Sign in to follow this  
chconline

Almost trashed my car this morning

So this morning I was driving to church, and being a little too confident in my winter driving skills (And a little too much faith in my Continental ExtremeContact DWS in -17c weather and a good layer of ice) I spun out and almost hit the pole. Actually I was sliding sideways, and this is how close I was at destroying my left fender and possibly cause more damage:

40679026833243955451029.jpg

Well the thing is, I've went over the curb (Steering wheel is pointed all the way left, so I didn't slide over it perpendicular to the curb). Also, there was so much snow on the ground, it actually went over the curb very smoothly, and I didn't hear any banging or hitting noises. I've also checked the car visually and I didn't see any damage.

However, the steering wheel vibrates at 85km/h or higher. I posted on a couple of other forums, and they've suggested to take a look at the snow buildup inside the wheels before doing a tire rebalance or alignment.

Last time I had a similar issue, there was a lot of snow in the wheel wells, so I cleared it and it fixed the issue. I tried it this time as well, but I totally did not look in the rim. Well, this is what it looked like:

img0005wf.jpg

(Notice the snow buildup in the wheel well again)

Well I cleaned out both front wheels, and as it turns out, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the car. Neither skill nor luck would have gotten me away from this... so thank God (Y)

Glad you're alright and that your car is fine too (that sure was a close call!) :)

Edited by ZLS
  • Like 1

:P Glad to hear you're ok. I've driven in the snow like twice so I would imagine it's pretty damn messed up. Edited by TL6MT
  • Like 1

Snow is always fun to drive on. But it can be quite dangerous, especially when you slide out of control. Glad you and your car is alright.

At -30 for the last few days, it's like driving on frozen rubber :P Actually the DWS performs just fine in the snow, it's the ice/epic cold that kills it.

To quote a Michelin engineer snow traction is 2/3 tread and 1/3 compound. Ice traction is 1/3 tread and 2/3 compound.