Sign in to follow this  
TL6MT

Amazon Alexa or Google Home

I'm trying to get into the smart speaker realm and wondering if any forum members have one and what's your preference. Also what model should I choose?

Edited by TL6MT

I have the Echo dot. I used it for quite a while, but I am not really a smart speaker power user. It's nice to have, but for the past while I have it unplugged because I just have not used it for much. It is nice to have it for the weather forecast in the morning, even an alarm cause it is so easy to set. It can read my Kindle books for me which is quite nice though. I received mine as a gift, but if I were to buy one, I would think about if speaking to something is really more useful than just using a smartphone. I have been playing around with the idea of comparing the dot to the Google home mini, but haven't done it. Maybe I should.

I have two Google Home Minis that I plan to play around more with when I have my own place. My friend has a full Amazon Echo, and he seems to use it ever so often. It's good for casting music to it, but I still think it's a bit niche + sound quality isn't a huge priority with these things. If you have a lot of automation in your house, you would benefit from either, as most things support at least these two platforms + Apple's HomeKit. 

My main reason for going with Google is just because I expect more integration with them than with Alexa in the future, but I could be wrong in that prediction.

It's pretty funny though sometimes I would be talking in my room and it would think I said Okay Google. Not the smartest of speakers, but I think it's learning haha. 

Yep especially if you have a Nest... I assume Google probably has more integration in the future. I value my privacy too much though, so I don't have one and have little experience with either :(

Another thing to mention is that the skills, basically the apps, available to the Echo is quite limited. There are plenty to choose from, but they are not useful. There are main skills such as news and weather that are nice. But otherwise it is limited.

I got myself a Google Home back when they had the Black Friday sale. On paper, I preferred it's integration over the Amazon Echo. I mainly use it for getting news, weather, etc. and not much for music since its audio quality is only half decent. I've only really used it for music when I have guests over just as ambient music when we're sitting around talking, having dinner, etc.

Thanks. Google Home it is. Do you guys recommend the regular home or mini?

If you are going to use it more for music streaming, then I would definitely recommend the regular home, since it definitely will get louder. However they are pretty much the same.

I should mention Google has rolled out Bluetooth pairing with any other speakers, so if you want the more budget route / if you already have good speakers with wireless capabilities, then this is an option. 

https://www.blog.google/products/home/google-home-and-bluetooth-speakers-make-perfect-pair/

For the Alexa, you can plug an AUX cable in it for other speakers. I am not sure about Bluetooth connectivity though.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:12 PM, aeroLai said:

If you are going to use it more for music streaming, then I would definitely recommend the regular home, since it definitely will get louder. However they are pretty much the same.

I should mention Google has rolled out Bluetooth pairing with any other speakers, so if you want the more budget route / if you already have good speakers with wireless capabilities, then this is an option. 

https://www.blog.google/products/home/google-home-and-bluetooth-speakers-make-perfect-pair/

how is the lag?

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:16 AM, performance_1 said:

how is the lag?

Shouldn't be too bad since you're not using it to watch Videos.

Thanks for all the input - I bought a Google Home Mini.

Oooh nice haha. I plan to do a bit more of a setup with Philips Hue once I have internet in my home (soooon)

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 3:01 PM, aeroLai said:

Oooh nice haha. I plan to do a bit more of a setup with Philips Hue once I have internet in my home (soooon)

What do you Plan to do with it?

Mood lighting for the most part haha. Also have some plans to play with it for APH lighting.