CrashGordon

CrashGordon's Bass Setup

Just note that it doesn't replace your audio driver or has any effect on games or just playing mp3s. It's only active when using apps like Cubase/FL Studio/Reason/Ableton. It doesn't look like it works with Audacity.

Since someone brought it up... I've never used this before. Can you just use it for monitoring using a Realtek sound card for microphone or something? (Ie., monitoring microphone.) I have an ASIO sound card in my main PC, but my media center PC runs off integrated sound.

I'm trying out a new recording program instead of Ableton called Reaper just to see what it can do. I actually like it better and seems to be a little easier to use. As a test I decided to do Metallica's cover of the Misfits tune Last Caress. One of the bands I was in back in my youth played this. The drummers mom used to like it until she figured out the lyrics. :lol: So I'll say it's probably NSFW. Remember folks. it's just a song and shouldn't be taken seriously.

http://youtu.be/miCqLrw7dcQ

Edited by CrashGordon

Oh man, you need to blast this over the planes intercom. :P

On a serious note: What did you think of the sound mix? Better/worse than the previous ones (my playing & the original track)?

Can't tell the difference... but I listened to it today on my work PC through some POS speakers (office doors closed). :P

Edited by TL6MT

TL6MT, on 13 Dec 2013 - 4:53 PM, said:TL6MT, on 13 Dec 2013 - 4:53 PM, said:TL6MT, on 13 Dec 2013 - 4:53 PM, said:TL6MT, on 13 Dec 2013 - 4:53 PM, said:TL6MT, on 13 Dec 2013 - 4:53 PM, said:TL6MT, on 13 Dec 2013 - 4:53 PM, said:TL6MT, on 13 Dec 2013 - 4:53 PM, said:

Woot :D

:lol: We should jam sometime.

Put yourself out there dude, I'm no badass by far, but I think I can hold my own.(some of my early vids are barely passible, by my standards) Even if you do a over the shoulder cam shot (to hide behind). Show me you can pound those skins.

Hey how 'bout this, I'm working on Sweet Emotion by Aerosmith from the 2 CD Aerosmith - The Essential Aerosmith, shoot me a drum track, I'll do my bass track and I'll mix it and let you check it

EDIT: I wanna jam with this 7 year old, I'll bring the Capri Sun juice boxes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1qg9myFCqw

AS a drummer you might want to curl up in the corner, Boston - Smokin' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yenHEEiC2g8

Vinnie Paul watch out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuVdXtal91c

If that wasn't enough, here's a little Scott Travis: Judas Priest - Painkiller by a 7 year old: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqSx8kfwtpM

Just a little bonus for you Canadians: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR_x_vrSZBM

I'm far from Geddy Lee though.

Edited by CrashGordon

:lol: Lol would love to do it if I'm not so busy. You can't jam while in the office.

Surely you can spare a hour or two on the weekends. You may have some time though, I've done something to my left thumb (fretting hand) and it has limited my playing time. Some songs doesn't bother it, but others (like Sweet Emotion) sends a sharp burning feeling through my palm to thumb after a couple of runs through it.

Sorry about the lack of updates, but been busy with other stuff. Still make room for playing but haven't recorded any videos lately. I should have a couple of tunes (Stone In Love and Separate Ways) by Journey ready fairly soon. Wasn't really a fan of them back in the day, but after closer inspection Ross Valory had some skills and a killer tone. Tunes aren't too technical but have a killer groove, just some good old "radio rock".

Also looking for another bass. I'd love to have a Fender Aerodyne, Roger Waters Sig or a Steve Harris Sig but that isn't gonna happen (according to the wife). So I've been looking at Fenders budget line Squier and really wanting to check out the VM (Vintage Modified) Precision with P/J pickup config in Lake Placid Blue. Only issue with that is that I will probably want to swap out the stock pups with a EMG Geezer Butler P/J set or some Seymour Duncan Steve Harris SPB-4 + Hot Stack Jazz STK-J2B in it which will add 150-200 bucks to it, but she doesn't need to know that up front. :ninja:

Edited by CrashGordon

Well it's a NBD (New Bass Day). I went to Guitar Center to just check one out in person and they had a used (but looked brand new) candy apple red one. Got it for about half price, it was just too good to pass up so I brought it home. :)

CVYVKUOl.jpg

F34jwS1l.jpg

YBKnW71l.jpg

It plays nice for a budget bass, the output isn't as hot as my Jackson but that's to be expected with passive electronics

I think I'm going to go with the EMG Geezer sig pickups so I should be close to the original price of 300 bucks for the bass.

EDIT: Ordered the EMG set, should be here in about a week.

Edited by CrashGordon

Thanks

Sure, basic things to look for on stringed ones (guitar/bass). First thing to do is check the neck Look straight down it from the bridge and see if it has a twist (it should not) and it should have a slight forward bow to it from the tension of the strings, but it shouldn't look like something you could use to shoot a arrow with. Plug it in to check the controls/electronics and see how it feels/plays. You don't want the strings a mile high off the fretboard either. Basically you don't want the neck to resemble the cheap 2x4's at home depot. Sure there are replacement necks but it's an added expense and hassle.

Also a quick & easy way to check the neck is to:

1) Hold down the E string on first fret with your left hand.
2) Hold down same string on last fret with your right hand.
3) Hold the bass up, so you're looking at the "top" side of the neck, across the fretboard, level with your eyes, halfway between the two frets you're holding (approx 9th to 10th fret).

If there is more than a credit-card's gap between the string and the fret at this center point...you need to see the neck adjusted before you buy. A 1/2 turn of the truss rod nut should be more than enough to bring the neck into perfect flatness. If they won't/can't do that, I'd take my money elsewhere.

Edited by CrashGordon

Thanks

Sure, basic things to look for on stringed ones (guitar/bass). First thing to do is check the neck Look straight down it from the bridge and see if it has a twist (it should not) and it should have a slight forward bow to it from the tension of the strings, but it shouldn't look like something you could use to shoot a arrow with. Plug it in to check the controls/electronics and see how it feels/plays. You don't want the strings a mile high off the fretboard either. Basically you don't want the neck to resemble the cheap 2x4's at home depot. Sure there are replacement necks but it's an added expense and hassle.

Also a quick & easy way to check the neck is to:

1) Hold down the E string on first fret with your left hand.

2) Hold down same string on last fret with your right hand.

3) Hold the bass up, so you're looking at the "top" side of the neck, across the fretboard, level with your eyes, halfway between the two frets you're holding (approx 9th to 10th fret).

If there is more than a credit-card's gap between the string and the fret at this center point...you need to see the neck adjusted before you buy. A 1/2 turn of the truss rod nut should be more than enough to bring the neck into perfect flatness. If they won't/can't do that, I'd take my money elsewhere.

Wow, that's pretty detailed advice :yes:(Y)