Sign in to follow this  
chconline

Earth Hour 2011

Anyone of you reduced power consumption?

Like all the proud Calgarians apparently we don't give a crap :P

http://www.calgaryherald.com/technology/Calgarians+choose+ignore+Earth+Hour+again/4510741/story.html

t looks like Calgarians turned off Earth Hour by leaving their power switched on.

Utility provider Enmax reported no noticeable drop in power consumption between 8: 30 p.m. and 9: 30 p.m. Saturday, when residents were asked to participate in Earth Hour by shutting off all nonessential power.

The Calgary skyline darkened noticeably for Earth Hour, with the Bow tower and other landmarks shutting off their lights. But overall, the gestures had little effect.

"This year, (the reduction) was so minuscule that it couldn't even be attributed to that particular event," Enmax spokeswoman Doris Kaufmann said.

Last year, Calgary registered a small drop in power use - albeit bigger than this year's: half a per cent.

Add Calgary's latest lacklustre result to its Earth Hour track record that included an increase in power consumption in 2008.

Some blamed the 2.1 per cent bump that year on a hockey game between the Flames and rival Oilers; others said the reason was a cold snap.

People around the world were asked to turn off all non-essential power sources starting at 8:30 p.m. local time in a campaign designed to raise public awareness about the importance of power conservation.

ROFL! I saw the earth hour icon/image on the google homepage and I was like, "meh". Wow, we just don't give a crap. :lol:

I turned on all my lights and computers and redlined my TL during earth hour. That was so much fun.

• Like 3

LOL wow guys...

But yeah I totally forgot about it. Even if I did, I wouldn't care. It's not like lowering electricity usage would make a difference with our coal power plants anyway, they'll need to keep running hot to generate all the electricity one hour later. This whole Earth Hour thing is just a waste of time.

Well, I think the whole point is to raise awareness. And if a city does lower their power usage for that hour, it goes to say that people are willing to do things in the name of sustainability and that they care. Even if it actually makes no difference.

Awareness is the first step :thumbsup: but then again, I still do my part on recycling and reusing (probably cause I'm cheap like most azns :P ) and since a hockey game was going on at the time of earth hour, I don't think most people in Calgary would have lowered their power.

It would make no difference for me, my computer would have still been on and staring at a bright screen in a pitch black setting probably was not a good idea.

Realistically I don't think turning off your lights will even make a significant difference. If you want to reduce power usage, talk to the big users.

:lol: Yeah I turned off all my Lights - only because I was out at the Track with my Camaro.

:lol:

8MPG FTW!