Sign in to follow this  
chconline

2011 Canadian Election?

Looks like the opposition party is ganging up against the federal budget and trying to force another election in Canada this May. (The main story)

The way I see it, I think Stephen Harper's government is also trying to provoke an election by deliberately not appeasing the opposition party in the budget, and knowing the Liberals and NDP who will oppose it and deny the budget, force an election right now. Since the Conservatives have the upper hand in opinion polls right now, they might actually have a chance in gaining a majority government this time around, so I think they actually WANTED the election, but putting the blame on the other parties for making it happen. Quite a sly move IMO :P

But yes, I'll be voting Conservative again. Seriously though, we've been voting like crazy in the past few years. 2006, 2008, and 2011. :|

Ya, kind of stupid T.T The economy doesn't want and doesn't need an election right now. But hopefully we can have a full stable national government this time around. Don't want a stupid coalition again.

Conservatives for me.

Yep, Conservatives for me also. My results show I'm a bit more of a Libralist, but I'm still going for Conservatives FTW all the way!

post-2375-0-65583600-1301256955_thumb.png

LOL doesn't that represent the Conservatives as a fascist government?

Still, I'd vote Conservatives any day.

Edited by aeroLai

Meh, whatever haha. I think the Conservatives have done a fine job in the past few years, even being a minority government. There's no way I am going to vote for Igneteiff anyway.

Oh ahaha for sure. Ignatieff just seems to criticize everything that happens. He has never proven that he has an actual viable plan for the country. And obviously the way the voting has been going (even if not majority), people don't see any reason for change.

Haha, I'm not much of a Harper fan. I'm more of a Opposition hater :P but it doesn't really matter who leads the conservatives; I'll still vote for them. As long your on the west side of Canada, you'll find a crazy majority of conservative supporters haha

You guys only get 2 terms though, and fixed 4 year elections. Here in Canada we don't vote directly for our leader; we vote for their party and the party with the most seats win. Their leader becomes the Prime Minister. They can go for as many terms as they like (Maximum before election each term is 5 years I believe), but they can fire up an election whenever they feel like it.

Not sure why the Liberals + NDP would want an election now though considering the Conservative are actually ahead in the approval ratings.

Not to mention anyone in Western Canada would vote Conservatives.

Yeah, the fact that this election is happening is kind of sad. Doesn't make much sense to me, not like their parties are going to gain much ground.

Well election day tomorrow.

I've been following this quite closely and even I was surprised the NDP has gained such high support in the past few weeks following the leader's debate. I bet Harper didn't see that coming, and the chances of a Conservative majority is getting slimmer by the minute. Not saying Conservative is going to make an absolutely brilliant government, but in my opinion it's probably the best way to go.

For one thing the Quebec NDP support is absolutely mindblowing. They're 2x ahead of Bloc Quebecois and I think that is surprising and ridiculous at the same time -- I mean Quebec people voting for anything other than themselves? I know Duceppe and his party hasn't changed its platform much in the past 15 years or whatever but their NDP/BQ/Liberal/Conservative support (In that order) is quite the inverse of what most Canadians are thinking.

On the other hand, Liberals (And Ignatieff) is really falling behind and getting owned by NDP. NDP's platform is getting closer to the Liberals but they're pretty much just getting all their votes stolen. Ignatieff is not really likeable either, everytime he's on TV he sounds really ticked off, presents himself in a sarcastic manner in conjunction with a "I am better than you, so vote for me and I will tell you what you need" kind of deal. It's funny how he has such a lack of support, but it's absolutely understandable.

I guess we'll have another Conservative minority in the making with NDP as official opposition. I'm going to the polls tomorrow and voting Conservative but this is Alberta and my vote will only make it more of a landslide than anything. :P

Communist party of Canada for me. Oops. I mean Conservatives :thumbsup: I know several Albertans voting for NDP, and all cases seem like it's out of peer pressure or the need to do something different... seems kind of sad. I don't want another coalition :no:

Yeah it's kind of sad. NDP says a lot of good stuff, but I don't think they've worked well in practice, at least from what we've seen on the provincial level.

The funniest thing is Ignatieff on TV. He's pretty much saying, "I won't win the election but please don't fire me from my job :( " :lol:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadavotes2011/story/2011/05/01/cv-election-liberal-ajax.html

Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff says he would like to stay on as leader regardless of the outcome of Monday's federal election.

"This is a democratic party," he said Sunday during a campaign event in Ajax, Ont. "I'm committing to stay, I'm committing to work, I'm committing to fight — and I'm here to win on the 2nd of May."

When pressed by reporters to say whether or not he was committing to stay on as leader, he said "yes," but added the final decision on leadership rests with the party.

