Sign in to follow this  
chconline

Jack Layton dead at 61

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1042988--jack-layton-dead-at-61?bn=1

OTTAWA–Jack Layton, the New Democratic Party leader who led his party to Official Opposition status in this year’s federal election, has died after a battle with cancer. He was 61.

“Your support and well wishes are so appreciated. Thank you,” Layton, posted to the social media site Twitter in July after announcing he was battling a new form of cancer. “I will fight this and beat it.”

It ended up being the last public announcement he would make in his long political career, which saw him evolve from campus activist to rabble-rousing left-wing municipal councilor to the most electorally successful leader of the federal New Democrats in history.

Layton had been on a leave of absence as party leader since July 25, when he temporarily stepped aside to fight a second — and evidently much more serious — bout of cancer.

Not a NDP supporter, but he was absolutely brilliant in NDP since 2003, and he sure will be missed. I still remember hearing his name on the radio all the time when he first took leadership on NDP when I was in Junior High. It's probably hard for the party to find someone as good as him.

Sad to see him go, he definitely did a very good job in the NDP. Can't say I supported everything he said but he was definitely the best the NDP has had and probably will have been for years to come.

Sad to see him go, he definitely did a very good job in the NDP. Can't say I supported everything he said but he was definitely the best the NDP has had and probably will have been for years to come.

Agreed. Not a supporter of the NDP, but kudos to him for bringing energy into something as mundane as politics. I really don't know where the NDP will go as of now, especially without a leader as dynamic as him. Thoughts go out to his family.

• Like 2

Not too much of a NDP supporter myself either, but I would have voted for him if he was leading the Conservatives, in my opinion. Props to him for his great efforts, however.

:P Just a bit off Topic, but didn't you guys all vote the other guy?

PM Mr. Stephen Harper? Yep. But that doesn't mean we're haters of the the leaders of the opposition parties.

Yeah most of us voted Conservatives (Obviously in Alberta :P ), but Jack Layton does a fine job in the balance of power thing.