Sign in to follow this  
Rave

Rave finally decides to build a new PC.

Hello community of APH, I've finally decided to build my very first PC I can call my own. Many of you may remember me as a guest writer on a case review for the Thermaltake Armor Revo. You might wonder what I mean by a computer I can call my own and it's pretty simple, I'm using hand-me-down parts. If the Weasley family from the Harry Potter series is renowned for hand-me-down essentials, I would be the equivalent in terms of computer components.

So what do I own from my current PC?

CPU cooler and two case fans. :thumbsup:

Now, let's get down to business of what the new computer composes of that I am still in the process of building.

CPU: i7-4790k (waiting)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 (waiting)

MB: Asus Maximus VII Formula

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB)

Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB SSD

GPU: EVGA GTX 980 4GB SC (x2 SLI)

Case: Corsair 750D

PSU: Antec Platinum 1300W

Case Fans:

-Noctua 140mm NF-P14 FLX (x2)

-Noctua 140mm NF-A14 FLX (x3)

-Noctua 120mm S12A ULN (x1)

-2 fans still required

Pictures coming soon!

Thanks! I have everything on hand besides the remaining two case fans (out of stock), CPU (shipped), and CPU cooler(shipped).

Turns out the motherboard armor on the ASUS VII Formula conflicts with many larger air coolers so I have went with Thermaltake's Water 3.0 Pro. On the other hand, pictures will be up this weekend.

I'm currently using an old ASUS VW246H. Keeping my eyes on some Asus 144hz/1ms monitors at the moment.

I'd definitely recommend getting some high end Dell IPS monitors instead :P

:lol: The chc would definitely recommend a pair of U2413.

... me too.

Nice (Y) I think you can clean up the cabling near the bottom. Also, I think your radiator is upside-down.

Those Noctua fans though :o

The Dell IPS monitors produces the best colors and overall performance.

Thanks!, will try to clean up cable management a bit more and potentially modify the front plate of the 750D. It keeps the noise down but reduces the double 140mm air intake. No idea how to run 3dmark :S

Tried 3D mark, works with one card but with SLI on the PSU gets fried. had to go back to the store to swap my PSU twice. Perhaps 1300W isn't enough for two 980s under benchmark? Quite confused. On the other hand, since I was required to re-do my cable management, I took the time to tidy things up.

YZeQc7V.jpg

Edited by Rave

1300W is more than enough to power 2 GTX 980's. You are probably barely utilizing 50% of the capability (Normally you'll want about 50% utilization for maximum efficiency).

By the way, your radiator fan is pointing the wrong way. It should push into the radiator. :P

Hmm, that's weird. Any idea why the PSU becomes a potato before 3dmark tests on SLI? It happened twice on the intro scene (<10s in). I'm running all intake with the top as exhaust for my fan orientation.

^ That's a good suggestion. I don't see why the HCP Platinum would fail. Your PSU should have overload protection anyway (But I'm pretty sure it's not because you don't have enough juice.)

Thanks for the suggestion Big bang, I had tested both GPUS and both yielded relative results.

GPU1 run:

SNOnDSs.jpg

GPU2 run:

oFLn3iH.jpg