conversions since April. :P

Good choice on the laptop. You won't be disappointed. :P

I've been spreading the Thinkpad gospel since last year, 3 conversions since April. :P

Good to hear you are spreading the "Good news", how many converts will you have in a years time? ten? fifteen? twenty? :P

In Canada, basically yes. From my experience all my friend's as well as my own ThinkPad took exactly two weeks to arrive from ordering date, but being in Calgary may be a bit different than in other provinces.

Congrats on your new Laptop another Lenovo convert by the chc!

A ThinkPad T-series convert. Not like any other run of the mill laptop. :P

Your package is on time with a scheduled delivery date of 20/07/2010. (Y)

EDIT: Page refresh ftl

Rescheduled Delivery Date:21/07/2010

Edited by Agent47
  • Like 1

chc should just go around knocking on people's door spreading the Thinkpad awesomeness.

UPS surprised me with a visit of an unhappy truck driver delivering my ThinkPad at 5 PM today :)

Haven't really had time to play with it yet, just upgraded the stock stuff with the third part parts I had bought. I won't see it untill around 6PM tomorrow, then you may get your pics (Y)

Quick Pros/Cons after ~2 hours of use

+ Built as advertised

+ Battery seems to be good, but it has been jumping around alot, we'll see. Pro for now.

+ Resoloution surprisly seems very suffcient

+ Keyboard is quiet

+ The volume controls! Stays on mute even after rebooting, love this small "feature

+ Intel, Win 7, Lenovo Enhanced stickers come off easy :P

- Although bright, the screen is really lacking color, viewing angles aren't terrible, but there not good

- QUICK access panel is quick to take off, NOT to put back on!

- Needed a clamp type tool for some screws on the HDD caddy, insanely tight

All minor issues, I am happy with it this far, but I really have barely used it. I wish I had Firefox installed, IE's lack of spell check is killing me... and it's 1:30 AM.

Did a clean install of my own Win 7 Ultimate x64. Almost have all the drivers installed, not sure if I want the ThinkVantage suite. I'll definitly grab the Power Manager, not sure if I want any of the other ones.

• Like 2

Just remember the little trick of battery maintenance... drain it down, give it an hour's rest or so, and then fully charge it. After that make attempts to keep it above 40-60% charge (Avoid fully draining it often) other than calibration runs every half a year or so.

Use the Windows 7 monitor calibration tool and adjust the gamma a bit.

Monitor calibration helped a little bit. I bookmarked a guide on improving the display before I bought it, I'll do it once I install Firefox and Xmarks.

As for the battery, I thought the goal was to only charge when needed, to expand the life span. I plan to set the minimum battery life at 30%, maximum at 85-90%.

I'm having real trouble with the touchpad. It will become completely unresponsive for ~20 seconds. I read that others have had success in uninstalling the Lenovo driver and installing a Synaptics driver.

I'm loving Wireless N. 117mbps in my house, versus the 54mbps I was getting previously.

Still working on the pictures. May come tomorrow.

Edited by Agent47
  • Like 2

Just remember the little trick of battery maintenance... drain it down, give it an hour's rest or so, and then fully charge it. After that make attempts to keep it above 40-60% charge (Avoid fully draining it often) other than calibration runs every half a year or so.

Use the Windows 7 monitor calibration tool and adjust the gamma a bit.

Yep good tips - the chc has been managing excellent battery performance for however long he has his T400. 9-cell is worth the money - I wish the company bought us Thinkpads.

• Like 2

I'm having real trouble with the touchpad. It will become completely unresponsive for ~20 seconds. I read that others have had success in uninstalling the Lenovo driver and installing a Synaptics driver.

I'm loving Wireless N. 117mbps in my house, versus the 54mbps I was getting previously.

That should be the right approach. I tend to avoid drivers provided on Lenovo's website as well.

Have you tested actual wireless throughput? What router are you using?

That should be the right approach. I tend to avoid drivers provided on Lenovo's website as well.

Have you tested actual wireless throughput? What router are you using?

The change of drivers helped, though I'm beginning to realize that a number of these freeze ups can be attributed to my lack of familiarity with multi-touch touchpads, resizing the page by accident, zooming in 200% etc. :P

I'm using a DIR-628 in mixed n/g for compatibility with every other device in the house. 2.4GHZ because of that as well. When downloading files I've seen the wireless speeds go as high as ~725kb/s with my 5mbps connection.

I can't seem to figure out my two missing drivers in device manager

14tws35.png

Any ideas?

Here is the only picture I was able to take before the cheap AAs in my cheap DSC-W5 expired (Y)

33xhd0j.jpg

• Like 1

That should be the Intel AMT 4.0 Management Engine Interface and Serial Over LAN drivers. I've had the same problem with my T400; once you get the AMT drivers in, you should have no problems at all. (Y)

That should be the Intel AMT 4.0 Management Engine Interface and Serial Over LAN drivers. I've had the same problem with my T400; once you get the AMT drivers in, you should have no problems at all. :P

Solved (Y)

• Like 1