chconline

Sennheiser CX 6.00BT by Jonathan Kwan

They scored lower than I expected especially from Sennheiser. Thanks for the fair review as always.

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:58 PM, chconline said:

I did. But in thorough testing I think the merits are clear :)

:P Guess First impressions can differ from real test results.

On 3/28/2018 at 2:10 PM, chconline said:

They aren't bad. There are just better options. Every companies has their good and meh products  :P

You said they support AAC, but I see no mention of AAC in any Sennheiser data for these - so how did you determine they were using AAC with your iphone x?  Could their less than stellar perfmance be due to downgrading to SBC?

Welcome to APH!

Yeah, I think in my original edit, I didn't mention AAC support but I was informed from somewhere that it did support AAC. That said, to a certain extent you can tell whether the earphones' performance are bitrate limited or just design limited. In this case, the intrinsic characteristics of the CX 6.00BT are definitely not bitrate or codec limited.

I did some headphone reviews in the past where I compared to wired mode and wireless mode side-by-side. You can tell the difference if you listen very carefully side-by-side, but not to the extent it completely knocks them earphones down a performance grade. I don't believe their less than stellar performance is due to downgrading to SBC. :)

Thanks. I’m an older guy so been around the block more than a few times seeing hyped up everythings come and go. Fast forward to today - I tend to agree about the difficulty for the human ear to empirically discern fine differences between the codecs and/or in comparison to the basic SBC.

I have only listened to a few Bluetooth sets and actually didn’t know much about codecs until I started reading reviews recently. I got a cheap Aukey to try out a Bluetooth model for outdoor activities 4 yrs ago, most likely no AAC. They definitely do not sound as good as my wired models - old Etymotic and Bose - but no wire yanking them out of my ears. Since they are uncomfortable I figure it’s time to upgrade before I retire when I’ll probably have more time to use them in quieter settings where sound quality is more important than when mowing.

Some reviews make it seem like having proper codec support is the holy grail of getting good sound over Bluetooth and I read some about aptX & AAC showing charts comparing to SBC and it seemed to reinforce the idea that SBC drops precipitously at the far ends, particularly the high end. The charts were not finely constructed so difficult to see exact numbers. Initially, I got to thinking - can a codec change how the physical characteristics of the drivers might limit the response profile - like physical design of speakers has a huge impact?  But with wireless, it seems more complex so I sort of got hooked on finding out more about the codec issue and electronics decoding effect. I ran into you guys and I kind of like the subjective approach but I’m a engineer so crave objective data. In any regard personal experience is likely to vary and personal preferences form opinion and opinion is as they say like certain body parts in that we all have one. At least you guys listen to tons of devices so your opinions are well informed and seem more realistic. Bottom line - I got a “free” CX 6.00BT since it was the best available in the catalog where I could use up my last bit of expiring airline miles. Before I open them to try out I decided to read reviews, so I’m trying to decide if I should bother to keep or just sell and get a pair with better response and more definitively sweat resistant. Based on the codec issue, I shouldn’t be concerned. Based on the sound profile I may be disappointed. But not sure what to get. Beats X maybe offer a flatter profile. Optoma Sport seem to get decent reviews but might not shine on the high end. Bose are getting slammed for build quality - my sons sport BT are coming apart after a year. Anyway - will most likely sell the CX 6. 

You can always open it and see if you like them first. Opinions can be quite subjective.

But yeah, as I've said in the other thread, the codec is just one of the many variables that affect the sound quality in the end. A better codec will provide better performance, but there's a big chain of things going on.

I like data too. Most of us are engineers here at APH :)

23 hours ago, chconline said:

That's an understatement lol.

Welcome to APH twm. For the Aukey headphones it doesn't sound as good as your other headphones is probably more than just the codec.

1 hour ago, TL6MT said:

That's an understatement lol.

Welcome to APH twm. For the Aukey headphones it doesn't sound as good as your other headphones is probably more than just the codec.

No doubt. It was under $15 and 4 yrs ago I just began to consider Bluetooth and really didn’t want to spend a lot since at the time it was just for doing yard work or gym. I was tired of getting the cable snagged yanking the earphones out. Figured it was only a matter of time before the cable came apart or I stepped on one of them crushing it. I also tried a mini Bluetooth receiver which I thought would help with the cable but had problems clipping it securely and if I put it in my shorts pocket, it was no improvement over leaving the phones plugged into my phone. Now I’m considering a better pair of bt phones since I’ve come to enjoy the convenience of no cable to yank. 

On 2/13/2019 at 2:06 PM, chconline said:

You can always open it and see if you like them first. Opinions can be quite subjective.

But yeah, as I've said in the other thread, the codec is just one of the many variables that affect the sound quality in the end. A better codec will provide better performance, but there's a big chain of things going on.

fwiw - as a long time seller of mostly my old PC gear on ebay, best to sell sealed box items to get best price.

finally got reply from sennheiser - In regards to your request, we would like to provide you with the following information:
The CX 6.00 do not support AAC. The products we currently offer that support AAC are the CX Sport, HD1 Free, and Momentum True Wireless.

anyway - will consider the CX Sport although I read a lot of good about optoma. I'm no rush so back to review reading.

Meanwhile I see you mostly delve into PC gear - just got lucky to find your CX reviews I guess. Stay warm up there!

Welcome to APH. For cheaper Headphoens like the CX 6.00 the Codec probably makes little Difference. If you look at this review at the CX Sport the results are mostly Identical.

Ya, fairly close. I read some others that favor the CX Sport but again not by a huge margin.

I just don’t consider $100 cheap - to me under $50 maybe is cheap. So when my pocketbook has to open for a $100 or so, I’m looking for something a notch above. I realize it’s not going to be in the same fidelity range as a $500 set. But if $100 is considered cheap to you then congrats. To be fair if I were not waiting for retirement and still earning my engineering salary, then I would be a lot less $ sensitive. 

Edited by twm53