"My fate is not just in my hands. Hey folks, it's in the hands of millions of Canadian voters out there. And this election is not over," Ignatieff told supporters.

Yeah it's kind of sad. NDP says a lot of good stuff, but I don't think they've worked well in practice, at least from what we've seen on the provincial level.

The funniest thing is Ignatieff on TV. He's pretty much saying, "I won't win the election but please don't fire me from my job :( " :lol:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadavotes2011/story/2011/05/01/cv-election-liberal-ajax.html

Lol, I don't think Ignatieff is going to win his riding either at this rate.

So it looks like a Conservative majority with NDP in second. Lol the Liberals got owned, who asked for an election again? The Bloq also lost a lot of ground and their leader got booted from their riding. In addition, they also lost party status, haha. Also looks like the Green got 1 seat where the leader is, although they are just leading right now.

Edited by shc-boomer

NICE

Conservatives are winning... looks like majority. Friends were over this morning and we were totally celebrating this when we heard this news :D

NDP totally pwned Liberals and Bloc Quebecois is by far the biggest loser. Watching the Ignatieff loser speech was pretty funny, but I think Jack Layton and his team has plenty to celebrate. I bet Stephen Harper got really scared but the results turned out well for him :D

Wait let me get this straight -

What the **** is the Bloc Quebecois? Are they only in Quebec? WTF do they do in your national election?

How do these ridings thing work? Aren't you voting for your prime minister? and he's in Calgary Southwest from what I've read? So only people in Calgary SW can vote for him or what if he lost?

And how many times can you run an election and elect the same guy over again?

Crazy Canadian politics!

What the **** is the Bloc Quebecois? Are they only in Quebec? WTF do they do in your national election?

How do these ridings thing work? Aren't you voting for your prime minister? and he's in Calgary Southwest from what I've read? So only people in Calgary SW can vote for him or what if he lost?

Crazy Canadian politics!

This article puts it in simpler terms for you, TL6MT of how Canadian politics work:http://canadaonline....ralelection.htm Basically, there are 19 parties running for the federal government, and that leader will become the Prime Minister. Currently, only 5 of those won and are holding seats in the House of Commons (Progressive Conservative Party, Liberal Party, New Democratic Party, Bloc Quebecois, Green Party). Now looking at Canada, imagine it being divided into 308 little sections called electoral districts, or formally called ridings. Each riding is represented by a member of parliament (MP, no NOT mana points that you use in World of Warcraft), one from each party. Now each MP is trying to win the most votes in that riding in order to win a seat in the House of Commons. The more seats a party has, the better. Stephen Harper, which so happens to be the Prime Minister at the moment, represents the SW Calgary riding. Elizabeth May, leader of the Green Party, represents some riding in BC, and the list goes on.

So more means better right? Well, if you want a majority government, you will need to hold 155 or more seats of the 308 seats. Anything less than that, your party will be considered a minority government. Yes, the leader with the most seats will be the Prime Minister, despite whether they have a majority or a minority. However, the minority party in power has to work extra hard to satisfy everyone else, or they might get booted because the other parties can easily decide on a vote of non-confidence to bring them down. The party who gets the second most seats will the the Official Opposition. In the case of a minority government, the Official Opposition may also decide to team up with other parties to overtake the minority government. This would then form a coalition, in which the leader of the Official Opposition will become Prime Minister.

Now for the Bloc Québécois, I myself don't know very much about them, nor am I interested to know, so here is a Wiki article about them:

http://en.wikipedia....3%A9b%C3%A9cois

Edited by prestonyuen

Crazy Canadian politics!

As Preston explained -- but to add to that:

1. Bloc Quebecois is a bunch of people who only care about the interests of their own province (As well as separating it from Canada, but still want our money for some reason). What do they have to do with the federal election? Nothing, because no one other than Quebec people would vote them, and for some reason they believe they are special. I'm glad that party finally collapsed.

2. We don't vote for our Prime Minister directly like you vote for your President (There's some political term for this stuff, but I am not too familiar with). Ridings are parts of the country (With relation to the amount of people) the MP represent. Each one has to be elected into the parliament, so normally the leader of the party choose the one where their party support is the highest, and they normally win. (However Ignatieff, leader of Liberals, and Duceppe, leader of BQ, lost their own ridings.) The party with the most seats is the ruling party with its leader as the PM. In the rare case where they lose their own riding, which has happened before, they just sit them in some other place and get them back in by a federal by-election.

3. Yes you can vote for the same guy over and over again and they can have elections whenever they want. Maximum is 5 years, but usually we get an election sometime in the 4th when the timing is right.

lol here in USA red = GOP blue = Democrat. :P You guys have your colors the other way around.

:lol: looking at your Election maps looks like the amount of Conservative support is like Texas and Republicans.