Sign in to follow this  
CrashGordon

I've had it with the Robo Calls

I'm sure everyone has had one of those robo calls at some point. Well, I've had enough and I'm putting a stop to them. Granted I've had the same number for 20+ years. I'm on the Do Not Call list, but that only works for legit people/companies. Scammers like Card Services and the "Microsoft" technical support ignore that and call anyways. I've tried various methods over the years (being polite and asking them to remove me, being as rude and vulgar as possible, screwing with them to waste their time, blasting a air horn into the phone) all to no avail.

There is a free service called nomorobo.com to stop them, but your phone provider has to support Simultaneous Ring for it to work, mine does not (thanks Charter) so I had to look to other methods and I think I found it. I'm using a program called PhoneTrayFree (v1.39) and I had to get a dialup modem that supported voice features. I picked up a HiRO usb H50113 and used the modded driver from the PhoneTray forum to fully enable the voice feature. Unless your on my whitelist you get the SIT disconnected tones (if that doesn't work I have a HQ fax machine wav for ya). It seems to be working, I've only had it setup for a few days but hopefully the disconnected tones will fool the robo dialer and finally remove my number.

The phone will ring once (the CID info is transmitted after the first ring) but if it doesn't ring again, then it was just a robo caller getting zapped. In the end it cost me 30 bucks and a little time, but if it stops them it was well worth it. Hopefully this might help out others that are tired of these kinds of calls that can't use the free nomorobo service.

I've tried various methods over the years (being polite and asking them to remove me, being as rude and vulgar as possible, screwing with them to waste their time, blasting a air horn into the phone) all to no avail.

HAHAH I have to try this sometime one day.

Hopefully this all works out. I would think of this but on the other hand I think I am afraid of more false positives. Not to mention I do not get a whole lot of spam callers.

Nice (Y)

It blocks everything that's not on your whitelist? Wouldn't that also block a lot of legitimate call?

Yeah, only thing not blocked are local calls (and the people/numbers on the whitelist. Yeah it might get a few legit calls, but that's ok too. Really don't get that many calls (other than the ones I'm trying block). So far, only one call has come through since setting this up.

HAHAH I have to try this sometime one day.

Hopefully this all works out. I would think of this but on the other hand I think I am afraid of more false positives. Not to mention I do not get a whole lot of spam callers.

It was kinda funny, but it failed to get my number removed.

Same area code as yours, or just the same originating area code? :P

:lol: Probably the later - if it's the same area code as his they'll all be going thru.

Just a little update: When I set this up it was right before the holidays and knew the number of calls would be low (if any) and figured they'd start back up around the 5th. I was not wrong. Got one call everyday (except Friday the 9th) that week, but not for the same scam. It's still not enough time to see if this is really working yet, but I'll see what happens this week. I'm hoping by the end of the month I should see some results.

Just a little update: When I set this up it was right before the holidays and knew the number of calls would be low (if any) and figured they'd start back up around the 5th. I was not wrong. Got one call everyday (except Friday the 9th) that week, but not for the same scam. It's still not enough time to see if this is really working yet, but I'll see what happens this week. I'm hoping by the end of the month I should see some results.

How do you know you got one Call/Day? Were they blocked?

are the numbers actual spam?

Yes, I look them up online at a few different places to make sure, so far they have been. All point back to various scams.

Yes, I look them up online at a few different places to make sure, so far they have been. All point back to various scams.

Good to see it works!

So it's been almost a month since setting up my anti-robodialer experiment. Still not sure it's totally working or if I'm just about to come into call rotation again. Really need another month to compare, but the calls in the second half of the month went down. 4 calls the first week, 5 the second, 2 the third and 2 this week (with one more day to go). I have changed the answer message from the disconnected tone to the fax machine this week. Included a screen of the call log (with friends/family/legit calls removed) and the different weeks highlighted: 4IXKB5B.jpg

Still need more data to have a conclusive answer as to if it's working or not, but so far it looks like it's doing something.

Yeah, looks like an effective solution! Nice work CrashGordon

I think it's still too early to make a definitive conclusion, but yeah it looks like it's done something for the better. Zero spam/scam calls since I posted last, but the month is just starting.