Sign in to follow this  
Agent47

Lenovo ThinkPad T410

(Y) Congrats - nice laptop. Definitely one of my favorites. Another chc remedied problem!
  • Like 1

I think I jinxed the battery life, hopefully it's an easy fix.

2 Days ago Windows reported over 6 hours of available battery life when charged to ~97% (approx. 6 1/2 hours). Beginning yesterday it only reports 5 hours and 10 minutes when charged to the same percentage.

My power plan

25572h2.png

Any ideas before I call into Lenovo?

Edited by Agent47
  • Like 1

Did you calibrate the battery initially? Expand those to see your power settings :P

I calibrated the battery a few days ago, but after calibration it was still showing 6 hours plus. I know I can change the power settings by clicking on the arrows/expanding, I just wanted to show it's not using power-hungry settings. Apparently there are people getting ~8 hours with a similar config :P

• Like 1

I can idle up to 9 hours on max brightness with my T400... (6-7 hours under casual load with WiFi on full) what is your power consumption in power manager?

I can idle up to 9 hours on max brightness with my T400... (6-7 hours under casual load with WiFi on full) what is your power consumption in power manager?

Yup, I meant 8 hours + with WiFi.

My power consumption is at a surprisingly high at 20-21 watts. I have no idea why. I've got unused parts disabled such as SD reader, Ethernet port, CD drive, and Firewire.

• Like 1

Did you install the Lenovo System Interface Driver etc? It's best these things are installed in a specific order. Mine does 11W on idle with max brightness and WiFi.

Did you install the Lenovo System Interface Driver etc? It's best these things are installed in a specific order. Mine does 11W on idle with max brightness and WiFi.

Yup. I installed all the drivers from the download page at Lenovo where it asks you for your model, type, etc.

The drivers need to be installed in a specific order? I was getting ~7 hours when I first got it, but apparently I could even squeeze another hour and a half out of that. Do I need to format again and do another re-install?

Could it be the battery firmware? I don't think I noticed lack of battery life after I updated it, but that's the only logical thing I can think that would have caused it.

• Like 1

Try reinstalling the drivers - then create your own power plan. Is your Dedicated graphics on?

• Like 1

Try reinstalling the drivers - then create your own power plan. Is your Dedicated graphics on?

Just re-installed every driver, and created a new power plan and still only reporting 5 hours and 8 minutes on 89% charge. Basic Mode in Power Manager reports 17 Watts being used when idle with Battery Stretch disabling the optical drive.

I really do not want to format and do another fresh install, especially with no guarantee it will be then fixed.

• Like 1

Still can't find a solution for this :realmad:

Also, in my post above I forgot to mention I have integrated graphics, not dedicated.

When I get home tonight I'm going to boot from my Ubuntu install on my external hard drive to see if it reports a higher battery life. If so, I'll know it's a software problem and do a clean install. If not, I guess I'll have to go without a computer for a week or so and send it in to Lenovo.

Edited by Agent47
  • Like 1

I just reinstalled Windows 7 on my T400 yesterday morning since my Hitachi hard drive died on me. As far as the order of drivers are installed, I went chipset (Which includes graphics), power management driver, power manager, then the rest of the drivers. Restarted after each installation as well.

You probably won't need to go a week without a laptop if it's an easy fix. When I sent my T400 back for warranty work to get the LCD replaced, it only took 3 days including transit time.