Sign in to follow this  
TL6MT

What color is this dress?

Not to start some worthless debate here at APH but what do you guys think with this Wired article?

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/science-one-agrees-color-dress/

I know many of you hear have ACTUAL calibrated IPS monitors (same here) and I see blue/black which I agree with the article's analysis.

The way I see it, the whole gold/white vs blue/black dress color debate is because of the monitor people have.

Firstly, I tried it on two calibrated high end monitors. One is the U2413 AH-IPS 8-bit monitor, and the other is the U2412M E-IPS 6-bit monitor, both calibrated with a Spyder4Pro. If you look at the original picture in the article, it is clearly blue/black. Even the one "white balanced" to white/gold on the very left clearly shows the sun's shading to be blue/black. There is no debate about that.

However, I tried it on a lower end TN panel, my 6-bit Samsung 2053BW (Also calibrated with a Spyder4Pro) and I can clearly see gold/white. The 2053BW isn't capable of displaying a lot of colors my high end IPS panels can.

I'm betting most of the people seeing gold/white are viewing it on their cheap laptop monitors, while the blue/black camp are viewing it in MUCH better displays (Probably on their phones, MacBook Pros, or performance desktop monitors). If you're in the gold/white camp, all it shows is you got crappy equipment.

Also: It's actually blue/black. No matter what the white balance is set to, the monitor will still show blue/black.

It looks gold and white to me, on my calibrated U2412M displays. The original dress is undoubtedly blue and black, but the posted image's exposure is so far out of balance, that it looks white and gold to me in its original form. A very weird conundrum, lol. :lol:

Interesting -- looks like it may not just be a monitor issue then :P I showed the pic to some people at church with my iPhone -- which has a pretty darn good IPS display -- and they still saw it as yellow/gold.

On the original photo (middle one) I see it as blue/black (although washed out looking). The left one looks gold/brown/white with a very slight blue-ish tint. The one on the right is very blue/black. :D

Fairly sure my monitor has a TN panel and if I ever calibrated it, I used the one in Windows not a gadget. :P

As to why some see it one way and the other person doesn't (even on the same device) could be some sort of color blindness. Only thing I can think of to explain it.

On the original photo (middle one) I see it as blue/black (although washed out looking). The left one looks gold/brown/white with a very slight blue-ish tint. The one on the right is very blue/black. :D

Fairly sure my monitor has a TN panel and if I ever calibrated it, I used the one in Windows not a gadget. :P

As to why some see it one way and the other person doesn't (even on the same device) could be some sort of color blindness. Only thing I can think of to explain it.

Yeah probably. Actually just looking at the photo again on my TN panel straight on, and the color is accurate :P

It's more of a brain-interpretation thing. I can understand why people see it that way; not that I agree with them.