Sign in to follow this  
chconline

NASA's Kepler Mission Discovers Bigger, Older Cousin to Earth

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4665

Highlight:

Kepler-452b has a diameter 60 percent larger than Earth and is considered a super-Earth-size planet. While its mass and composition are not yet determined, previous research suggests that planets the size of Kepler-452b have a good chance of being rocky.

While Kepler-452b is larger than Earth, its 385-day orbit is only 5 percent longer. The planet is 5 percent farther from its parent star, Kepler-452, than Earth is from the sun. Kepler-452 is 6 billion years old, 1.5 billion years older than our sun, has the same temperature, and is 20 percent brighter, with a diameter 10 percent larger.

1,400 light years away though. :P

I think there's a problem with this article that's more hyped up on social media than it is. Sure it is interesting but if you look closely you'll realize other than the fact it has the same temperature as earth and revolves around a star for roughly the same amount of time geologically it's totally different (based on what we know). Its like saying me and an elephant is the same thing because we both breathe and walk.

I think there's a problem with this article that's more hyped up on social media than it is. Sure it is interesting but if you look closely you'll realize other than the fact it has the same temperature as earth and revolves around a star for roughly the same amount of time geologically it's totally different (based on what we know). Its like saying me and an elephant is the same thing because we both breathe and walk.

Great Point - will have to look into that.

you sir does good reading