Sign in to follow this  
thund3rPunch

Lazy Saturday Cleaning

So the past few days my mom was telling me about how her computer sounded like (and I quote) "an old man breathing it's last breathe". To give some background, my mom is currently using an old Dell Inspiron 530, which was actually my computer from Grade 8. Unfortunately it has definitely seen better days, and the entire machine really did sound terrible. However, it being 9 years old, I knew I should probably clean it up. Considering it has been sitting on carpet for its entire life, I would probably expect some dust. I was not really surprised what I found when I opened it up... but ugh.

XSGsO4b.jpg

Looks pretty clean so far...

dgiDzfF.jpg

Dust... dust everywhere

flQEEjC.jpg

Another perspective...

t3rqYVd.jpg

ATI Radeon 2400 HD 128MB -- looks like a relic... because it is

p5uMtSb.jpg

Dat fan...

Thankfully after about an hour of work, dusting, and some fun with compressed air, it was generally cleaned up. Unfortunately I do not really have an after picture, but I think it is back to new-ish condition. I know I probably could have done a bit more in the cleaning department, especially with the power supply, or the rest of the motherboard. I was more nervous about messing something up really. In the end, I put everything back together, and rebooted the computer, to find it nice and quiet once again.

In the end, it cost me about $10 for the compressed air and an hour of work.

Edited by aeroLai

Lol I remember when you bought that PC :lol:

On the outside, it looks pretty good though. Got to love the dust. Good job... detailing your PC. Also I love how you took all the pics in APH review spec :P

Haha yeah that thing was a dust explosion when I did my first spray of compressed air.

And yeah unfortunately it sits on the floor all the time. We could elevate it now, but it's sitting in our living room now, and my parents would rather hide the machine more than anything else.

I remember those days when my company was in a similar situation having old computers with no dust filters. Makes you wonder how many dust bunnies are hiding around the corner... :|