Sign in to follow this  
medevacvii

medevacvii's 2018 New Setup

Some of you may know me as prestonyuen back in the day when I was still reviewing stuff on APH. I've since changed my screen name to medevacvii, for those that are wondering who I am :P

Back on topic, I've recently done a bit of renovations, so the layout of the room has been redone, did a new paint job, and did new hardwood flooring instead of carpet. Installed some shelves to match the flooring (somewhat; and not shown) to store all my tech (and other) books, and added a couple of decor items, humidifer, etc. around the room.

Still running some old hardware for now. No plans on any upgrades since I don't really need it. Plus, if I upgrade, I tend to go all out, just don't got the cash on hand right now. I had a few servers and networking equipment laying around, but have gotten rid of them. Because of the renovations, I cleaned up a lot of stuff, so here's my new setup.

IMG_0022.JPG

IMG_0023.JPG

IMG_0024.JPG

Specs of my old "new" computer:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4770K
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Formula
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 Series Black Mamba Edition PC3-17000 4x8GB
Graphics: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB
Chassis: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Power: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000W
SSDs / Hard Drives: SanDisk Extreme PRO 1TB; SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB; OCZ Agility 3 240GB; 2x Western Digital Caviar Black 4TB
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

Edited by medevacvii

By the way, put the sub in the corner and put some carpet underneath it. That'll improve the bass response :)

On 4/23/2018 at 9:13 AM, chconline said:

By the way, put the sub in the corner and put some carpet underneath it. That'll improve the bass response :)

I didn't bother moving it yet because I had a slightly different setup before. Will move it later 👍

3 hours ago, Big Bang said:

Nice Setup! Is that a original Apex?

Yep, still kicking.

11 hours ago, HopkinsProgramming said:

Very nice!  I like the Phanteks case.  What cooler are you running?

Thanks.

Good catch, forgot to put it down. Using the Cooler Master Nepton 280L.

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:18 PM, Big Bang said:

Nice Setup! Is that a original Apex?

I remember when the chc had one too.

On 5/1/2018 at 5:33 PM, TL6MT said:

I remember when the chc had one too.

Haha, I did for a short period because the awesome RGB effects.

Finally got around to making some slight modifications. Had a different layout, even from the one I posted above. Had to undo some cable management and redo it in order to move my sub. Here's the final (ish) layout.

IMG_20180504_211548.thumb.jpg.1489e533236fc392cc5e0a516be33937.jpg

I also got a Surface Book 2, courtesy from the IT department at my new job that just started at this past Tuesday 🙂 Right now, it's sitting at mid specs with an i5-7300U, 8GB memory and 256GB SSD, whereas my own Surface Book (note: gen 1) is pretty much fully loaded at the time when I bought it with an i7 6600U, 16GB memory, and 512GB SSD.

We have the potential of upgrading to the i7 model of the S.Book 2 and simply reimage my machine to be passed onto other staff. We're doing trial runs with Microsoft machines (the Books and the Surfaces) at our work, and may eventually phase out to only using Book 2s for staff. I'm working at a private school, so we're evaluating various laptop models for the students (note: not Microsoft). My direct supervisor (the director of IT) asked me to benchmark a handful of laptops, so I guess my previous exp here at APH paid off 😅

Dang double Surface book.

Did they make any physical changes to the chassis, or is it mostly the same?

10 hours ago, Big Bang said:

How do you like the Surface Book 2 compared to the Surface Book 1?

4 hours ago, aeroLai said:

Dang double Surface book.

Did they make any physical changes to the chassis, or is it mostly the same?

They've made some major improvements to the hinge design, so it reduced a lot of the "wobbliness" in the screen when using laptop touch mode. I think they've reinforced the frame some more if I remember correctly from one of their videos. The release/attach mechanism has also been improved, and release/attach times have improved over last gen.

Firmware-wise, it looks like they've upgraded the BIOS, drivers, and actual firmware interfacing with the hardware. Feels more solid than last gen. Haven't used it extensively enough yet to know, but so far so good. My gen 1 Book had a lot of blue screens and crashes, especially when it was initially released. I bought my Book after a few software updates, but they still had issues with it. Even after all the updates, I had some issues. With the Book 2, it feels much more stable so far.

Edited by medevacvii

Lol, who knew Microsoft's own product would have so many issues with their software :P

My MacBook Pro is great at running Windows.

Can you ever have too many screens?

Haha probably, but this isn't it.

Nice updated setup. At first I thought your PC was a screen for some reason.

On 5/11/2018 at 10:07 AM, performance_1 said:

that's a lot of screens

:P

The life of an IT professional.

😛

On 5/15/2018 at 11:20 PM, TL6MT said:

Nice updated setup. At first I thought your PC was a screen for some reason.

Probably because the lighting looks like the background wallpaper I have 😄