Sign in to follow this  
chconline

Target pulls out of Canada

:P Here in the US, Target is just as good if not better as Walmart. Looks like things are different up there.

Edited by TL6MT

I don't know about you, but I actually enjoyed shopping at Target. It was always quiet and very open concept (at least in the stores). However, I guess being empty is not exactly the best selling point. One could say they missed the target...

Interesting read from Gawker: http://gawker.com/why-was-target-canada-such-a-disaster-1579554288

Good read. Well, the issue is it feels too much like Zellers. Maybe a lot of Americans think you shop at Wal-Mart because you are poor, but I don't think it is an issue here. Everyone buys stuff from there. Zellers is more like the poor person's Wal-Mart that does not sell anything of value. When I go into a Canadian Target, I feel like I am in an empty thrift store. Wal-Mart feels a lot better with a MUCH better selection.

I think if Target started off with maybe 1 or 2 stores per city, actually kept things in stock, and had better locations, it would have been much better.

As someone who once worked retail (but hopefully never again) I can sympathize with the 17000+ employees affected.

One thing from the article was talking about planos and how they would actually rather have empty shelves than filling with overstock... That still amazes me to this day as to why they would not just fill it with other items.

Zellers is more like the poor person's Wal-Mart that does not sell anything of value.

Pretty much, except I would argue that Zellers was a rich person's Wal-Mart since everything they sold was overpriced, haha. Either way, both Zellers and now Target are goners.

Read through both Articles. It seems they're expanding too Fast and they're copy/pasta American form over to Canada. No wonder they Failed.

Also does Canada have the Population to support so many types of these Stores?

I don't know about you, but I actually enjoyed shopping at Target. It was always quiet and very open concept (at least in the stores). However, I guess being empty is not exactly the best selling point. One could say they missed the target...

Interesting read from Gawker: http://gawker.com/why-was-target-canada-such-a-disaster-1579554288

If store managers can't even decide what stock is coming in I think this is a serious management issue. Well at least they're cutting their losses.

Read through both Articles. It seems they're expanding too Fast and they're copy/pasta American form over to Canada. No wonder they Failed.

Also does Canada have the Population to support so many types of these Stores?

Don't see why not. it's just they're not competitive; I don't believe it is a population issue.

Lol, K-Mart closed when I was REALLY young. I remember clearing out the old crap during their closeout sales with my parents :lol:

Just from a business perspective it seems people are aware of Target and willing to go to it. I'm reading news on Target getting more foot-traffic when they said they were pulling out even before the liquidation sales. So if they have actually been competitive in pricing before and stocked shelves they would have been successful.

Some issues:

- Marketing (especially target audience -- no pun intended)

- Supply chain issues

- Poor management

Sales are still pretty crappy. It's pretty impressive how some people are buying things by the cartload as reported by people on RFD. You aren't saving much, if at all.